“Great European/German Food”

Cuisines: European, German
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We went there for dinner about 4 weeks ago, based on Tripadvisor reviews. Overall, excellent. We went with a n Irish couple who had lived in Germany for 5 years and told us the food was very comparable to good German restaurants over there. They were more than impressed. We had the Schweinebraten (German pork roast), German Bratwurst Dinner and Hungarian Goulash. All very good. And the service were very way above average. My wife ordered a wine by mistake, (her fault) and they still insisted in replacing with a glas of what she really wanted, no charge. This will be the first restaurant we go to when we come back. And finally, the prices are absurdly low for the quality.

2  Thank buffalosoccer

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Rouladen ($18) was the special for the evening we were there. My husband had it and was quite satisfied with it. I had the salmon in a reisling cream sauce ($18) which was excellent. We both chose potato pancakes for one of our sides and were a bit disappointed that they weren't crispy. We were also asked if we wanted sour cream and/or apple sauce to accompany the pancakes. We chose one of each. When we got our bill, I was surprised to find extra charges for both. It only amounted to $1.50, but I always find these add ons annoying, especially in a nice restaurant.

2  Thank carol2034
Reviewed January 10, 2013

My family and I spent a few days in Punta Gorda during the holidays and ate a quite a few restaurants in the area. Sandra's was, by far, the best. There's nothing fancy about the decor and it doesn't look like it will be anything special from the outside. But the staff was very friendly and the German/European food was great - delicious beer choices, as well. If I am ever in the Punta Gorda area again, I will definitely make plans to go to Sandra's.

2  Thank Greg C
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Foods:
As a fan of European cuisine, I was very interested in trying out Sandra's. I would call their menu 'mainly' German, but they have an excellent selection of pasta, several non-German salads, and a dish I have fallen in love with, their Hungarian goulash.

If you're new to this sort of food, I would highly recommend starting with the Mixed Euro plate ($15) which comes with a bratwurst, a pork schnitzel, and a cup of goulash with one side of your choice. This will give you a nice introduction to the menu, and is big enough it could be shared by two if you weren't both starving-hungry. Also: they have a nice selection of appetizers.

Note: If you don't read German, the waitstaff will explain any items on the menu for you.

Drinks:
Excellent selection of German beers on tap in several styles (pilsner, lager, black lager, doppelbock to name a few). I think they are up to five taps, and a bottle selection numbering around the mid-twenties. Several standard American beers in there too for the Budweiser crowd. Also: ask about their Mug Club (I just joined up.) The MC covers the Celtic Ray Public House, Shorty's Place, and the Office as well. The wine selection is plentiful without being overwhelming. No hard drinks.

Atmosphere:
The one thing I noticed more than the decor, was that place is clean. Super clean. Music plays throughout dinner service through house speakers, and on weekends the servers wear dirndls (those Octoberfest dresses)

Overall:
Try it, you won't be disappointed. :)

3  Thank Chris F
Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

I went in for the goulash buffet and I was extremely pleased. Delicious! The restaurant has a warm inviting atmosphere and the servers are very kind. I highly recommend this restaurant and will be coming back for more!

4  Thank Nrrdeh