“Great Fresh Seafood Spot in town”
Review of Tortuga's Seafood Restaurant - CLOSED

Tortuga's Seafood Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 14, 2013

My hubby and I finally had a day off together and decided to go down to Punta Gorda to find this new restaurant. We have been getting our fresh fish at their seafood store in Port Charlotte and really liked the quality.

It was a nice, cool (for Florida) breezy day; so, we ate outside on the veranda. Service was good, server very personable and, most importantly the food was wonderful.

I had the conch chowder, which has lots of veggies and conch, so the cup size was plentiful. For my entree I had the taco salad topped with blackened fish of the day (snapper). Again, made fresh while you wait and tasted awesome! My husband had the fish tacos - his choice was shrimp stuffing. Full, plump shrimp. He loved it also. The bean salsa is also fresh and very good. From what we experienced, I don't think you could go wrong. Listen to your server about what is fresh that day and you have an even better experience!

There is a fresh seafood store attached to the restaurant, so bring a cooler, if you want to take some home! Selection looked great and fresh, as always.

We will definitely go back!

5  Thank audrahos

Reviewed November 13, 2013

We had heard that Harbour Seafood, our favourite fresh seafood store had opened a store in Punta Gorda and had a restaurant beside it. We decided to try it for lunch. It took a little looking to find the restaurant in a strip mall but it was well worth looking for! My wife had a crab and asparagus quiche that was absolutely delicious. Cooked to perfection with a nice flaky crust and lots of pieces of crab. I had a grilled grouper Caesar salad. Fantastic! The dressing on the salad was light and tasty and the grouper was grilled to perfection. If you're looking for fancy and overstated keep on driving but if you want fresh seafood, prepared perfectly, stop in. Even the Buckeye waitress who almost made me drink from her Ohio State cup couldn't spoil this lunch. Tortugas is now on our "must go to regularly" lunch list.

1  Thank Dave S
Reviewed November 12, 2013

This is a small restaurant in a strip mall, with a seafood market attached. We've now been four times, and have had varied experience with the service, but never the food. The food has always been excellent! Compared to the other "deep fry everything out of the freezer" seafood restaurants locally, this is a gem. And the specials really do seem to be special. They change as the owner gets something new in. They are not afraid to offer local catch (e.g., Hogfish) as it is available.

My standard of seafood restaurants is whether the Crab Cakes are more crab than cake. And these do not disappoint. Not perfect (I'd like to see some lump crab meat in them instead of all special grade), but nicely sized, crispy crunchy on the outside, and very minimal filler, served with a very nice remoulade sauce.

Net, this is our "go to" seafood restaurant in the Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte area. The food is equally good as Peace River Seafood, the decor is nicer, and the prices are a bit lower. Go.

1  Thank Chervette
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had a late lunch today. I had the coconut shrimp basket and my wife had the grouper. Both excellent but the French fries were a bit weak. I was impressed with the corn on the cob and coke slaw.

Waitress was prompt and friendly.

Highly recommend the coconut shrimp!

2  Thank Kennebago
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Went there for dinner because we heard the food was excellent. Wife and I walk in and are led to a small table for two right by the entrance to the kitchen. We asked if we could sit at a larger table and the owner told us "no, I'm saving those in case we get a group of 4 people". She says this to us as we're looking at 3 tables - that seat four people - that only have two people sitting at them. So she sits us down at the table by the entrance to the kitchen. I'm ready to get up and walk out, but wife asks the server if we can be re-seated at one of the empty 4-person tables. "Certainly!". We then order our food, where they bring us the wrong food, forgot about our salads, forgot about the wife's side dishes. It wasn't that busy - certainly not like when we're in season down here. After asking for the check - we waited 10 minutes for it and still didn't get it - We walked up to the cash register and asked the woman to ring us out.

The food is delicious, especially the lobster.

If they could get their act together from a service standpoint they'd be on to something.

Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, we'll try it again in the future, but for now they rate 2 Stars.

2  Thank tcpip95