“This place may look cute from the outside, but it is in need of a serious renovation of staff and decor.”

Ashley’s of Rockledge
Ranked #3 of 78 Restaurants in Rockledge
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

First, the food was just below average. My fish was overcooked and my daughter wouldn't even eat her spaghetti with butter. My husband's fried chicken was good.
Second, the server was none too friendly although she did do her job relatively well. When asked to refill my daughter's milk, I was told that would be a separate charge (ridiculous but fine). However, instead of taking my daughter's cup or bringing a new one, she brought the milk in a soda cup and poured it into her existing cup at the table.
Third, the decor was horrible. There was nothing nostalgic about the 1970s everything. The railing spacing on the second floor overlooking the bar was so wide my three year old could slip through it without turning sideways. The wood was dark and chipped. It was overall grungy.

3  Thank TravellerChristine

Reviewed July 19, 2013

I work in the area and come here once a year or so to see if it has improved and I have never had a good meal there. I have heard others say it was good but for some reason I never have good luck. Service is descent but food is average at best.

1  Thank bekntony
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Friends invited us to join them for a family meal at Ashley's, saying that it was a favorite of their children. They spoke highly of the burgers and sandwiches.

I ordered the Fried Tilapia basket, and my wife tried the Roast Beef Au Jus sandwich. The fish was very good -- freshly prepared, with the right coating of breading on the rather small and thin Tilapia fillets. The fries were crisp and well-seasoned, and the coleslaw was good. The roast beef sandwich was nicely stacked with meat. The prices were good for the amount of food.

Our waitress was not very attentive, and as we seemed to be in a corner that was not along an active traffic way, I had to wait a while to get drink refills.

Ashley's backs right up to the tracks of the Florida East Coast Railway, so don't be startled if a train or two rumbles by during your meal.

1  Thank TotheEndsoftheEarth
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We always admire this lovely stucco and wood building when we drive along US 1 in Rockledge. We promise ourselves regularly that we will dine here. After doing this for 26 years, it finally takes winning an Ashley’s gift card for us to keep this promise.

We easily found a spot in the private parking lot by the side of the quaint restaurant. Since it was early, there were few patrons in the outside deck/bar area when we passed by. It was a Tuesday night and the special listed on the outside blackboard was for Haddock and Scallops. This was our first visit, so we noticed everything about the eatery. The interior is just as charming as its Tudor-style exterior. There was a small reception area/gift counter immediately inside the entrance. I quickly glanced around and saw a few tables near the imposing center stage bar. Way off to the left and right were additional booths and tables. Soon a hostess arrived inquiring if we would like to sit upstairs; we said yes.

After climbing the stairs, I notice large plants hanging down from the high wood ceiling on macramé ropes in the open space above the bar. I love the lofty ceiling and skylights. Sections of stained glass panels and hanging plant separate the upstairs areas, breaking up the space. There is dark flat carpeting on the floor and lovely green material on most of the wooden chairs. Various objects hang on the dark wooden walls of the restaurant, an old tray, mirrors, framed old pictures, etc. Downstairs there are paranormal photographs on the walls. A second staircase leads down to the kitchen and is for the servers’ use.

Amy escorted us to a table for two under one of many old stained glass windows. On the beautiful wood table was a quirky lamp with a rotating meter as its base. We had an open view to the lower level. Amy handed us menus and recited the specials. They all sounded so good. Since it was Happy Hour, we ordered a libation and then settled back to read the menu offerings. Although I had planned to order a seafood entree, once I saw the Irish Tacos Appetizer, $6.99 listed, I changed my mind. Since I never heard of Irish Tacos, I decided to try that. Having a main entrée also would be too much food, so I ordered a Reuben Sandwich, $6.99 with Steak Fries instead of the chips. My husband ordered the crabmeat Stuffed Mushrooms Appetizer, $6.99 and a Portabella Veggie Sandwich, $6.99 with Steak Fries instead of the bag of chips, also. Later Amy came back to say that two of the veggies usually in the Veggie Sandwich were not available. My husband said that the chef should just use whatever he does have in stock.

We both greatly enjoyed our meals. I needed my husband’s help to finish my appetizer and took most of my Reuben and steak fries home with me. My Irish Tacos was really a meal in itself; plenty of crispy thin slices of browned potatoes topped with small cubes of tomatoes, bacon, scallions and melted cheddar cheese served with sour cream and ranch dressing. Everything served was hot and tasty. I was full by the time we left. Prices are reasonable. Service was professional and attentive. It is nice that Ashley’s is not a chain restaurant. We asked Amy how often she has to climb the stairs when she is working. Amy estimated over 150 times and we believe it. She also answered my question about how the hanging plants are watered. I did not ask her about the ghost, Ethel Allen.

There are many other intriguing choices on the varied menu, appetizers, soups, salad, steaks, chicken, Southwestern dishes, seafood entrees and baskets as well as burgers and sandwiches, although few entrees for vegetarians. On different days of the week, there are specials. Friday, 11 am - 9 pm is Fried Haddock Fry, $9.99. Wednesday, 4 pm - 10 pm is Steak Dinner, $10.99. On Thursday, Wings are 45¢ each at the bar. The restaurant serves breakfast on Saturday and Sunday until 2 pm. Or, come watch the big game on one of two TVs as the locals do. If you enjoy sitting outdoors, there is a deck with live music performances. Come for Karaoke there on Friday nights.

The building was built around 1932. It opened in 1933 as Jack’s Tavern, an upscale bar where the patron wore their best finery. Before that, there is speculation that a Train Depot Station stood at this location. It burned down to its slab. The prime location on a main road by railroad tracks helped the building survive over so many years as an active business under different ownerships and colorful names such as, Cooney's Tavern, The Mad Duchess, The Loose Caboose, Sparrow Hawk, and Gentleman Jim's. You can feel the vibrations when a train passes by. In 1985, it became Ashley’s.

There are many stories about various ghosts who still haunt here. I have to admit that I did not see anything paranormal on this my first visit but I did stay out of the ladies room. This is the place where many supernatural incidents have taken place over the years. However, there are numerous reports of strange things happening throughout the building; flying dishes, floating objects, lights and TV turning on or off, doors opening and closing, whispered voices, buzzing sounds, apparitions, etc. There are many dark corners to attract ghostly entities. The main ghost Ethel ALLEN was a 19-year old girl who frequented Jack’s Tavern. She lived a fast life hanging out with a rough crowd. She was last seen in Jack’s Tavern before her grisly murder, ruled a crime of passion. Later her remains washed up on the shores of the Indian River. Her grave site is in an old cemetery almost directly across the Indian River from the eatery. Jack ALLEN was the proprietor at the time of her death. I do not know if Ethel and Jack were related. Two other ghosts also haunt the place. Books, investigations, interviews, audio tapes newspaper articles, photographs and a short documentary have covered the ghostly history- even a YouTube. Using sophisticated equipment or simple Ouiji boards, investigators have found some evidence that indeed something strange is going on here. Although I am not a believer in ghosts or spirits, too many reports leave me wondering. Do be careful in the Ladies Room. One never knows for sure. Remember that I warned you.

6  Thank glomarrone
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I don't know much about the "ghost thing" that is supposed to be here but I will tell you about the food! This is our second visit and I must say that both times we had very, very good dinners. We were in a bit of a hurry and the staff was extremely accommodating. Our waitress, Ashley, was very attentive and prompt with our ordering and food delivery. We will go back for the Salmon alone as it was so good. Often, when you get Salmon it is dry. Not so at Ashley's. Piping hot and moist with a delicious bourbon sauce like in your "finer" restaurants. Generous portions so you get what you pay for. The french fries actually burned your tongue they were so fresh! Veggies were average but the Prime Rib Sandwich with French Dip was excellent. Well prepared and full of meat! Atmosphere is very rustic and comfortable. We left very full and extremely happy that we had chosen this restaurant for dinner instead of another local one that charges twice the price and delivers so so food. This is a must try even if you go for just the salmon! I think we'll try the fish and chips when we go again and we will definitely be going back! Kudos!

2  Thank TheRhodeIslanders