“The Flub at Little Harbor”

The Inn at Little Harbor
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Ruskin
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I recently spent a well deserved week at this resort/hotel/inn on Tampa Bay. We certainly didn't expect to walk into a room that had the filthiest carpeting I've ever seen. It was so dirty and fraying that it was actually a tripping hazard. The walls were dirty in the kitchen, the promised dish detergent consisted of one squirt from a tiny bottle, the fridge had recently been turned off and there was water from the freezer all over the kitchen floor, the bed was so old and soft that when we sat down on it, we actually sunk almost to the floor. We're actually small adults so we feel very sorry for anyone that might be older or handicapped. For some reason our building had no laundry facilities and we had to walk/run thru the open courtyard to go to the next building to do laundry. The bathroom was unbelievable; there was NOWHERE to put anything. At all! No cabinets, no vanity, not even a small table. Our soap, shampoo, deodorants and personal items had to be kept in the bedroom and brought out each time we needed them...and then there was no place to put them down! The restaurant they brag about wouldn't answer the phone and their mailbox was full so we couldn't order, make reservations or anything else. When we did try it, the food was terrible...the bartender was a surly young man who obvioulsly hated his job and the food was nothing to brag about. The only good thing I can say about this place is that the pools are heated and the view is lovely...long as you're in the right building, that is! Overall I wouldn't recommend this Inn or whatever they call it to anybody.

Room Tip: Buildings A, B and C face a parking lot, but avoid A like the plague! Dirty, smelly hall carpeting...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank bishopbethkate

Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is our 2nd stay at Little Harbor and we're fully satisfied. We booked through our vacation club into a 2 bedroom suite in the Harborside Suites. The staff has been excellent. As with most properties, the appliances are functional but the lower end but I wasn't looking to cook a feast, just bacon and eggs.

We like the property, location and staff and hope to be able to get back next year.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael J
nancybryant, General Manager at The Inn at Little Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Michael, We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us for a second time, we can' t wait to see you again in the future.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

I booked this resort through TAN ( those who are club members, will know what the initials stand for). I read the reviews before our trip on April 6th and I was some concerned. MY husband and I stayed on the 2nd floor at the Harborview Suites. We had a very spacious and clean 2 bedroom/2 bath unit. The view from our balconies was of the harbor and front entrance way. The staff were very receptive to an issue I had with our garbage disposal...within 10 minutes of reporting the problem, someone was there to fix it. Facilities are great with the pools, hot tub, BBQ grills, a sandy waterfront at Tampa Bay and the restaurants. Although Ruskin is a small town, there was a decent grocery store, churches and department stores nearby. Within a 2 hour driving radius there are many attractions....we did Tampa Hard Rock, Busch Gardens, some restaurants in Apollo Beach, and Tarpon Springs. Weather was perfect...we plan a return trip next year.

3  Thank Becky25_retired

Becky, Thank you so much for taking the time to review the resort, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am especially happy to hear that our team were responsive to your needs and reacted to take care of your maintenance issue.
We are glad that you were able to take advantage of the resort amenities and the beautiful views across Tampa Bay. We look forward to seeing you again and please do not hesitate to ask our staff for places to visit within the area.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I chose this Inn because it looked cute and was a good price. The rooms looked like they had been renovated recently as well. The rooms had indeed been given new furniture sometime recently, but it is still in a very old VERY DIRTY building. The rooms smell disgusting, like mold. I noticed as soon as we opened the door. I hoped it wouldn't smell so bad once the air was running for awhile. 6 hours later, it still smelled moldy/musty. We ran up to the store and I bought an air freshner (it helped a bit). When taking a shower the first night, I saw there was mold all along the ceiling above the shower. I had also noticed mold along the edge of the shower and the tile. I'm not a clean freak or anything...but it was so noticeable. It was gross. I tried to ignore it. When I went to brush my teeth before bed, the was a huge ROACH crawling on my toothbrush. NO JOKE, on the toothbrush! I grew up in Florida and am not deathly afraid of bugs, but this was so disgusting. My husband tried to kill it and it ran inbetween the counter and the wall. It was gone. I couldn't just go to bed knowing it was there. I went to the front desk to talk to them. On the way down the other side of the hall (I had entered from the opposite side of the hall previously because my room and where I parked was closest to the hallway door) I saw at least ten other roaches. Seriously, at least ten, in the hallway. Some were dead and some were not. They were just hanging out in the hallway infront of guest rooms and such. Also, I need to note this is an inside hallway. By the time I got to the front desk, I was so disgusted and creeped out!! Longstory short, the front desk person basically said they have bug problems in the "old building" (which is the "inn"). She did not seem surprised at all. They did upgrade us to the "Resort at Little Harbor" for free. Brand new building a block away and totally worth the extra $$ (had I known earlier).

Room Tip: Pay the extra money to stay at the resort!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Courtney S
Reviewed April 17, 2013

The suites on the harborside are beautiful! Nicely decorated, and quiet. We had a studio which is roomy enough for a couple. Everything is kept clean. There is security walking the property all the time, who may ask that you your name and room number just to be sure you are supposed to be there.. We had a great stay and cannot wait to go there again!

Room Tip: If given a choice choose the harbor view!
1  Thank Nanaotwo

Thank you so much for taking your time to review our resort. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us, the studios are perfect for a weekend getaway. We hope that we will see you again in the future for another relaxing getaway.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Mystery Man (MM) and I just returned from a relaxing trip to The Little Harbor, and we could not be more satisfied with our stay. The staff is receptive to feedback, and listened to my concerns that I had from the mixed bag of reviews from TripAdvisor.

The Harborview suite where we stayed was beaultiful, and housekeeping was not an issue. On the day when there were multiple guests checking out, our room did not get cleaned until late afternoon, but it was not an issue since were were out anyway. The amenities were fantastic: I was treated to a grilled steak dinner by MM using the shared large propane grill on the Harborview Suites side (Bldg C) by the heated pool and outdoor fireplace. We visited 2 of the 3 pools on the property (only because we wanted to maximize our sun exposure!), and they were fully stocked with towels.

Ruskin is a quiet little town, and the nearest CVS, Walmart, etc is about 12 miles away. The breakfast buffets on Sat and Sun (Sun was the largest of the two, with 2 complimentary mimosas) were perfect, not too much food...just right. We ate dinner at Berns in Tampa, at which we were pleasantly surprised by a tour of the kitchen and the huge wine cellar!

We had a wonderful time, and look forward to coming back next year to take in all that we couldn't fit in in our extended weekend away.

Room Tip: Harborview. Bldg C. Do not overlook the pool as it gets a little noisy with the kids. Go for a highe...
3  Thank MarieFS

Marie, Thank you for taking the time to review our resort, we are thrilled that you enjoyed your extended getaway, it is the perfect place, to unwind and spend time with that special someone. I am especially happy to hear that our staff were receptive to your needs and found the perfect accommodation for your needs. We do hope to see you again in the future so that you can experience all the amenities that Little Harbor has to offer.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Pleasantly surprised. Resort was in very quiet location with lots of ammentities. Nice bar, restuarant, and beach on the Bay. Was concerned after reviews. Minor negatives - Carpets stained in living room but floors were not dirty. Stayed in harbor side 1 bedroom suite with view of harbor and bay, and was very nice. Saw manetees in Harbor each day which was great and saw dolphins in bay. Drinks at bar were very good and bartenders were great. Food at resort was also very good. If you like it quiet and not car to car traffic heading to town, this is a good place. Some hidden gems in local restuarants- Fish House, Popi's V, and Ybor Grille.
Price was very reasonable. Front desk, Chistina was very helpfull. Only updating needed is new carpeting.

Room Tip: Trip Advisor- Please just put my name as JoJo (Not) jojonash
4  Thank joe n

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to write a review, we are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to enjoy the amenities at the resort, especially the tiki bar and restaurant, you can't beat the sunsets. We are addressing the issue with the carpets, so hopefully next time you stay you will see an improvement. We look forward to seeing you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruskin
Harborside Suites at Little Harbor
Sleep Inn & Suites Riverfront - Ellenton
Red Roof Inn Tampa Brandon
Hilton Garden Inn Tampa / Riverview / Brandon
Pirates Pointe Resort

Been to The Inn at Little Harbor? Share your experiences!