“Definitely a repeat for us!”

Acropolis Greek Taverna
Ranked #7 of 134 Restaurants in Riverview
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Acropolis provides a delicious menu of Greek and Mediterranean inspired meals. Fresh food and healthy preparations. Excellent happy hour and great drink selections including unique Greek beers and wines. Weekend at Acropolis host live entertainment including Bouzouki player and belly dancer.
Tampa, Florida
“Definitely a repeat for us!”
Reviewed December 21, 2011

We have been wanting to come here for a while after reading reviews and having friends talk about the Opa dance, napkins flying and dishes breaking. We did a late lunch and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The interior design is nice, open and looks great. They have an outside seating area that is nice and shaded, but in the afternoons the sun is focused on the area and I suspect can be hot in the summer. The inside seating area has a nice area to the left for a more romantic setting to eat; the right side is more open. Even with the openness the tables are separated enough to have a personal conversation and not feel like the next table is on top of you.

We kept it simple for lunch, I got Souvlaki and a Greek beer, my wife got the chicken gyro and an iced tea. It was not crowded, but the food came out quickly. Large portions, fresh ingredients. The wait staff was prompt and not over bearing and not on top of us every second.

The cost was $25 including two imported beers.

Definitely a repeat for us!!

• Visited December 2011

Lithia, Florida
“Absolutely a great value, good food, large portions!”
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Fabulous place to enjoy a nice lunch/Dinner. Clean environment, good food...large portions and very good prices. What a steal! I paid $26.00 for 2 lunch's, an appetizer, free bread and 2 cokes.

Visited December 2011
Beaufort, Slo Country
“Are we at a Greek Wedding?”
Reviewed December 10, 2011

Four of us are out for dinner at this small chain in the Tampa-St Pete area. To spare the suspense, this is a place to go for fun, not for cuisine. Do not come if you don’t want to be entertained or you like peace and quiet. Noisy birthday parties could be in process right next to you. Not to mention the continual loud music. I’ve never been to Greece, so I don’t know if this is what “real” tavernas are like.

The large room has about 80 seats plus a large bar. The floor is concrete and there are no tablecloths. It’s decorated in a sort of Greek motif or, maybe, it’s Etruscan. The high ceiling has sound baffling which almost works.

Tonight is two for one drink night (perhaps that explains the noise level). Someone has a double lemon drop. The wine list consists entirely of Greek wines. I try the Cambas chardonnay which is normally $11 a glass. It’s palatable. One of us chooses a more cost effective Cyprus white ($8). It’s awful. I would have sent it back immediately and asked to be resuscitated.

We’re sitting pretty close to the live music guy. He’s actually doing a very good job on his synthesizer and bouzouki. And then before we know it most of the waiters are dancing and clapping and snaking in a line around the restaurant. Throwing napkins in the air and, yes, smashing plates. Shouting “Opa!” According to the Urban Dictionary, opa is “a word that Greek people use for no apparent reason at all”.

Surely, it must be time to consider the menu. Well, it’s safely encased in plastic and has pictures! There are about twenty appetizers ($5-12) and twenty main courses ($11-19). Pretty cost effective. Some of the dishes sound Greek or at least Greek-American. Others like Buffalo Chicken and Buffalo Chicken Salad (I kid you not) must be there for die-hard Olympic fans.

We decide to have charbroiled octopus marinated in olive oil ($7 and the waiter has to check to see if they have any….dude, it’s a plastic menu and you get this stuff from US Foods) and while it’s a little chewy, it’s tasty. Shrimp scampi ($8 and a Greek-Italian dish) is also flavorful. About six shrimp and lots of sauce that gets absorbed by the provided garlic bread. Customary pasta or rice is not provided; I’m learning lots about Greek cuisine. And my sister decides to have stuffed mushrooms ($8), another Greek delicacy. They’re stuffed with cream cheese, garlic and assorted herbs, coated with breadcrumbs and deep fried. Three of us loved them. Thoughts of bar food came to my mind.

Just when things have calmed down a belly dancer makes an appearance. And is quite happy to dance at every table. She’s pretty good and I am pleased to (discreetly) put paper money (not Greek) in her skirt. And in front of my wife. Creeps me out. But, everybody smiles. I’m harmless.

Our main courses arrive. A dish of marinated quail ($16) is shared and we get two quail. They’re grilled and served with orzo and wintery vegetables. Pretty tasty. My sister gets a small Greek salad. She must be saving herself for dessert. My brother-in-law gets a gyro platter which includes lamb. In middle- america it’s difficult to get lamb. Beef is the preferred substitute. Seems tasty. And he also gets Greek French fries. You just can’t make this up.

I think we had a baklava for dessert. It might have been German-Greek baklava, I’m not sure. My mind is spinning from all this partying.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank joeyeatsout
Tampa
“Beats driving to Tarpon Springs...”
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Anyone who enjoys Greek cuisine knows Tarpon Springs is the place to find all things Greek. There is an occasional festival in Tampa off of Armenia, but barely worth it.
Having said that, Acropolis is a nice family oriented or dating type of restaurant. The food meets the standard and exceeds expectations in most areas. The service is just as nice as the atmosphere, and the live music is exceptional. I would sit away from the band if your ears are sensitive because for me it was slightly loud, but by no means annoying. You will not be deaf after an hour or two, but just something to be aware of. After several trips, I have not had a bad experience at Acropolis and continue to eat there since I am in the neighborhood. Plan to wait outside if you go after 6pm, this could be crucial if it is mid summer. Hot! You can always walk to the Green Iguana in the same shopping center to grab a cocktail if there is a long wait. You will enjoy Acropolis.

• Visited July 2011
Florida
“Great fresh Greek food”
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Firstly we have only been here for lunch, so cannot review for dinner. However, we love this place, food is always fresh and they serve quite a lot of food for the amount you pay. You can either sit inside or outside, although we have always sat inside in the cool. The Appetizer Platter is to die for and they are happy to change out any dips that don't appeal to you, only wish they'd serve more bread when they bring it out because we go through it like crazy. The Dolmades are delicious and everything else we've gotten there has been top notch. All in all a great place to eat.

• Visited August 2011