“a gem in safety harbor”

Whistle Stop Grill & Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I enjoy live music and when you team it up with an outdoor patio, a varied menu and throw in a few adult beverages, you have a winner. Every time we visit, we have a very good time. Our waitress Barbara does a very good job making you feel at home and she is an excellent server. I have tried many of the items on the menu and you really can't go wrong. Stop in and try for yourself, you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

My family of 6 were all happy with our meals and drinks.
several musicians played the night we were there,

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We've tried this place three times. The first 2 times the service was bad and the food okay, but the third time the service was nonexistent! We try to be fair, which is why we gave it 3 chances, when you can go down the street and get great service with really good food, The Whistle Stop is not worth our time. The final visit was yesterday. It was about 3:00 in the afternoon. There were only about 6 people in the place, which is normal for many places at the time of day. We were told to sit anywhere. We chose a table next to a man and young girl. The waitress stood at their table chatting for about 10 minutes, looked at us and walked away. She was the one who told us to sit anywhere. I thought she was going to get us menus, but we never saw her again! We sat there for about 10 more minutes without seeing a server. No menus, no water, no one saying "I'll be right with you." Nothing! We decided considering the place was pretty much deserted, that the lack of service was outrageous and got up to leave. There was a woman behind the bar, I have no idea if she was a server or bartender. She looked at us, didn't say a word and watched us walk out! I read the other reviews and am amazed that so many say good things about the service, I can't believe the difference between our experiences and theirs! I'm not even including the time I stopped by to get an ice cream cone at the walk-up window. After being told someone would've be right with me, I waited 15 minutes before finally leaving. So actually that's 4 chances they've blown. Never again!

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Third visit to this eclectic little spot; lunch twice and dinner once. All three times service was outstanding, food was absolutely delicious and the atmosphere is casual, casual, casual. On chilly days the "open air" design can be challenging, but they do a good job with outdoor heaters and roll down windows. There is always something interesting on the menu, the bartenders really know their drinks and I feel comfortable bringing out of town guests there with me. One writer mentioned a rodent problem and I have to side with the restaurant on this issue; it is near the water, there are food establishments and outdoor markets everywhere and when you combine the two elements, there will be rodents. They in no way have ever come into the dining area when I visited. They have the BEST fried green tomatoes ever. Ever. Anywhere. Reasonable prices and two for one drinks after 4 p.m. make this place even better. My only dislikes are the limited parking (really limited, but one can walk easily from public parking) and the not so sparkling clean restrooms. All in all, a great place to enjoy casual Florida dining.

1  Thank Auntie1949
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I was at this restaurant with friends for lunch. We asked a shop owner where the locals eat and she sent us to the Whistle Stop. It is mostly under a roof but open on the sides. We could see a stage for music but there was none during our lunchtime visit. The waitress was attentive and did a good job. The menu offers grass fed beef and a few other organic options. There is plenty to choose from. Great burgers and grouper. Drinks were good. I will definitely go back and sure hope that you will stop by, too. Safety Harbor is a picturesque town. You can walk down the pier and look out over the bay. Enjoy!