“Good, not great”

Acropolis Greek Taverna
Ranked #6 of 134 Restaurants in Riverview
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Acropolis provides a delicious menu of Greek and Mediterranean inspired meals. Fresh food and healthy preparations. Excellent happy hour and great drink selections including unique Greek beers and wines. Weekend at Acropolis host live entertainment including Bouzouki player and belly dancer.
Boston
“Good, not great”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

I had pretty high expectations based on the reviews, so I will say up front I'm going to go again and give it another chance, but it wasn't a terrific first impression. The waitress didn't really know the menu when I asked "what is popular" there really was not clear answer. Also, we were told a dish had eggplant in it when the description had no mention of eggplant...left me wondering if that was actually the case or not. I decided to go with the greek meatballs, which was recommended, and they were terribly overcooked and dry. I also thought the greek fries were way over salted..although my wife's fries were not, so perhaps just the case of a heavy hand on my plate. The greek salads on the side, were very good as was the homemade dressing, and my wife had the gyro platter and rated it a B-. The portions were fine, and I did like the lamb strips on the platter (although again overly salty), along with a very nice tadziki sauce. The tables for four were a little small and overall the inside had the feeling of being a bit cold and also I could tell it must get very loud when busy. For dessert, I took home a piece of baklava which had great taste, but the portion was tiny. I still consider myself on the hunt for "great" Greek food in the area.

• Visited July 2014

Wimauma, Florida
“A really great Greek Restaurant”
Reviewed June 20, 2014

We were there yesterday it was great. I have had greek food many times before and I regularly go to a fast food greek place about once a week. This was the best of any I have ben to including tarpon springs. The shish kabob was the best I have ever had it must have been the spices they used the orzo was also excellent. My wife's salmon was cooked and seasoned very well. The grill ed vegetable were right up there with the best. Did not have room for desert maybe next time.
They also had a little bit of interesting entertainment

• Visited June 2014
Orlando, Florida
“Opa'”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I was visiting friends in nearby, Apollo Beach. Decided to have Greek for dinner. I had the very large portion of Moussaka. Ordered extra Feta to soak up any goodness of sauce left over, which wasn't much because I cleaned the plate. The kalamari was very good too. I usually ask for "rings" only with it, but the little tentacles were just as tasty and crunchy. Great place for dinner if you're feeling a little Greek. I'm glad there was no dancing going on when I was there. I've been to Greece many times and they don't have dancing in their Tavernas except when the locals decided to dance and that makes it special. I've never seen a belly dancer in any Greek restaurants.

• Visited June 2014
Venice, Florida
“A nice find ”
Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were traveling to Tampa and wanted a restaurant that was different. The octopus is so delicious! Good portion too. I had the Greek soup and it was so amazing! Had a very lemon and herb taste with some rice. The portion wasn't that big but it was good since we had a appetizer and they serve you bread with a creamy dip. My husband had the first thing on the entree menu. It was like a eggplant Lasagna and it was a huge portion. Highly recommend this restaurant!

England, United Kingdom
“Decent food, can improve”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

I enjoy visiting Acropolis. I think that one can still visit with one's family and enjoy an OK priced fresh meal in a nice location. I gave it three stars out of five because although the food is fresh, it is really the ambiance that one pays for, whereas the food is good but a little overpriced. Also, while most of the staff is friendly, there are some people that need to work in the backroom or be better trained to interact with their customers. They are just either downright rude, short or indifferent. Nevertheless, the staff that is great, is awesome: friendly, attentive and patient with one's questions and requests, which leads me to my last thought regarding the outside area. The restaurant needs to have a side for non smokers and one for smokers so indifferent staff don't sit you anywhere because they just don't care. On a good day, nice staff members go out of their way to sit you in a spot that is away from smokers and very likely will remain that way until you leave. On a bad day, a rude employee just barks at you that every space is meant for smokers and one just has to deal. I can honestly say that were it not for the nice staff, these other people would have been the reasons why my family and I would have stopped going to Acropolis. It's not even the no, but their demeanor. I think that if Acropolis takes my suggestions into consideration, the restaurant can become even better and build further on visitors who are there for the experience.

• Visited May 2014