“Good Beach Bar”

Johnny Longboats
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Don't typically eat at bars, much less beach bars but this one was pretty good. Service was just okay, yet the food was better than average --- that is, if you choose seafood. As for the rib-eye steaks, go someplace like a steak house for that one. The steak here was not good at all...ended up sending it back.

1  Thank gagoldgirl
There are newer reviews for Johnny Longboats

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We are normally not fans of bar food, but were surprised to find that the quality of the food here is pretty good. We were there for a late lunch and chose this place because it was close to our hotel (we hadn't checked in yet) and we'd had a grueling problem plagued flight with no food since breakfast at 6:00am. My wife ordered a burger and fries and I had the fish and chips.

Our server was unremarkable. I mean that to be a compliment. Every time I remember the server there's at least a 50% shot that it's because they were terrible. I assess that I'm getting quality service when the experience is neutral; that is, I have everything I want when I want it. Neutral is unremarkable.

My wife thoroughly enjoyed a burger so big she had to cut it in half to pick it up. All through lunch she was cooing over how good it was. At some point I said; "It's a burger, you're acting like you have a porterhouse steak in front of you." She handed me the other half of the burger and said to take a bite. I must admit that this was one of the best burgers I've ever tasted. At $11.00 it was very pricey, but it was also very good.

I'm a New England expatriate and do so miss my favorite New England foods. So I can't resist the opportunity to order something like fish and chips when I see it on the menu. This, unfortunately has introduced me to some awful versions of a fairly straight forward fried fish dish. So I was pleasantly surprised to find a pretty credible version here. The fish was Cod as it should be, it was crispy, cooked perfectly, and delicious. Another plus is when I asked for malt vinegar, they had it. Again, price was an issue, and again, it was pretty good food.

As I said at the outset, bar food is not our usual choice, we don't drink, nor is the ambiance in such places all that attractive to us, so these things might be coloring the grade I assigned. The place seemed a bit dingy, and I'm willing to understand that a big crowd hootin' and hollerin' with sports on the TV and lots of booze flowing would change the fabric of the ambiance. Overall, in spite of the prices seeming to be needlessly high (lunch for two was $45 before the tip and burgers and fish and chips are not labor intensive or unique), it was a good experience.

1  Thank Bob F
Reviewed October 29, 2013

After a long wait for a table we ended up with a waitress who was clueless to the menus items, never around for refills, not a good experience

1  Thank electro66
Reviewed October 29, 2013

An average South FL beach bar. Stopped in with some friends for lunch and drinks. Salads and sandwiches were fine - nothing special. Very disappointed with the drinks - overpriced and undersized. Can't knock the attentive service or the location - very nice.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Visited this beach bar with my wife and ate at the bar during happy hour. The pricing was reasonable, the food was good, and the bar service was excellent. There is really no view to the ocean, even though the location is directly across from the water, but the atmosphere was fun and friendly. A good place to keep in mind for a beer and even a sit down dinner while watching a football game.