“A Bit Disappointed”

Add it.
A-1 Thai Restaurant
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We had read several reviews and had heard many recommendations regarding A-1 Thai on Military Trail that we decided to see what we were missing. This restaurant is located in a strip shopping center and looks like a little hole in the wall. Once inside, it's small but nicely decorated. The restaurant is only open for dinner on Sunday's. The menu is quite small with not a lot of choices.

I had read that the Pad Thai was highly rated so my husband ordered that. I had been with mixed vegetables with one star which was mildly spiced. We ordered spring rolls as an appetizer. We were surprised when our server brought a small salad to each of us and it was just enough to hold us until the spring rolls arrived. The spring rolls and sauce were good.

They serve the rice out of a big bowl and the meals were presented nicely. The beef with vegetables was good but far from outstanding. The pad Thai was disappointing. Although it was good it didn't live up to our expectations from all the recommendations we had.

The prices were reasonable and the service good but it was about 30 minutes from our home so I doubt we would go back.

Date of visit: May 2013

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I totally disagree with the prior reviewer on his comments. In the last three days, I ate here and Thai Basil by Amy, and Thai Room in West Palm. Malakor was best among the three, particularly its crispy duck. Malakor had the most generous portion and the duck was cooked just right, moist and tender; and we loved it with with green or red curry sauce. Their shrimps over Pad Thai were big and juicy, and were cooked perfectly. Tempura cheese cake was good, but it would be perfect if they used a top-of-the-line tempura batter instead of a common restaurant grade.

Date of visit: February 2013
Reviewed December 4, 2012

My how things change...found out about A-1 a few months back...it was wonderful...just like the reviews say...food outstanding....service outstanding...place was a bit outdated, but thats because they had been there so long...then went back a few weeks ago and they were closed...for a month or so...new owners were opening up and remodeling...Malakor...and these new owners have another restaurant in a neighboring town...and the reviews are good...so i was anxious for them to open...and then they did....and we went the first day they were open...and it was disappointing...deeply...but hey...it was their first day...so we went back a couple days later...still just not good....the prices increased dramatically...and whereas with the previous owners u got a salad with ur meal...that was no more...just the entree..no soup or salad...yet way more expensive...and sadly...the food was incredibly disappointing...greasy..oily...and just not good...really wanted it to be good too...i dont see them being in business very long...they were getting lots of complaints about these things....and when i go by now, theres never anyone there...sad...just sad...luckily for me...in our quest to find a new thai restaurant we stumbled upon another newly opened thai restaurant called Thai Basil by Amy. She had previously had a restaurant that was successful for 12 years...then quit to have children and just reopened...and this place..well...its even better than A-1 was and thats saying something, because A-1 was great. Thai Basil by Amy is as good of a Thai restaurant as u will ever find...very small..quaint..but all very fresh...and the food? oh my..just incredible...so very fresh...and unbelievable taste...and priced even less than A-1 was, which was not expensive at all...im frankly concerned that she can be viable for what she has things priced at...but so be it...after having A-1 go out of business, i certainly am pulling for her as its just a great place...family owned and just really has me excited after being so incredibly bummed about A-1. Not sure if Thai Basil by Amy has any reviews or entries yet....but will look to see that it does...because u will not be disappointed with them...

Date of visit: November 2012
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I have been coming here for years. Food is very good! Service is always great! Chicken Panang Curry is my favorite dish!

Date of visit: July 2012
1  Thank EdA496
Reviewed June 29, 2012

My family and my fiancé family have been coming here for over 15 yrs. The owner and staff and very friendly and caring. They get to know you and vice versa and it's like your part of the family. My fiancé and I dine there every two weeks and the waitstaff and the owner know us by name and know exactly what drinks and appetizers we want as soon as we sit down. Love it!!!! Terrific food, the best all around.

1  Thank Loxahatchee84