“Great location, but building needs updating”

PG Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Punta Gorda
Athens, Tennessee
“Great location, but building needs updating”
Reviewed February 3, 2011

Stayed here for two nights on a business trip. My room was clean and the restaurant attached to the hotel had great food and good service. However, the hotel is in serious need of updating. The rooms were tired looking and well worn. The staff was friendly and respectful. It was ok for myself as a business trip and just a place to lay my head, but I would not bring my family here for a vacation.

Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Bristol, England
Reviewed December 18, 2010

Pleasant waterside location with good parking and next to the historic district and Gilcrest Park (watch for mozzies). A tired building in need of modernisation. The room patio windows are 1960's and laughably secure. All corridor doors leading to the outside could be pushed open (although they should have needed the room key. Our first room contained a sink which had 'backed up' with other guests' soapy water and dirty particles but we were moved without hesitation. No similar problem in the second room. The beds have soft matresses but we still had a comfortable night. Switch off the fridge for a quiet night. A nice touch was the free hot buffet and free wine in reception between 5.30pm and 6.30pm on a Tuesday and Thursday (we were there on a Tuesday). Benedetto Restaurant and Martini bar next door was excellent with good food at a reasonable price (eg 2 wines, 2 beers and 2 main course meals for $33) and 2 drinks for the price of 1. Sadly my final impression was the 15 minutes it took to check out as the one receptionist was only able to deal with another guest's bill problem.

Fareham
Reviewed November 24, 2010

We were booked here for 2 nights in November and moved on after just one night. Hotel is in a great location overlooking the water and easy walking distance to Fisherman's Village BUT needs serious cleaning if not complete renovation. Corridors smell musty and our room had no shower curtain, crumbs around the bed, the carpet was dirty as We were bitten by something during the night and when we explained this and the general standards as our reason for moving on there was no surprise from Staff at the Front Desk.
The inclusive breakfast was ok but the sitting space was limited. This Hotel's biggest assets are its location, and Jeremy on the Front Desk who was really helpful in trying to resolve our problems. Please choose somewhere else until this place is renovated.

1 Thank WinnieFareham
granbury, tx
Reviewed November 13, 2010

Traveled to Punta Gorda to attend a wedding and this hotel gave some really good rates for the wedding party. In the first room we were given, the curtain rod was sitting on the table in pieces. We asked that it be repaired or that we be moved to another room. We were moved to the room next door. In this room, the bathroom sink did not drain, but maintenance came and this problem was taken care of quickly. Early the next morning we noticed that the toilet seemed to be stopped up. Again maintenance came quickly and tried to correct the problem. Later in the day, we noticed that it was still stopped up. Maintenance came again and determined that the problem could not be easily corrected and we were moved again. The third room was missing furniture, and towels. I asked to speak to a manager, but she was not available. When the manager returned we were given keys to a couple of different rooms to look at. The first room was in good condition, but the ice machine on the floor was out of order. The second room also appeared to be in good shape but was much smaller. We opted for the larger room with the broken ice machine. The manager did give us a voucher for the adjoining restaurant to try to compensate for the inconvenience, but at this point the damage is done. It is most unlikely that we will ever stay at this hotel again!

1 Thank nanski3
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed November 9, 2010

The Hotel was OK. When I checked out, the lady at the frontdesk told me that the printer is damaged and that she will send me the receipt via mail.
I am still waiting.
I also contacted "Best Western" headquarter. Nothing happend.
So I have to pay this hotel on my own!
I also saw a couple drinking beer IN the pool using glass bottles. I informed the front desk - but nothing happened.
Never again!

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank AlJarreau
Vero Beach, FL
Reviewed October 24, 2010

This sad excuse for a Best Western is a rat trap. How anyone could ignore the sagging mattresses, filthy carpets, slimy door knobs and abundant mold, to comment on the location - is simply inexplicable. Yes, this hotel is near water - BIG DEAL. The pool is closed, the rooms smell and the staff is surly. What the heck? This place should have a health warning Free breakfast, but not worth it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nys
Texas
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Jeremy and Joshua were friendly and helpful at the front desk. I had room 419 which is a City View room for $71.99 with my Sam's Club discount. I felt like it was a good deal because the room is a corner room so I could see the Bay and the parking lot. The room was nice. It looked like it was had been newly remodeled. There is a really nice park next to the hotel as well. The only thing that I didn' t like is that I would hear this noise throughout the night that sounded like an air conditioner going but I didn't have it on. The beds could use some variety on the pillows. Normally, hotels give me about 5 more pillows than I need. This bed had about 4 pillows but they were all the big and fluffy ones which bother my neck.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Port Charlotte
La Quinta Inn & Suites Port Charlotte
Sleep Inn & Suites Port Charlotte
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Charlotte

Been to PG Waterfront Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!