“A trip back in time”
Review of Budget Inn

Budget Inn
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Punta Gorda
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I needed a basic motel for an extended stay last month. Even though this hotel hadn't been reviewed in over a year and the reviews were at best mediocre, I decided to give it a try.

On driving up I got the sense of a 1970's or 80's motel (old fashioned two level motel with external walkways and room access). Externally, it appeared clean and in good state of repair. Location is close to the center of town and close to restaurants and amenities.

Concur with a previous reviewer's comments on the clerk. He was simply scary (Norman Bates)! Had to pay in advance which was an inconvenience as I didn't know precisely how long I would be staying. Trying to talk to the clerk was like talking to a wall. Half the time I couldn't understand what he was saying.

Room was basically clean but dated and worn out but it did have a refrig and microwave. TV only offered local channels. They advertise free WIFI internet but it barely worked. Bathtub shower combo had undergone extensive "handyman" repairs and could only be used for showers, however the water was hot and plentiful. All-in-all, probably worth the $50 dollars a night I paid. Room was very quiet (could be due to very few guests). I have also stayed at the Punta Gorda Waterfront and Wyvern Hotel. I will be back in Punta Gorda in a couple months and would pick the Budget Inn over the Waterfront.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank jonestr1

Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stayed here over the weekend for Saturday night. My daughter was play in a tournament in port Charlotte and had a hard time finding a place with availabilty. The motel was fair, the previous reviews about the desk clerk is correct. He was the strangest unfriendly clerk every. The room was straight out of the eighties but it had a be and shower so we were happy. Given a choice I would not stay here again, but if no other option is available this place will do.

• Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank Sutiegirl
Reviewed March 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed here Friday March 2, 2012. The clerk was kinda cranky at best. Once in the room things looked ok but the tv was fuzzy and the volume control was out of wack. Maybe new tv's would help. Once in the shower the noise from the water coming out was horrible. No trashcan in the room and then when I called the office to ask the clerk for a password for internet service he gave me a attitude asking me why I didn't ask him for that when I checked in.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2011

Paid $50 for one nights stay, room was unclean, corners covered in dust not seen a vacuum in weeks, bed uncomfortable metal frame round bed, which was rusty, fridge door front all rusted, toilet was stained, didn t take shower too dirty. Plus side a few restaurants across the road.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Just looking for a cheap hotel for a night or two...just to get away from the house and family...super reasonable on price...3 restaraunts across the street and minutes from downtown...we had the pool all to ourselves for the weekend..clean pool..nice landscaping...small bbq grill which we shall try out next time..the rooms were a bit old but hey...for the price at least they were clean...definately plan on staying here again...

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2010

Just recently stayed at this place again, and the owners have made renovations with the rooms. The service was great (they helped me find some restaurants), and the location is great with amazing scenary. Was a amazing stay for just $50, the other hotels were charging $65 and above for just me.‎

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Revuwa-
Reviewed October 17, 2006

Did not plan on staying here but in town for a emergency trip to see a sick relative. Was told that it was ok and priced well. We were over priced compared to 4 rooms rented by another family memeber who stayed the same time frame/same room. It smelled. They tried but for 94.50 $, a little nicer would have been appreciated. cracked and colored in 2 corners on ceiling. Had a few roaches(YUK!). If it was priced at 69$ as it was not to long ago, I would expect this for the money. But for just a few bucks cheaper than a bigger hotel, I dont think so. We have to come back in the future. I am taking the time now to really look for a hotel. My family will not stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
Four Points By Sheraton Punta Gorda Harborside
The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda
The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda
#2 of 8 in Punta Gorda

Been to Budget Inn? Share your experiences!