“Great Food, Great Staff”

Peace River Seafood
Ranked #13 of 164 Restaurants in Punta Gorda
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: There is info on blogthebeach.com.
Description: There is info on blogthebeach.com.
Reviewed October 31, 2012

It's nothing to look at. You might even be reluctant to stop.

But there's a reason the parking lot is always full. And you might see a beatup old pickup parked between a German expensive German sports sedan and a late model Caddy.

There's no "ambaince". This is an old style crab house where they put newspapers down on the picknic table and keep bringing steamed blues until you cry "Uncle"!

I've been to Peace River Seafood twice in the past week. Each time was for a late lunch after kayaking local creeks. It's a great place to relax on one of the porches with a cold beer and friends.

And in addition to the crabs the menu offers a number of other choices. The smoked mullet spread makes a nice appetizer. One of my companions always opts for the cat fish. Another had red snapper last week, and yellow tail today. I samples the shrimp creole a dn the 'gator gumbo on my two visits. My portiona were large enogh to take home to finish later.

The one waitress is often busy but invariably cherrful, friendly, and remarkably efficient.

They also sell fresh seafood at a counter adjacent to the restaurant.

This is a great place for a fish samdwich and a beer, a bucket of crabs or some shrimp. Casual. Friendly. Easy going.

1  Thank OldRoadWarrior60

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Food was great. However, they also charged me for someone elses dinner. So take cash with you and don't use credit or debit. Manager was not overly friendly when first called. After, second call, when I had said I had already called my bank she was alot nicer.

4  Thank Marie A
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The outside view( as well as the inside) doesn't lend to thoughts of fine dining but this place is a gem. I was hesitant to order the whole crab meal as I have never eaten crab this way before. The waitress Sarah felt my hesitance and assured me she would help me figure out how to remove the meat from my crabs. She suggested the large crabs would be easier to manage since I was a novice. After lining our table with newspaper and bring me a wooden mallet she brought me a huge platter with 6 big bright red crabs I was a bit overwhelmed. Never fear....Sarah was true to her word and gave me crab cracking lessons and came over several times to make sure I was managing. The taste of that crab was worth every bit of work to get it out. My husband had peel and eat shrimp that were also tasty. The price was great for what you get. The whole experience was fun. Don't hesitate and tell Sarah Hi!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Just stopped in to eat on a whim. We much prefer local eateries over chains. We weren't disappointed. The best seafood dinner we had in the area. When the server realized that my husband had never eaten mullet, she brought a sample of it with his meal. A very pleasnt surprise. He liked it... BTW.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

On a recent trip to Punta Gorda, FL my husband and I decided to try Peace River Seafood. As we drove by - we saw the fishing boats in the parking lot unloading, this was a good sign. We sat inside, the restaurant is small and kitschy with signed dollar bills lining the walls - I felt it had a very key west type of charm which I enjoyed. There is also a huge outdoor deck with picnic tables as well. Our waitress was busy but very friendly, I ordered the grilled grouper sandwich and was told they were out - the waitress took the time to explain what other fresh fish was available. While the waitress was still at our table, someone yelled in the back door that grouper was available. The waitress said it would be a few minutes while the grouper was fileted. While we waited for our lunch the waitress brought out a small container of mullet spread and saltine crackers for us to try. I had never tried mullet before and really enjoyed the spread. The grouper sandwich was outstanding, so fresh and nicely seasoned - by far the best grouper I've ever tasted, served with french fries. For desert we shared a slice of key lime pie with whipped cream - it was delicious. There is also a small fish market attached to the back of the restaurant where the fresh catch was being sold. I would definately recommend this restaurant.