We stayed in the Harborside Suites portion of the resort in an 2-story 3bdr/3 bath unit for one week in early April. The resort was booked to capacity, thus our check-in was delayed. After driving 1100 miles to get there, our family (5 adults and a one year old) were tired and cranky, so this was an inconvenience we brought up to the resort staff. We were compensated with 6 free drinks for use at their restaurant or tiki bar. We were extremely impressed with the accommodations overall. There was one bedroom/bath on the main level, along with the kitchen, living/dining area, and a balcony. The upstairs had 2 bedrooms/baths and a balcony attached to one of the bedrooms. The unit was decently stocked with basic utensils/cookware and some (not many) toiletries/soaps/etc. Our only complaint was the carpet-it had seen better days no doubt. With how often we were coming in/out to/from the beach and pool it's no wonder the carpet wears quickly, as I'm sure most of the unit's users are doing the same.If you are booking in the harborside suites, do your best to request and score a "harbor view." We were lucky enough to get a top floor unit with this view and I am sure it added 1 star to my rating, at least.
The location (Ruskin, FL) is a pretty desolate area by vacation standards, no doubt. Shame on those reviewers who took points off of the resort for this, though. Do your research ahead of time (pinpoint Ruskin on a map, for example) and you will find yourself aware of this issue and you can then choose not to book your stay here. We took day trips to Clearwater and St. Petersburg. The drive to each took about 40 minutes. There is a SuperWalmart about 15 minutes away, but other grocery stores and fast food are a tad closer than that.
The beach left much to be desired. Had it not been for our great accommodations, I would have downgraded my rating to 3 stars because of this. It was private and not too crowded; however there were VERY FEW chair/umbrellas available for set-up and the water was slightly murky. If you're looking for good swimming/ocean-like waters....head to St. Pete's or Clearwater. The pool closest to our unit on the other hand was GREAT. Water was decently warm, there was a hot tub, plenty of lounge chairs/umbrellas, and a communal gas grill and nice seating area too.
We ate dinner at the restaurant (Sunset Grille) once. Food was a bit pricey, but very good. We had appetizers and drinks at the Tiki Bar a few times. Excellent Mai Tais and reasonably priced. Plus the view was awesome for sunsets. The atmosphere did get a little rowdy though, especially on the weekends.
Overall, a great place for families. The crowd was generally senior citizens and families with young children (we went while most schools were in session, after the Easter holiday). The rowdiness at the bar area was due to the fact that it isn't a private establishment. It seems the locals do congregate there to blow off some steam...but this only seemed to happen on the weekends after 7pm. My advice: request a harbor view and stop at the grocery store (so you can cook a majority of meals in the unit). This place worked out great for us, as our son is still so young that a pool and beach was all he needed to be entertained for the week!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to your Caribbean-style island resort on the South Shore of Tampa Bay - The Resort & Club at Little Harbor. This unique resort and residential village provides a harmonious blend of Anglo-Caribbean architecture, lush tropical landscaping, island style hospitality and the natural wonders of a waterfront resort.Conveniently secluded between Tampa and Sarasota, The Resort & Club at Little Harbor is a full-service, AAA Travel Guide, three-diamond, resort hotel and conference center situated on 124 acres, completely surrounded by the tranquil waters of our harbors, marinas and Tampa Bay. No matter how you choose to spend your time, we have an option for you at The Resort & Club at Little Harbor. Relax and enjoy our half mile stretch of secluded, white sandy beach. Take a dip in one of three heated pools and two Jacuzzi. Feeling competitive? Shoot hoops, play beach volleyball or play tennis on one of our five tennis courts. The entire family will enjoy themselves on our 250 foot fishing pier shuffleboard court horseshoe field or in our two fitness centers or enjoy our watersports including kayaks, jetskis, hydro bikes or paddleboards.Boaters arrive in paradise with deep-water access, 330 wet-slips, 220 high and dry slips, on-site fuel dock, bait and tackle store, fully stocked ship’s store, and boat trailer parking with near-by flats and deep sea fishing.Dine at one of two waterfront restaurants, The Sunset Grill or Sunset lounge and our beach-side Tiki Bar. Choose from a selection of steaks, sumptuous seafood, stacked sandwiches open seven days a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with live entertainment outside on Friday Through Sunday evenings.The Resort & Club at Little Harbor offers a vast array of guest room accommodations perfect for individuals, couples, families and groups desiring a resort destination. Guest accommodations include our standard, deluxe and Junior Suites along with our brand new studio, one, two and three bedroom suites and town homes, all offering breathtaking water views of Tampa Bay or our marinas, harbor and nature preserves.All guest rooms have been completely renovated to provide you with the necessary conveniences to ensure your comfort. An iron and ironing board, hair dryer, coffee maker, microwave and mini refrigerator are standard items in every room. A spacious work desk area with ample lighting, direct dial telephones, free high-speed internet access, 32" flat screen color cable television with free premium channels. Individual climate control air conditioning and heating, private bathrooms with granite counter tops and private balconies or patios. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TravelClick, Hotwire, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, getaroom.com, Orbitz, Odigeo, Hotels.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Resort & Club at Little Harbor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Resort & Club At Little Harbor Hotel Ruskin
- The Resort And Club At Little Harbor
- Hotel At Little Harbor
- Resort At Little Harbor
- Resort Club Little Harbor