“sushi worth a detour”

Sakura Restaraunt Fl
Ranked #82 of 138 Restaurants in Riverview
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Biased Northeasterner that I am, I would not have expected to find excellent sushi in this part of FL. I am justly punished for my regional hubris. Sakura's sushi is far superior to anything available in the Washington, DC area (aside from Makoto, which is spectacular, but with prices to match). The yellowtail was simply delicious, as were other local fish (like red snapper). The menu does not list one of my favorite Japanese dishes, yellowtail jaw, but when I asked for it, they prepared it for me. Nearly as good as the version at Makoto (and 1/3rd the price - no, that is not a typo). Sakura deserves 4.5 stars, with a minor deduction for failing to list several of its best dishes on the menu. The little side elements could have been a bit better, too, but the fish is the thing. If you are in the Tampa area, make the detour to Sakura if you are in the mood for sushi.

2  Thank bayarddc

Reviewed December 6, 2013

favorite of our dinner group 'teppanyaki' at the hibachi stations. Not only are you entertained by the chef's while your food is being prepared but at the end of the cooking ritual you are treated to a taste sensation dinner that your taste buds will jump for joy.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Just visiting my sister and found this place close by. Really clean and fresh, food was great. Reasonable priced and pretty standard. Our cook was pretty good and really enjoyed his work. We had same problem as another reviewer that we really did not like food thrown at you or sake squirted in your mouth (or on your shirt). You really need to say no ;-)
Next time we'll try the sushi!

1  Thank calipr
Reviewed August 12, 2013

a friend had suggested Sakura to me and my husband. she claimed the food was amazing and the yummy yummy sauce was better then our local favorite hibachi place.
we went for dinner on a Saturday and sat in the sushi dining room. We were seated right away but we waited for a while til someone took our drink order.finally someone same over- i ordered a sweet tea- first she brought water then she brought out unsweetened tea. we then waited a long time for our waitress to take our dinner order. she was very short with us and proceeded to have another conversation with another employee in a different language in the middle of our order. she walked away with out saying anything, good thing we finished our order before we were rudely interrupted.
we watched some of the sushi go by to other tables as we waited- not impressed.
we ordered the tuna tataki for an app which was decent but not worth the price for the amount of tuna. we ordered the hibachi dinner for two which was a good deal- steak,shimp, scallops and lobster plus all the extra rice and noodles and veggies soup and salad for 45$
the salad was over dressed and was very sweet. the soup tasted like sewage water- i didn't even finish mine it was so bad. then the main coarse came out. it was a decent amount of food. they left the dirty looking small lobster tail cut in half with no meat in it on top of the plate for garnish? i later found lobster shell particles in my food- i thought i broke a tooth when i bit it. the lobster was over cooked. the chicken was tiny, hard, over cooked pieces. the over all meal tasted more like Chinese take out then Japanese hibachi. there were a few things that tasted okay but over all it was not good, not worth the price and we wont go back based solely on the food quality. not to mention the waitress and her lack of people skills.
And to top it off the yummy yummy sauce was soo sweet it wasn't enjoyable. ew.

we will stick with our local favorite that knows how to make great food.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I have been here a few times since it has opened. We enjoy sitting at the sushi bar. The workers are all so friendly and the atmosphere is so laid back that you really don't want to leave. The prices aren't bad either.