“Very upset with the service we received!”

Pirates Pointe Resort
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Ruskin
Reviewed April 19, 2010

I was very displeased with our visit. We had a few problems that could have easily been taken care of had the property been maintaned the properly. The patio area had not been cleaned...seat cushion were filthy, ground was covered in leaves & there was broken glass all over the ground, which I had to clean myself. They advertised "Free Canoe", when we went to use it it leaked. Upon calling management to find another one or a facility to use one nearby I was rudely told "it wasn't his problem" & "I'll refund your $ & you can go find someplace else to stay". Never an apology. I was very upset by this considering this was our only one yearly vacation trip that we take!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ahoyusa
ResortPirate, Owner at Pirates Pointe Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2011

It is our policy here at Pirates's Pointe to treat each andy every guest like family and ensure total satisfaction at all times. Unfortunately our unhappy camper arrived right after a series of severe thunderstorms that in fact blow all sorts of debris and leaves about the property including a limb that crashed thru her patio table breaking the glass. The guest arrived well afer the maintenance crew had gone home for the day and was not pleased with the thought of having to wait till daylight before her area could be cleaned up. As for the free leaking canoe. I did receive a phone call at 7:00 am on a Saturday morning advising me of the problem. I assured her I would be on site by 9:00am to correct the problem. Not satisfactory she insisted I provide here with my creidt card # so she could go rent a canoe elsewhere. Upon informing her that was not an option it became very clear that satisfying this particular guest was going to be impossible. I did advise her I would not charge her for the one night if she choose to go elsewhere. The guest did choose to stay for three days however forgot to pay her bill. It's a shame we don't always get to pick our family members.

Reviewed January 11, 2010

This resort was a really great choice for "off the beaten path" lodging....especially for those of us who loathe the same 'ol stuff from the chain hotels. Not a lot of nightlife nearby, which was fine by me! We spent most of our time sipping on cold beer and fishing off the dock.. Perfect! We did venture out on a charter fishing trip which was amazing and highly recommended! We will absolutely be back next year - if not sooner!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank SnookRBiting
Reviewed March 4, 2009

We stayed here for three weeks in a remodeled 1 bedroom unit and are very satisfied. The unit was compact, neat and clean. It has a small fenced in patio with a grille which was real nice. Laundry on sight and is new neat and clean. When we arrived, the pool was not heated due to permit issues, but the owner took action and the pool is now heated and comfortable. Pool area is a really nice place to gather. A small bonfire pit was added just as we left and it was a nice place to socialize as well. Dock facilities are new and another great place to hang out. A few things are on the down side. It's right on the river so gaurd against no-see-ums. They ate me alive, but those with me really had no problems. They can fog the property, but it was only done one time in 3 weeks and that was because the owner was giving a cook out. They advertise wifi, but we never had it. The owner said he was working on it. They could use a full time manager on the grounds when little problems pop up or when prospective renters come through. We showed our place four times to prospects when no one was around to help them. We did not mind doing it because Jonothan, the owner, was very nice to all and even cooked a huge meal for the entire place as part of a potluck. The place is very quiet and peaceful. If you're looking for hot nightlife, you may look elsewhere. When you get antsy, there is a public beach 3 miles away, St Pete Beach , Anna Maria island, Sarasota etc are all less than 45 minutes away.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michiganmuscrat
Reviewed February 10, 2009

Pirate's Pointe is within a 5 minute drive of my home. I reserved several cottages for friends who gathered here for a reunion. We virtually packed the resort. We used efficiency cottages, as well as 1, 2, and 3 bedroom cottages. There is a large house available for rent on the property. I did not see the inside of that house.

This place is gorgeous! Every cottage except one is newly remodeled and beautiful. The one needs a lot of work. Each cottage has plasma flat-screened TV, full kitchen, free long-distance telephone, private furnished patio seating areas and full use of the docking facilities. They are very spacious.

The pool area is lovely--terraced with a shaded patio and furniture, landscaped, has a waterfall. There are laundry facilities and a meeting room. Catering for events is available, though we did not use that.

Pirate's Pointe is located on the Little Manatee River. The riverfront linear footage is impressive. The docking facilities are really fine. The grounds are landscaped with lots of flowers and other tropical and native plantings. The cottages are beautiful inside and out, with the exception of the one that has not been updated.

The prices are very reasonable, comparable to Holiday Inn or Holiday Inn Express.

My friends were extremely pleased. I will use Pirates Pointe in the future for guests. I would recommend Pirate's Pointe for retreats and vacations.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruskin
Harborside Suites at Little Harbor
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#1 of 2 in Sun City Center
Hilton Garden Inn Tampa / Riverview / Brandon
Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina
Red Roof Inn Tampa Brandon
The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk

Been to Pirates Pointe Resort? Share your experiences!