“Great local fish house, limitations though”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Fish House

The Fish House
Ranked #5 of 56 Restaurants in Ruskin
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Iowa
“Great local fish house, limitations though”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

Had a light lunch here after golf based on recommendation. It is just an old shack with two windows for food (one to order, one to pick up). I had shrimp cocktail and cheese grits, and both were great. The place was full of locals at 2pm. I'd certainly go back.

Tampa
“Worms in fish? Seriously??”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

We have been comming here for a few years now. We always get their mullet. We took 3 this time and took them home. When we got home the fish had an overwelming smell of pepper and it smelled a little spoiled. We then inspected the fish and found that there were white little worms crawling in the fish "YUCK" It looked like the fish was laying around for a few days and was not cooked that day. This was the last time that we eat there. My wife called for a refund and now 4 days later there is no response from the mager or the restaurant.

3 Thank Sputnik6
Tampa, Florida
“Never Again and the Owner”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

A splurge on a plate of fried seafood is a must in my book. Nothing better when prepared right with fresh wild caught fare. I drove the hour plus round trip to The Fish House with my mom to check it out. The place was buzzing at 5 in the afternoon. On a June day I expected it to be quite hot. They have plenty of fans to keep all very comfortable in their outside only seating area. We ordered the grouper dinner and the shrimp dinner. It was suggested that we try the fried green tomatoes so we added them to our order. I was shocked at the little amount of fish that was served that looked to be leftover end pieces. I have never seen grouper that resembled what was served. Normally grouper is thick and this was very thin. The basket was mostly fries. The shrimp basket was mostly fried okra. A hand full of fried small shrimp that were soggy and had to much breading for me. The fried tomatoes I would pass on and I love them. The coleslaw was good. The Fish Market pleases lots of people. Good for them. What I know is that you can't please all of the people all of the time. I gave it a shot and it did not pass in my book. I would have left it at that. I won't because what was even more shocking was the owners' response to me when I nicely, quietly and calmly returned my food to her. I asked if the grouper basket was indeed the larger portion and wanted to be sure that it was grouper. She assured me that no mistake had been made. She rudely and loudly asked me " What is wrong with my food? Why would you not like it? Everyone likes my food. What is wrong with you?" She picked up a shrimp from my basket, took a bite and threw the remaining bite back in my basket!!!!!! Saying again," What is wrong with it? What is wrong with it?" I responded very quietly that I was attempting to not draw attention and that I was aware of her excellent reviews. That we drove over from Tampa because of them. I nicely and humbly said to her that I felt like I was paying for the fried side items and that I had not seen grouper so thin and curled up. I was nicely inquiring to ensure a mistake had not been made. She looked at me and yelled "I am giving you your money back!" I told her that I did not expect to be refunded the total bill that my mom was now eating her dinner. She said, "I am sure you don't expect it, after all you are from Tampa. You can pay anything you want for anything. You are getting it all back!" I did not say another word. She threw the $41.00 in my hand and stormed off. I gladly accepted it. I sat back down with my mom and calmly talked with her while she finished. When you own a business one must know that you will be given feedback. Take the good with the bad. Look for opportunities to improve with the negative or take it with a grain of salt. Smile, thank them for their business and even more for taking the time to share their thoughts. I have never experienced an employee mush less an owner act like and behave like a toddler. I was embarrassed for her. Hopefully she was later, Too late tho. Look at the message she sent to all that were there.

11 Thank susant771
Fruitland Park, Florida
“Wonderful seafood..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

We had scallops and shrimp. Both were fried with very thin batter.
They were great. The okra was also very good.

Visited May 2014
“Greasy, bland, soggy plate of food!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I drove (05-31-14) twenty miles (one way) to try the food at this establishment due to the TripAdvisor rating...never again. I ordered the soggy crab/shrimp combo. Both the crab and shrimp were greasy and in need of a bath in Old Bay seasoning. The fries were under cooked (limp) and seemed to be prepared using 10w30 oil. My wife's fish/shrimp combo was just as savorless with soft and wet undercooked fish. Our order totaled $38.00, too steep of a price for this filth...fool me once, maybe (ok they did). I will not be fooled twice. The rating does not communicate the truth!

Visited May 2014