“All views are not created equal”

Marriott's Oceana Palms
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Riviera Beach
Detroit, MI
“All views are not created equal”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I had very high expectations when I booked this property and that was probably my problem…We are seasoned Marriott Rewards customers and have stayed at almost all of the Marriott Resort properties in the Caribbean and in Florida. I was told by the Marriott, when I booked this property, that all of the rooms had beautiful ocean views. In the promotional photos it appears that this property sits by itself on the beach, unobstructed by other high rises. This is not so. The promotional photo (or rendering) of the two towers is photo-shopped to take out the other nearby view obstructing buildings. (is this even legal?) We were placed in the second tower which is directly behind the beachfront tower and worse yet, we stayed in the back of the building. We were so disappointed when we opened up the curtains on our sliding glass doors to take in our “view.” (See my attached photo) what you will see is that there is no view of the ocean but rather a view straight into the windows of a high rise building. You could only see the ocean from inside our room if you sat on the far corner of the couch and looked out the side window. Once you got out onto the balcony, yes, you could see the ocean. Problem was, the whole week we were there, there were 18 mile an hour winds and it was only 53 degrees in the morning and the evening. (So much for enjoying a cup of coffee or a cocktail on the balcony.) Upon check in, I did ask to be moved and was told by the manager that the place was full—“sorry this is the room you booked,” she said. Another tip… the north side of the building does not get any sun. So if you plan to sit outside and feel the warmth of the sun, make sure you are placed on the south side of the building (this would be true for both towers). In customer relations, what typically happens to people, if they have a sour experience at the beginning, they may begin to find fault with everything else so here I go….. On the surface, this place is new and crisp and nicely decorated. But take a deep look and it screams CHEAP! I would think that most people who can afford to stay at this hotel do not appoint their own homes with “faux” finishes. For example, there is fake travertine tile running throughout the resort. The laminate wood flooring is everywhere and really bugged me. The dark wood panels on the lobby walls and elevator are plastic. Plastic topiary trees and really tacky silk iris flower arrangements adorn the pool area. Walk down to the Singer Island Marriott Resort and take a look at how a real luxury hotel is appointed with marble, rich wood and real flowers. It’s understatedly elegant. Oceana Palms, not so much. The pool area is tight and is completely covered by shade at 2:30pm so if you book this hotel, plan to lounge at the beach, (which BTW is nice and run by an outside company). I have never given a Marriott property a poor review, but the photo-shopped promotional photos have really deceived and disappointed me. Sorry.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank rosie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Dahlonega, Georgia
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stayed here for the second time. This is a very nice 2 bedroom condo on the beach. There are great views of the ocean. The rooms are comfortable. There is on site bar/ restaurant , exercise room, kids programs and beach chairs. Although the weather was bad we still had fun. A family of four was comfortable in this unit. The staff is very nice. There is covered parking. You can rent umbrellas on beach. The pools are nice and there is a kid pool too. This is not far from the airport. I would comeback in a heartbeat.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ms.go-go
Harrisburg, PA
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed in a 2 BR unit on the south side of 18th floor of the new building (#2184) from 6/1-6/8. It rained almost the entire week, but we still were impressed with the resort.

Unit: Brand New. The unit is clean and comes with all of the modern amenities. The master BR shower has 4 heads and a ledge. It's as big as some Manhattan studio apts.

Location: There is a relatively quiet beach located on the property. The water is warm and fairly calm. There is little to do, however, within walking distance. We liked the privacy. More party-oriented people might find this place a little boring.

Grounds: The grounds were very clean. There are about 8 gas grills, a fire pit, a synthetic turf play area with adult and kids games, and a small, but nicely appointed pool area.

Parking: Complimentary and located in the building that you are staying.

Service/Staff: The staff at this location is the best that I've ever experienced at a MVC property. They went out of their way to accommodate every request and followed-through that it had been met. The young lady who checked us in continued to greet us by name throughout the week. We were very impressed with their attention to detail.

Drawbacks: While minor, there are still a couple of issues to work out with this property. First, the pool bar is illegally streaming Pandora to the pool bar. On our day of arrival, a song with inappropriate language starting playing. The bar manager then swiftly changed the music to country music for the rest of the week. Country music is a very specific niche that many people are not fond of and shouldn't be blared in a non-themed resort. It kept us away for the rest of the week. More importantly, after telling the bar manager about our first hand experience of the legal penalties of playing personal music in a commercial establishment, the situation was not rectified.

Finally, the biggest issue with this place is the ASTRONOMICAL prices in their "Marketplace". A snack size Wheat Thins costs $6. I'm clearly willing to higher prices in exchange for convenience while on vacation, but I don't expect to have to shop at the airport or bring peanuts from Yankee Stadium in order to save money. I would've gladly shopped there multiple times during the week and pay a reasonable premium price for snacks/bread/milk/etc, but when you want to charge $6 for a snack size Wheat Thins and $5 for a can of beer, you leave a sour taste in my mouth and force me to get into my car and drive to a gas station or Publix. Lower the price slightly to kill the sticker shock. You'll sell more and end up with more profit and a happier clientele.

Beyond those two very minor issues, everything else was really perfect. The staff are truly to be commended for taking pride in their workplace. It really shows.

Room Tip: We loved the view from the South side of the building.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank willisdavis
Kissimmee, Florida
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We just returned from a wonderful weekend at Oceana Palms. Large suites, great master bath room shower, awsome staff, free beach chairs. I loved the ocean view from our terrace. One of Marriott's best Vacation Club properties.

Room Tip: Sunrise tower is closer to the beach.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank SteveS1
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I love this place!! The view is beautiful, the resort has everything that you could need. The staff is amazing, especially Caleb! He was so incredibly helpful that it was hard to believe that he is not a concierge. All I can say is that Caleb is the man..! If you can try to get into the same building as the front desk. You will have a way better view!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andigirlusa
Wichita
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We just returned from Oceana Palms after spending a week over the Memorial holiday. The staff is incredibly nice and outgoing. The Kidzone was fantastic. My kids loved going down for the activities and the ice cream (a little pricey as we bought the turtle bowls which were $15 and could be used once a day for the ice cream sundaes). They had several movies they showed during the week and my kids loved going to them. The resort is not quite as spread out as some of the Marriott resorts but the green space and playground were great for my 9, 7 and 2 year old children.

The pool was also good. Though it was quite windy while we were there, my children wanted to swim every day. The pool was not busy and it was easy to find chairs. For a two year old, the pool was perfect with the little slide and water spray area.

The beach was great though the water was quite rough for most of our stay but can't control that! I like that they provided complimentary beach chairs. Did not want to pay for the rentals as they weren't that much better. We just bought a cheap umbrella from the Wings store down the street and used it with the complimentary chairs. There was plenty of space on the beach. And for the first day or two the water was perfect. Great beach for kids as the slope is gradual and there were no bad drop-offs. The water was very clear on the calm days. For the windy days, we stayed out of the water but it did provide great opportunities to find sea shells.

The rooms were very nice. We stayed in the new building and everything was very well taken care of. The beds were very comfortable and the villas very spacious. We cooked in our rooms almost every evening and used the grills a couple of times. So went shopping at the Publix down the street and saved money on eating out. We did have the concierge book us a table at Spoto's down PGA Blvd to celebrate my birthday. Enjoyed the birthday dinner (a little expensive for our group of 8 but they treated us very well)!!

Overall, loved the resort!! The staff made it a very memorable vacation even with the not so great beach weather.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank wichitajayhawkfan
SCOTTSDALE
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a weeks stay at the Marriott's Oceana Palms. FANTASTIC check in service. Our room was ready at 11:00 a.m. The resort is fairly new and our place smelled new. The fitness room was huge and top knotch equipment. If you have kids, lots of activities for them. BBQ facilities were great. I really can't say anything bad.. the place is gorgeous. Staff was amazing. Great place.

Room Tip: Hightest floor you can get. All of the rooms have ocean views.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tee0426
Also consider these accommodations in or near Riviera Beach
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
#1 of 4 in Palm Beach Shores
Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vacation Villas
Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vac...
#2 of 4 in Palm Beach Shores
Hilton West Palm Beach
#3 of 34 in West Palm Beach
Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island Beach Resort & Spa
Hilton Singer Island Oceanfront/Palm Beaches Resort

Been to Marriott's Oceana Palms? Share your experiences!