“Never again”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Ruskin
East Lake, FL
“Never again”
Reviewed January 23, 2008

My husband and I travel a lot, and have stayed everywhere from the
motel 6 to the ritz carlton; this was by far the worst hotel ever and we
didn't even stay the whole time! First, don't believe their website it is
completely fabricated. The pictures are photo shopped; nothing is
located directly on the water. When we drove up we had to drive through a
massive amount of construction to a poorly labled lobby. When I had
called the hotel weeks prior I was assured that all rooms are water view
and so I had nothing to worry about (their website says the same thing),
but when we got to our room the only view we had was of a big, ugly,
1980's style building. When we went back to request a different room, we
did not see paying over $200 dollers a night to look at a building)
they told us they were fully booked; however, we saw only two other cars
in the whole complex. They told us they could move us to a standard
room, which we did, but when we got up to it everything was worse. The two
"double beds" were in fact twins, and our "view" now was of a
hellicopter landing pad and a road. None of their rooms are located directly on
the water; they all overlook the road and then grass and then the
water. We went back into the lobby to see if they had anything else (we
could not see two grown adults sleeping in one twin size bed) and they
informed us that none of the rooms on the first floor would be able to see
the water (keep in mind their website and when you call say that all
rooms are water view) and all they had avalible were the two rooms we
saw. When we informed them that this was a horrible place and we were
going to leave, instead of apologizing they said "well, that is one of your
options." We got a refund for our stay and left. Instead we checked
into a hotel about 30 min. away also located on tampa bay, had a
wonderful time, and paid $80 less for a nicer room with a king sized bed and a
wonderful water front view.

Bottom line:
1. Their website and brochore pictures are fabricated (either not taken
from the resort or photo shopped)
2. The staff and website lie: there are no water front rooms and only a
select few (all standard rooms as told by management) are water view
3. The staff does not care if you are happy or not and are more
interested in selling condo's than having people stay at the hotel
4. The cleaning crew leaves at 3, so I hope you don't have a mess in
your room.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank trisket25

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 27, 2007

Needed a hotel in the Ruskin area while visiting family. This hotel is all there is other than roadside motels. At 99$/night, it was a great surprise and bargain with very comfortable beds, modern furnishings and bedding, internet access, quality toiletries, cable tv with loads of movie channels, fluffiest white towels i've seen in any hotel, 2 pools, a hot tub, a restaurant, tennis courts, parking at the door and the list on. Things you wouldn't care to list in a five star hotel but are glad to promote for this little place. The rooms overlook either the bay with gorgeous sunsets or the marshes with colourful birds and other wildlife. Not exactly a one stop vacation spot but I highly recommend this hotel if you need to be in the area.

• Liked — Proximity to residential area was visiting
  • Disliked — no minibar (but does have a working fridge)
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank LA310
Springfield, MO
Reviewed May 15, 2007

I expected to find a nice sleepy retreat, what I got was an excellent resort experience! Ruskin is tucked away, but the Resort is worth the trip! The staff could not have been more helpful. They anticipated our needs. The food was extraordinary and the rooms were amazing. This is a first class experience for an amazingly low price when compared to similar facilities.

Stayed April 2007
2 Thank MOMOBlue
Central Florida
Reviewed March 26, 2007

My husband and I and a friend (all in our early 40's) from up north decided last minute (on Saturday morning) to go to a beach hotel for the night. We were very pleased with the Inn at Little Harbor. Our room was clean and very spacious, with a fridge/micro/coffee maker as well as a sink separate from the bathroom, which is very helpful with 3 adults. Service at check-in/out was very good. The beds were comfortable, and every room has a balcony or patio. The whole atmosphere was very restful and relaxing with everything you need on site: private beach, 2 pools, tennis courts,fishing dock, marina for boaters, 2 restaurants plus tikibar and outdoor dining area. Ruskin is a small town, with not much for tourists, so there was no "college spring break" crowd, just couples and families looking for a relaxing beach vacation. There were some locals from the Sun City community at the tiki bar and restaurant, and the food was terrific. It is easy to get to from anywhere in Central Florida, and I would definitely go back. There is construction of new condos at the entrance to the resort but it won't impact your stay at all.

• Liked — Spacious room, balcony/patio available in all rooms, fridge/microwave/coffee maker
  • Disliked — In the morning, there was no coffe or continential breakfast in the hotel lobby
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mrscoachb
Englewood, Florida
Reviewed December 26, 2006

My husband and I stayed here one night on our way to Tampa. Although the construction was a bit disconcerting, once we found our bayfront room, we were very happy. The room was large with really beautiful decor. We had a view of the harbor from our room. We especially enjoyed the restaurant on-site and the Tiki Bar. The food was excellent and the presentation was quite amazing. We highly recommend enjoying a meal at the Sunset Grill here. All in all, a very enjoyable experience.

• Liked — decor and comfortable bed
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Harmonizer
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 22, 2006

First you have to come through a lot of construction of condos to get to the resort. No big deal. It gets better.

The most obvious thing I noticed about this location is how quiet it is. Even with a few kids around, somehow the design of the interior halls and rooms dull the noise very well. On Sunday you can hear a pin drop.

Most reviews I read said there was no internet, so I left my laptop at home only to find out as I was checking out that they had recently installed high speed access. So bring your laptop.

As for the rooms and the rest of the resort, the rooms are comfortable, but nothing along the lines of super luxurious. There are no movies available on the TV, which was a drag. The best thing about my room was the view of the harbor. The boats and the seagulls were so relaxing. Try to get on the harbor side because it's shady most of the time and you can sit out on the balcony and veg out. And get on the second floor to avoid the parking lot.

The restaurant has great food, but after a few days you'll be looking for more variety. Good luck, because there is a lack of variety of cultured restaurants within reasonable driving distance. There is the usual Denny's and other chains in Sun City, but they are dirty and crowded with elderly folks and it's hard to get a seat especially at breakfast. I recommend Sonny's Barbecue, if you like meat and potatoes. Otherwise it's back to the resort restaurant!

One drawback is the security. My card key stopped working every day after 5PM. Each time I went to the front desk to get a new one they did not ask for my name or ID. They just gladly handed me not one, but three room keys for the room I requested. I could have gotten into any room I wanted. Not good and I let them know this on the way out, in a nice way.

There are lots of things for you to do like jet skis and boat charters and a 1/2 mile sandy beach. There is also a little playground. Live music on the weekend at nightis very entertaining. Mostly retired couples so your not going to get hit on that much if your a lady.

Overall, the place is cute and generally clean and well kept, but it's not a 5 star resort by any means. It's just a small quiet little fun place with a small pool, beach and nice view.

I would definitely go again just for the rest and relaxation I got. My sleep means a lot to me and there is nothing I hate more than a bunch of drunks coming in the early morning hours raising Kane in the hall and the adjacent rooms. There is NONE of that here.

Oh, be ready for a $5 charge per day for the paper and other amenities. Just pay it and move on. It's worth it to pay a little more here in my opinion.

I Give it 3 stars for quality of room and facilities.

5 stars for quietness and general comfort.

• Stayed April 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed April 20, 2006

Everyone was so nice. Resort had a lot to offer, 2 pools, jacuzzi, tennis courts, shuffleboard, horseshoes, beach volleyball, fitness room etc.
The Tiki Bar is great, be sure to try the Key Lime Pie Martinis. Tiki also has
live music and dancing. Room was quiet. Security is really good around
the resort, we saw patrols alot since new multimillion dollar complex is going up.
We'll defnitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2006
6 Thank MaurenS
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruskin
Harborside Suites at Little Harbor
Red Roof Inn Tampa Brandon
Pirates Pointe Resort
Pirates Pointe Resort
#3 of 4 in Ruskin

Been to The Inn at Little Harbor? Share your experiences!