“do not do take out” 2 of 5 bubbles

Mi Casa Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 131 Restaurants in Riverview
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Tampa, Florida
“do not do take out”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

The food is good, but their customer service is lacking. Just picked up my 2nd to go dinner that was screwed up. This time rice and taco but no beans. Dry dry dinner. And they offer to give you beans, but tomorrow. What good are they tomorrow? The girl said they couldn't do anything else cause "that's all tgat was missing". I work in customer service. You make the customer happy especially in these times we live in. I know this is one customer that won't be going back.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Booo55

Atlanta, GA
“Choose carefully and you'll be happy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was visiting my parents over Labor Day weekend and we ate at Mi Casa on Saturday night. It was my first visit, although my folks have been several times. We were all pleased.

The interior is cute, with multicolored tables and chairs. The tables are too close together, however. It’s very difficult to pull out your chair if someone at the next table is already sitting down. They need to sacrifice a table or two to make the dining room more comfortable. The hostess seemed to be having trouble figuring out where to seat us – in fact, she first tried to put us at a table right next to the wait stand and we said “no”. I watched her try to sit 2 additional parties there before some poor family of 5 was stuck there.

Service was extremely friendly and prompt. Our waiter brought a basket of chips and a dish of salsa and asked if we wanted more salsa right off the bat. I said “yes, two more please”, so we each had our own dish. The salsa was very good, with lots of cilantro, and just enough ‘zip’ so you knew you weren’t eating plain tomatoes. It was happy hour, so Mom and I split the “two for $7.50 margaritas” and Dad got two Dos Equis drafts. I’m not a fan of margaritas served in a mug, but they were icy cold, and very good.

Mom started with a cup of the chicken tortilla soup. The presentation was very nice – they brought her bowl of soup, and a separate small plate with a ramekin of shredded cheese and tri-colored tortilla strips. She said the soup was very good. Her entrée, however, was disappointing. She had the chile relleno with hamburger. Rather than “lightly fried”, the chile was heavily breaded and soggy, with the hamburger dumped on top. I was not impressed. Dad had the chimichanga with the ground beef, and was very happy. I ordered the chicken enchiladas verdes, which were three corn tortillas stuffed with chicken in a wonderful green tomatillo salsa, with some sour cream. Rice and beans were on the side.

In addition to the dining room, there is a bar area to the left of the door, and an outdoor patio to the left of that. I’m not a fan of eating outside overlooking a parking lot – but I imagine when the weather is (a lot!) cooler, it would be pleasant.
Our waiter checked on us several times, but was not intrusive at all. The bill was presented promptly, but we never felt rushed. I will definitely return, the next time I’m in the South Shore area.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Catwoman62
Apollo Beach, Florida
“Just So-So”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

So yesterday was the 3rd time my husband and I had been to Mi Casa. This was our last time...the 3 strikes and you're out kinda thing. The first time we went right after they opened...

The first visit - we gave them the benefit of the doubt, just opening, new staff, new cooks; that sort of thing. The service was just okay and they got my husband's order wrong (there is a difference between chicken and shredded beef).

The second visit - we thought the food taste was good, nothing to rave about but we were in the mood for Mexican, so we would give them another chance. Again, the service was just okay....again, my husband ordered shredded beef received...(wait for it)...chicken.

The third visit (08/03/2013) - I talked him into going back for a possible final time. This time we had one of the servers who has been there each time we had visited, but had never had him. We asked to please get the order correct this time; which they did....we both ordered shredded beef and it came out correctly. Service was great until it came time to pay. Once the check was brought out it was as if we didn't exist any longer. I had to ask multiple times for a to-go box. They were not that busy maybe 3 other tables occupied outside.

This restaurant could be something more than a 3 out of 5 stars in the Riverview area. A little pricey for the quality of the food and the lack of service all-around.

Service - just so-so at best
Quality - maybe 3.5 out of 5 on its best day
Quantity - the portions are large but food is not piping hot
Atmosphere - I always sit outside and enjoy that more than the inside

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Marladawn
Apollo Beach
“Very good Mexican restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed the atmosphere . The food is really good. The wait staff are personable. We were very satisfied .

• Visited July 2013
Bradenton Beach, Florida
“Blech”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Not good. This could be the most bland Mexian food we ever ate. I don't think the chef even used salt or pepper. Boring. Service is fast-food joint quality and frankly the prices were high for the quality of the food. Blech. It was cute inside, but that's about it. Don't bother.

• Visited August 2013