“the good, the bad and the ugly”

Harborside Suites at Little Harbor
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ruskin
Reviewed March 30, 2014

my wife and i arrived at the begining of mardh(2014) at 8 p.m. as we had just arrived from the west coast. we registered and then were told our room wasn't ready. i was surprised as it was necessary for their visitors to check out in the morning.i was told that the room had been made up but hadn't yet been checked out. after a short wait we were sent to our room. i asked where to park as no information had been given. we went to the elevator to go down to the ground floor and to our building . i pushed the button but nothing happened. after a bit i went to the front desk and asked how to get the elevator. i was then told that there is a slot close be and it was necessary to insert my room card and then push the button. the suite itself was very large with a good size kitchen opening on to a large living room. the bedroom was of a reasonable size with a queen sized bed that was comfortable. the bathroom was very large with a tub and separate enclosed shower. the carpet in the living room was quite frayed in places and had many stains. there was a good sized patio that overlooked the harbor. it was cool in the suite so i went to the thermostat and saw that it indicated a temp. of 83 degrees. this obviously wasn't correct so i called the front desk and they sent up someone from maitenance. he said that the thermostat needed to be recalibrated and that we should just turn the temperature to a setting higher than it was currently registering. he said they would fix it when our visit was over. the next day i went to see the manager who had a new functioning one installed and it worked fine from that point on. my wife went to take a shower and to wash her hair the night we arrived but very little water came out and it took a long time to rinse. when we called the desk again maintenance came up. he said the shower head was clogged with salts. he replaced it and it worked well. the shower door didn't completely close and there was a gap wo you had to be careful not to get water running out. also there was obviously mildew on the . i called the desk, using the button that said "front desk", to ask if the restaurant close by required reservations. after 6 rings the phone dropped the call. i called again and the same thing happened. apparently i was told if the front desk was busy and couldn't answer then the call was dropped. the next day when we returned about 3 o'clock our room had not been made up. i went to the front desk and was told that housekeeping was still working and would get to us. at 6p.m i called the front desk and asked about housekeeping and was told they had already left for the day. i could continue in this vein for another 2 paragraphs but you get the picture. the manager was very pleasant and even took the charges off for one night . however the place really needs several things. 1. an infusion of money to bring it up to minimal standards, 2. a strong management hand and 3. a housekeeping dept. that has been educated as to how to clean a room. the hotel is busy as it is the only one on the gulf in this area. it's a shame because it had potential .

Room Tip: ask for the harbor side
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank pilotwon
Jonathan B, Front Office Manager at Harborside Suites at Little Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Thank you for providing a detailed review on your recent three week stay with us. Your feedback provides our staff the opportunity to improve our product and services. With that said, I regret to hear of the housekeeping and maintenance issues that you encountered during your stay. Your comments have been forwarded to the appropriate managers so that proper training can be conducted to improve our services for future guests. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of further assistance with a future stay.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

We arrived around midnight on a Friday for a 5 night stay only to find we would have to turn around and drive a few miles to reach anything open for food. The room we were given was on the first floor above the garage looking out at the parking lot. At $200 a night that was a bit steep. The next morning we walked around to see what was available in the area and that took about 10 minutes. They have one restaurant with bar attached and there's a sports bar across the parking lot. The beach is very small. It has a small section for the resort that allows no alcohol. The limited number of chairs available was not acceptable. Both pools are rather small as well.
I was ready to check out and head to civilization. We stopped into the Tiki Bar that night expecting the worst. Instead we found a living social setting with a wide rage of age groups. This didn't seem to fit until we started talking to people next to us and found out a large number of the people there are locals. Why? Because it's the best place in a town with only a couple of options. Strange to say the bar kept us there and we enjoyed our stay. The bartenders are amung the best you'll find anywhere. Be there at sundown for some fun. Played golf a couple of days and canoed down the Little Manitee River which was the best!
Would I stay here again, no. But we made lemonade out of lemons and heaed to Tampa (they actually have food there) for the rest of the trip.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dtmck56
Jonathan B, Front Office Manager at Harborside Suites at Little Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a few comments on your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at the Tiki Bar on our resort. I regret that you had trouble finding local dining options. Our friendly front desk staff is always willing to provide guests with a list of recommended local restaurants in the resort's immediate area. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if there is anything I can do to have the opportunity to welcome you once again to our resort.

Warm Regards,
Jonathan
813-922-6000

Reviewed March 10, 2014

I stayed here one night during my recent trip to Tampa.
Make sure you understand that this hotel is in the middle of nowhere. The hotel area is nice as it is a harbor area. The room was nice, nothing fancy about it. I didn't think the bed was even a Queen size. The carpet is definitely very dirty. What gave me a sour taste in my mouth was that when I asked for 1 hour extension for check-out (my wife was not feeling well) the hotel staff flat out refused to accommodate us when the hotel was probably not even half full (I could tell since the guest parking lot was almost empty.)

Overall, nice quiet hotel in the middle of nowhere with staff who has zero customer service.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank MINIMD

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. It is unfortunate to hear that our staff was unable to accommodate your request for a late check out on your departure date. In the future, please feel free to utilize any of our resort's amenities on your departure date, even after you check out of your room. This includes our private beach access, three pools, and either of the two restaurants on property. We also have bathrooms and shower facilities available for you to refresh before heading down the road!

Reviewed March 2, 2014

My husband and I went to visit friends in Ruskin and stayed at this so called "resort". Our room was filthy, floors, counter tops everything was dirty. We scrubbed the floors after leaving a note for housekeeping and they never did it. Bought Clorox wipes to clean counters and refrigerator handle. Toilet kept running and we had to take the lid off the tank to fix it numerous times. I called front desk the first day to complain and they just apologized. We asked to be moved and they said no other rooms were available. The bed was hard as a rock and our sheets were never changed the entire stay, unfortunately we were there for 8 days. This place was horrible. When we complained upon checkout they just apologized and refunded only one nights stay. My bill came to $2056.00. For that price we should have had a clean room with excellent service. I asked to speak to the manager, her name is Nancy, and she was not in yet they said. I waited until after 9:00 am. I left a voicemail for Nancy on Friday, February 28th, and she still has not returned my call. Extremely poor customer service and accommodations. My advice, STAY AWAY! We spent Friday night at the Westin, by Tampa airport, and it was only $170.00. Exceptional room, very clean and excellent customer service.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Sherry228

Thank you for choosing our resort and taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. I'm sorry to hear about the cleanliness issues that you encountered during your stay. I wish that I was aware of these issues during your stay so that we could have addressed them while you were on our resort. I have forwarded your comments to our Executive Housekeeper so that these issues can be addressed immediately. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to provide any further feedback on your stay that you may have. Hopefully you will be able to visit our resort again and enjoy a much more pleasant experience.

Warm Regards,

Jonathan,
813-922-6000

Reviewed January 19, 2014

This is a truly beautiful resort, with outstanding facilities and great service. We stayed in a lovely three bedroom suite with all the best features. From king beds and robes to granite countertops and heated pools, this is a luxury resort. Only negative is the location, which is somewhat isolated. But if you like manatees, come in the winter for a great manatee experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank doug233
Jonathan B, Front Office Manager at Harborside Suites at Little Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your recent stay with us. It's nice hearing that you enjoyed your three bedroom suite accommodations at our luxury resort. I am glad that you were able to enjoy your stay, despite not being fond of our quiet and remote location along the beaches of Tampa Bay. We hope to see you again next winter for another great manatee experience!

Reviewed December 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed here recently and we are already planning a return trip. We stayed in the Harborside Suites and the accommodations were deluxe, incl. a fully stocked kitchen, his and her terry robes, a full sized dining room, and a balcony overlooking the Bay. We could open the windows and the sliding glass doors as they all had screens and enjoy the calming bay breezes. The pool was heated and the hot tub was HOT! And the gym was state of the art. Everything was pristine, freshly painted with lush landscaping. I felt like I was in a high end hotel. But the best part was the quiet and the calm; the nearest highway was miles away. I took a nature walk around the end of the spit of land and it was wonderful, pine groves and white beaches. Sailboats glided out into the sparkling waters of the Bay. Perfect! The staff were exceptional. This hotel should not be missed. We loved this place and plan to return soon.

Room Tip: Make sure you are facing the Bay or the estuary.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jody K
Jonathan B, Front Office Manager at Harborside Suites at Little Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a pleasant review. It is nice to hear the you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. I am glad that you were able to enjoy a relaxing vacation on the white sand beaches of our secluded resort. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed November 25, 2013

My husband and I spent our anniversary week here, and found it very comfortable. We had a one bedroom suite, they call it a hotel, but it is set up more like a condo rental, where you get start up soaps and toiletries, and responsible for your own housekeeping and linens. We had a fully equipped kitchen, washer and dryer, combination sitting area and dining area with a flat screen TV, separate bedroom and bathroom with a large walkin shower, the bedroom also had a second TV, a safe, cable, free Wi-Fi, and tastefully decorated. The area felt safe, I went for afternoon walks alone and never felt uncomfortable. The property backs up to the harbor, that has a lot of docked sail boats and yachts, ans is full of manatees, if you take the time to look for them. The gym was among the best I have experienced when away from home, it felt more like our local home gym, and was fully stocked with working equipment. Machine weights, free weights, clean towels, water and TV's. We did not used the pool or hot tubs, but they looked very nice. The staff was super friendle, and always greeted us, and asked if we needed help. The beach area is private and nice, and chairs and umbrellas are provided free of charge for guests. Ruskin is a sleepy little down, not much to do

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Karen G
Jonathan B, Front Office Manager at Harborside Suites at Little Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2013

Congratulations on your anniversary! I'm glad that you were pleasantly surprised with our condo-style Harborside Suites. According to the contract with the third party wholesaler which you booked through, housekeeping services are not included. I apologize if this was not properly communicated to you prior to your arrival. If you choose to stay with us again in the future, all reservations booked directly through the hotel include housekeeping services. Thank you for the wonderful review. We hope to see you again on future anniversary trips!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruskin
Comfort Inn
The Inn at Little Harbor
Pirates Pointe Resort
Pirates Pointe Resort
#3 of 4 in Ruskin

Been to Harborside Suites at Little Harbor? Share your experiences!