“What a hassel this place is! Not worth the frustration and money!!”

The Inn at Little Harbor
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Ruskin
Reviewed June 7, 2011

We arrived on a Monday night after dinner and the lobby was very pretty. I expected to have to drive a long ways from the airport and knew it was sucluded. I had been informed that they were only at 30% capacity in the hotel so I asked nicely if they would be willing to upgrade us to the next room up. Only because we were going to be there for 12 days. We were spending a moderate amount of money with them. I wanted the one with a small kitchenette and a bit bigger for all 4 of us. Jennifer at the front desk was very nice about it. She looked and said that she would have to get her managers approval and she wasn't there till the morning. I said I would check back the next day. Long story short they opted not to upgrade me, sadly. I accepted it.
The first room was in building c. Smelly hall, old looking. The room was nice. a little cramped but I was willing to work with it. This room would have been sufficient but after a few days it wore on me. The closet door was broken so everytime I opened it I had to fight to close it. It was behind the door that left the room so it's not like I could have left it open. Also the plug behind the tv only had 1 working outlet. So if we wanted to watch tv or get on the laptop we had to get down and reach behind. The smell to was a bit overwhelming in the hall sometimes. So I called down to the front desk and they offered to move me.
The next day, so day 4 I think we switch in the morning. We were put in the main building on the 2nd floor facing the back pool. It was nice at first. The layout was just a bit different with the closet and kitchen. Still the same size. Everything seemed fine. Later after we had gone out for a few hrs we came back to the room. When I opened the door I smelt a faint smokey smell, cigs. I didn't think to much of it. And it was gone. Later that night bf bed I opened up the bathroom door and the bathroom smelled as if someone had been smoking right on the toilet. I almost yacked it smelled so strong. So I shut the door and looked around. No smell in the hall or outside. so I called down to the front desk and she said she would send security around to find the cause of the smell. I saw him walking down the hall and had him come in and take a smell. He was shocked! After they gave me some air freshener and the fan was on it went away. We went to bed and when I woke up in the morning it was aweful. I felt suffocated by the strong smell of smoke that now filled my room. It was only 6 in the morning, but I got up and went down to the desk in my pjs to change rooms asap. I waited till the kids got up and moved down the hall all the way to the end, now facing the tennis court.
And never leave anything in the room, you may not get it back again. My son accidentally left his new whale stuffed animal from sea world in the first room we were in. I went back a few hours after we had changed the room that first time and the room had already been cleaned. They said it wasn't in the lost and found so I thought the maid had stolen it, and I was upset. They said they would let me know if it came up. Now when we were in our 3rd room, days later the maid just happen to come in and clean while we were there. I was talking to her about my stay and mentioned the whale stuffed animal and she said " I was the one who cleaned that room". "I put it in a clear bag and put it in the lost and found that same day I found it." So I got on the phone and called down and had them check and magically it was there. It had been there the WHOLE time! I swear! Thanks Crystal for putting it away safe!! And Jennifer for being great too!
The third room was ok, however the mini fridge had issues. It had a wall of ice in it and was dripping on the floor. The repair man came to fix it about a half an hour after we had gotten in the room. and he had to defrost it. In the mean time my milk and yogurt and other stuff in the fridge sat on the counter for about an hour and half. ERG! The rest of the stay wasn't so bad.
Manager Nancy with the accent, not so nice.
The water in the bay is not blue like in the pictures on the websight. It is a dingy brown. But it is still a beautiful view of st.pete and has a great pier. Also good for fishing!
The restraunt food is good. Not the best I have ever had. But it was a little pricey. The service there by Christopher and Zulema was great! Very on top of things and nice. The view and the tiki bar are really sweet! We also rented the kiacka and that was really fun. Hot, but fun!
Also most of the staff at the hotel doesn't smile. They aren't really rude, but not really friendly either.

Room Tip: Get something better than delux if you stay here!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank nuttymeg88

Reviewed June 7, 2011

I stayed here twice in the month of May; a few days at the beginning of the month and a week at the end of the month. I love this place! If you are looking for a quiet place to get away this it is. If you are looking for a "party" resort this is not it. Resort is approx. 45 minutes south of Tampa. Like I said it is a quiet resort, even the children vacationing with there families wer the most well behaved children I've encountered in a long time.Rooms are very nice, especially the one I had on the 2nd floor on my second visit. Staff is very friendly. Called front desk to report a blown light bulb in my room, maintenance was there within minutes. I will stay here any time I'm in the Ruskin, FL area

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank 4Sunshine2014
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Flew into Tampa Int'l airport, it's about a 45 minute ride. Call the hotel, they have a discout code you can use for supershuttle and a limo service. The town (Gibsonton) you go thru to get to the resort leaves a lot to be desired but once you get there it was nice. Front desk staff was fine. Room had a microwave and refrigerator, TV had 112 channels to include HBO, Showtime, Starz, Encore. My complaint is the noisy air conditioning unit and the full size bed. Saw a few odd looking bugs nothing overwhelming: if they sprayed or put sticky tape down would take care of it. Two pools, the one closest to the front was small but quiet. The other pool was larger and tended to have more 'tipsy' people. Our room faced the marina saw manatees in the afternoon< pretty cool. The restaurant staff was great (Rolando and Stephanie especially), older crowd not a lot of teenagers. The entertainment on Sat and Sun evening was pretty good. The few children I saw were well behaved and well mannered. Catch the Sunday breakfast, best I have seen for the price. The same menu is served in all 3 restaurant locations, just depends on the atmosphere you want (tiki,sports, sit-down). We were there 2 full days but could see where the menu would get old really fast. There is nothing in walking distance so will need a car to get variety. Exceptional sunset behind across the bay behind St. Petersburg. It is a private beach but a portion is for public use. Get there early if you want lounge chairs and to rent an umbrella. Can also rent jetskis, kayaks, surf boards. As for the beach, it is rough to walk on but great to walk along and collect seashells. Water was cool not cold in the mornings but actually very warm by afternoon. Not unusual to see fish flying up out of the water.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor (of 2) but not noisy.
2  Thank Loverfrom
Reviewed May 27, 2011

We arrived at around 7:30pm on a Sunday evening. After drining for miles through not much of anything, we finally found the "resort" (and I use that word tentatively). There is nothing for miles - no amenaties, restaurants, nothing.

To cut a very long story short, we checked in and checked out 10 minutes later. There was more life in the bottom of the fridge than in the surrounding area! So with a dirty kitchen, floors and brown marks on the sheets we took our leave without a second glance.

Strong recommendation - DO NOT STAY!!!

I must say though, that Trip Advisor were very accomodating and helpful - thank you.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere...like the Sheraton Hotels!!!
3  Thank Buzz24
Reviewed May 19, 2011

Booked through the "Resort at Little Harbor" website and was really looking for to our stay there. The website photos and write up were unfortunately much better than the reality. Not to say the place was a disaster but it did not meet our expectations. We booked a Harbor Side Condo which was nice enough apart from the air con being quite noisey (equipment in one of the kitchen cupboards) and there was no safe in the room, although believe they are being fitted in the near future. The pool was shared by all the harbor side condos and hence was very busy and quiet noisey at times. The pool area was also quite dirty with cigarette ends and generally not very well kept which was quite suprising as it appeared they were still doing sales tours for prospective buyers.
The on site restaurants were a bit disappointing, all 3 having the same menu although the meals we had there were quite good. The Tikki bar seemed to have a good atmosphere but looked scruffy with cheap tables & chairs. It could have been so much better without losing it's buzz. The Sunset Lounge which is the bar/restaurant, was what you would expect from the a typical bar/diner. What really disappointed was the Sunset Grill restaurant. Besides the same menu as the others it was also very down market with regards to it's decoration and had nothing to lift it above the other 2 dining areas. Should really have had a different menu and have been better appointed than it was. The good thing from all three was the amazing views of the sun setting over Tampa in the evenings!
The location of the resort is quite remote and we didn't find anything in the area if you wanted to try eating away from there. There may be some, we just did not find them.
All in all not a bad place but with a little more effort and thought, could be so much better.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MillsJB
Reviewed May 17, 2011

We stayed in a 3 bedroom/2 1/2 bath townhome for $200 per night, which included the cleaning fee! It was beautifully decorated & very clean. There were flat screen TV's in the LR and every bedroom! Everything you needed was onsite, even a washer & dryer. You have a beautiful view of the sunset over the bay from your balconies & there are 4 of them (some are in the front, but you still have a nice view). Very good food at the onsite restaurant, & the presentation was very nice. 3 pools & 2 spas on the property, which are kept up very well & the landscaping is beautiful. Looking forward to my return!

Room Tip: Found my rental on FlipKey
Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank SweetT125
Reviewed May 16, 2011

We spent the first 2 nights of our honeymoon here. Very comfortable suite with well stocked kitchen and bath. reasonably priced ,within walking distance to the beach, tiki bar and located right on the marina. There are 2 sections to this resort, hotel and Inn. Rooms in both places are tastefully decorated. Only down side is you need to shop for your food as it is a 10-15 min drive to the grocery store and hotel restaurant isn't always open. They do have coffee pot, refrigerator and hotplate in room. Not much storage space was the only downside.

Room Tip: Check out Orbitz, Travelocity for best rates.
1  Thank freespirit57
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruskin
Harborside Suites at Little Harbor
Red Roof Inn Tampa Brandon
Pirates Pointe Resort
Pirates Pointe Resort
#3 of 4 in Ruskin

Been to The Inn at Little Harbor? Share your experiences!