“Lovely way to spend an afternoon.”

Reviewed March 29, 2012

Visited the center as it was close to where we were staying. Tour guide was excellent and very informative..

3  Thank famkeankie
in 13 reviews
"florida"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed March 16, 2012

The trails are straight and narrow, going on for miles it seems. There is a trail around the lake that is nice, but I didn't see any wildlife and we could hear gun fire the whole time from the shooting range. I guess it's a good place to go hunting. You can camp there, but I wouldn't want to because I'm not into guns.

1  Thank Mercedes S
Reviewed February 29, 2012

I hesitate to give any wildlife management area a negative review and will not do so with Babcok-Webb. Maybe we just didn't hit it on the right day. The sole reason why we visited was to have an opportunity to see red-cockaded woodpeckers which we did not. From the roads, with binoculars, I believe I saw only a handful of what appeared to be active nest trees as evidenced by the sap even though there were quite a number of ring-marked trees. The property seemed poorly cared for, and we saw only two campers in the camping area. We encountered no more than 3 or 4 other cars within about 5 hours of time. This is a huge complex. Be prepared before you go; obtain literature from their website; you won't find anyone available to talk with. What did we see? Eastern Meadowlarks, 4 sandhill cranes, bluebirds, pine warblers, several gators, red-shouldered hawk, little & great blue herons, egrets -- all few and far between. But, for solitude and to feel like you're all alone in the world, this is an OK place to spend some time. Oh, yeah, by the way. . . The shooting range was heavily attended and seemed to be the main activity on this day. I really tried not to be negative, but for a birding place, I'm not so sure this is it.

2  Thank keigrant
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Only public owned gun range around is located here. Great hunting from deer to turkey to birds.