“Villa owners”

Fishermen's Village Resort
Reviewed June 13, 2009

We go to our Villa every year and love the area. If you love the area beaches, this is the place. We are not far from lovers keys,ft myers, sarasota,boca grande etc.. I make plans every year of what I want to see and never have time for it all . This yr I hope to horseback about 40mins away. Boat rental and tours are on site. Also fishing trips. A nice park makes a great evening walk. I also make sure I visit the Swiss candy shop in town and the town Eagle. The villa is large with balcony. We sit outside every morning and night. Downstairs are great shops and restaurants. The grills are next to the pool. Some evenings the motorcycles can be annoying. We are going again in Dec 2009 and can't wait.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank carelomb
There are newer reviews for Fishermen's Village Resort

Reviewed June 17, 2008

I visited this charming little resort for Memorial Day weekend. The amenities were fairly well kept. The service was pleasant and the rooms were clean. Although we only stayed one night, for the size of the room it was fairly inexpensive; about $160. The village is charming, with rooms on top and a variety of small specialty shops on the ground floor.
We ate once at the smugglers’ restaurant, on a table off the waters edge. I had the meat loaf sandwich, which was good for a light meal.
The room was clean, very spacious and had everything that you would expect from a time share villa. Bathroom was clean and big. It is also shared by both rooms, but both doors have locks.
As far as the area goes, I was invited by friends that had a boat and went there to fish. So, this was the ideal place for that sort of thing. They did not rent a slip, it was a bit pricey; about $200 a day. There is an area that you can keep the boat on a trailer. My thing was the beach, I highly recommend going to Boca Grande. You have to pay a toll to get there but very worth it. The beach is very clean and the water is super calm. Also it was not crowed at all.
Overall I think this is a good stay. If you have a group there is plenty of room and the fishing is good.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank airruiz
Reviewed December 30, 2007

The timeshare villa is BEAUTIFUL. Completely renovated since Hurricane Charley took the roof off the complex a few years ago. Overlooks water, and lots of really awesome boutiques downstairs. You access the unit via a catwalk above the shops.

I took a lot of pictures of the unit. It is painted a pretty yellow "mango" color - very tropical and updated - tastefully decorated. Plenty of room for 6 which the unit occupies. Two full or queen beds in one room, a queen or king in the other room, with one connecting bathroom, which features a separate sink area from the shower/toilet area.

Kitchen fully equipped with all standard amenities and nice decor with an eating bar. Open concept.

There is a loft sitting room upstairs with a skylight above it - has a futon up there. Lanai overlooks the water.

The restaurants/bar look outstanding. The area is near beaches, but not within walking distance. Pool and BBQ area looks updated and clean.

This is a nice little place for a quiet vacation, and near Fort Myers - about 1/2 hour away. It is a little over an hour to Tampa.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Judy C1
Reviewed September 25, 2007

My husband, my son, and myself stayed here for a week. It was a time share exchange from a friend. The room and the hotel were very nice. Plenty of room to sleep at least 6 people. The pool was nice too. It was a little loud on Friday and Saturday night from the bar at the end of the hotel. Security for the hotel was very good about keeping the crowd at the bar in check. I would reccomend this hotel. The people that worked there are very friendly and helpful with directions. Sitting out on the balcony at sunset was the best ever! I have never seen a sunset as beautiful as I did when we were there. I would return to this city and hotel!

Stayed: June 2007
4  Thank Redhairlady
Reviewed August 24, 2007

Just got back from a RCI exchange with 3 little kids. We thought the place was nice especially for boating or fishing enthusiasts but not families with young kids.

Location: Fishermen's village is pretty much the only attraction in town with shops, restaurants and bars all in the same place. Marina is right on site belongs to the resort so pretty advantageous for those who stay there. Unfortunately, we took the flight and landed in Orlando. So it was a 2 1/2 hour drive from the airport to Punta Gorda.

Room: We had a two bedroom villa which also came with a loft. Each bedroom has a double bed. Loft has a double futon and living room also has a pull out double sofa. Descend size condo but I would have prefer to trade in the loft area to have a larger living / dining space.

Staff: Very friendly and responsive. Many things did not work in the room such as broken patio door, non-working radio alarm, and odd items. But since they responded well, it did not bother us that much. The only thing was the safe. It was never installed. I saw all the screen and parts and safe itself but could never use it. However, after mentioning it to the front desk, my six year old did find an electronic screw driver on my bed in the afternoon. We wondered if that was a hint from the resort wanting us to self-install the safe?
Loft: Not designed for families with young children but great for teenagers or older kids. Access to the loft is through steep ladder and I worry for my kids each time they climb up there. The guard rails have wide gaps that were large enough for my 4 year boy's head (or mine) to go through. Definitely not for young kids. Need to watch out.

Kitchen: a full kitchen with all new appliances stocked with all necessities . nice touch by leaving salt and Tupper wares in the room. However, we kept on running out dishes....

Bathroom: That is a place I would urge resort to renovate rather just to fit bathtub with PVC liner and vinyl floor. Not a resort style bathroom at all. And one bathroom is simply not enough.

Bedroom: beds were fine and comfy. There were extra pillows and blankets so did not need to request extra. TV was dated from 70's and has no remote.

Pool: small pool right by parking and road access but clean and always open. Need to cross traffic in order to get to the pool, not exactly relaxing or safe. Many mosquitoes as well especially in the evening.

Tennis: Clay tennis court so bring tennis shoes and racquet!

View: If you like sunset and sun rise, the view is beautiful. Marina and opening to the ocean is gorgeous.

Overall, the stay was comfortable but 3 nights was enough for us because we are not into boating. But I can see families with older kids and enjoy marine or boating life style will enjoy the place.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Voyage_familial
Reviewed September 18, 2006

September 2006, we had our week stay at the village. The common areas were kept up every day. The room was very clean. The only exception was the bathroom. It is very small where the tub and toliet are located. The area outside where the sink is large though.

Everyone one was very helpful when asked a question for locations to places in the area.

Yes, do try to stay away from the Smuggler'S BAR & REST for rooming. It is loud on the weekend especially. There marina is still not ready. They told us October 1st. At the pace the workers that are working on it, I don't think that's going to happen.

If you want entertainment, there is something there for you. Boat tour trips, music and shopping, and restaurants. The pool area was nice. We stopped in everyday for awhile. You do here the motorcycle bikes & trucks go bye, but it didn't bother us.

We will go back in the future!

7  Thank Betya
Reviewed August 18, 2006

Fishermen's Village is, in fact, much more than a "hotel". The accomodations are in fact timeshares. However, since many villa owners can't use their week in any given year, it's possible to rent a single night or a week through the resort office: 1-800-639-0020, or take a chance and visit the office located on the second floor of the complex at 1200W Retta Esplanade. The complex is hard to miss, because on the ground floor shopping, restaurants, and marina make this a tourist mecca. This former city dock projects into the large Peace River estuary, with magnificent water views. The Kingfisher fleet conducts fishing charters and boat tours from the marina. But, what about the accomodations? They consist of spacious 2 bedroom apartments, plus loft with ladder access, with soaring cathedral ceilings and skylights, and incredible water views from each balcony. Each bedroom has a queen bed, and the loft features a full/double futon, best suited to children. The kitchen is fully equipped, including stove, fridge, microwave, sink garbage disposal and dishwasher...pots, pans, dishes and glasses for 6...right down to filled salt and pepper shakers. Housekeeping provides towel service and twice a week cleaning. The heated pool is small, but clean. A local shuttle can help with groceries if you choose not to bring a car, or try the free bicycle rentals. All beds/furnishings were replaced in 2005, since the complex was ground zero for force 4 hurricane Charley on August 13, 2004. I have been visiting for almost 20 years, and unlike many timeshares, Fishermen's Village just keeps getting better. With superb restaurants, shopping, and tours available right at your door, Fishermen's Village is a complete destination.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
#2 of 7 in Punta Gorda
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Port Charlotte-Punta Gorda
La Quinta Inn & Suites Port Charlotte
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Charlotte

Been to Fishermen's Village Resort? Share your experiences!