“Delish!”
Review of Southern Fresh

Southern Fresh
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Southern Fresh uses fresh local ingredients to create the most fresh,flavorful food around. Our restaurant is located in beautiful downtown Safety Harbor in an old house that has been converted over to a restaurant. A Southern Fresh guest can choose to dine inside or outside under beautiful live oaks.
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We really enjoyed a casual dinner here the other night. We got a coupon, we had never heard of this eatery so decided to try it out and very happy we did. The fried chicken was fantastic. So were the sides I ordered, green beans and collards greens, cooked in bacon. My husband ordered the pork which was good but a little on the dry side, could have used a bit more juice or gravy. He had the mashed potatoes and they were very good too. The menu selection is very limited but from what we could see they do everything very well so they are wise to keep it small. We had a nice bottle of red and the prices are very reasonable. The service was very friendly and we will for sure be back. The only small suggestion I would make was that as it became dark (we were sitting outside) it was very hard to see what we were eating....the addition of candles and perhaps some small twinkling outdoor lights would be very helpful and also add to the atmosphere. We will return and advise others to try it for some great southern food!

3  Thank kitten1961

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We visited for lunch and decided to try their fried chicken and it was simply delicious! It was cooked to order, but well worth the wait. The chicken was moist and tender with a nice thin fried crust. Not at all greasy or heavy. Even the sides were hot and fresh. The southern green beans were clearly not from a can and were nicely seasoned with bacon. The red skinned mashed potatoes were fresh and creamy.

We saw some of the meals being served to other customers and there were other dishes that we look forward to trying

We enjoy supporting local owned businesses and it makes it easy to do so here when the food was so good! We will definitely be back again soon!

4  Thank Christine P
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Not too long ago, I did a search for the best fried chicken in Tampa Bay. One of the highly recommended places was an establishment over at Clearwater Beach.I tried it and although it was good, it did not deserve the title of best fried chicken in the area. Last night , I went to Southern Fresh and had their fried chicken. I must admit, this is the real deal. The chicken was excellent and each bite did not disappoint. It was served with mashed potatoes and sauteed fresh vegetables. I really enjoyed the meal not to mention sitting outside by the fire pit under the stars and nearly a full moon, I could not of asked for a better evening! We will return very soon!

3  Thank BuckeyeDan1010
Reviewed March 14, 2013

If you like good simple food you must try Southern Fresh.
I am a true southern boy. Raised on country ham, collards and cornbread. This little place is true to its name. It's southern and it's fresh.
My wife, who has been cooking since she was 8 years old, tried the fried chicken and was wowed by it. Cooked slowly in a cast iron frying pan, perfectly seasoned and juicy. I had the slow roasted pork which was tender, well seasoned and moist, it was succulent. The mashed potatoes were good (I think they need a little cream or butter added) the green beans were better but the collards were the best. Seasoned with ham and some red pepper they were like home. I HOPE THEY WILL ADD SOME CORNBREAD OR BISCUITS TO THE MENU - it would be over the top if they had good bread.
Prices are very reasonable, service was provided by the owner, Aaron, and he was attentive and friendly even as busy as he was doing it all.
The menu is limited and that is a good thing, they are not trying to do everything, taking time developing a menu a little at a time and adding in some specials as they feel comfortable with it.
We hope it will catch on and they can have the kind of success that a neighbor, Green Springs, has had. This place reminds me a little of Green Springs when it first opened.

1  Thank comeonbobby
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This restaurant is a half block off the main street in Safety Harbor. The surroundings are not very attractive for those on the outdoor deck. The interior is pretty basic...county music and the TV set to closed captions..., but I will give them credit for the cloth napkins. The menu is quite limited with the addition of one special...corned beef and cabbage.

As other reviews have mentioned, expect to wait for your food to be prepared. However, this is an indication that it was prepared fresh for you!

My wife had the slow cooked pork with collard greens and roasted vegetables. The meat was tender but on the greasy side. I cannot tolerate greasy food, so I had the grilled salmon with lemon and caper sauce. (I know, this was not a southern dish!) The salmon was done just right, and the sauce was perfect. When it comes to vegetables cooked in the southern style, read "lots of salt, pepper and over-cooked". These veggies met that standard, so check your blood pressure after enjoying this tasty food. The mashed potatoes were delicious.

If your stomach can tolerate southern style cooking, you may want to give this place a try.

1  Thank BobNepean