“Great Atmosephere”

Ranked #7 of 162 Restaurants in Punta Gorda
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Dean's South of the Border has been a local favorite since 1992, family owned & operated it offers something for everyone from Tex Mex to classic American favorites. Dean's offers indoor/outdoor dining, entertainment 7 days a week, full sports bar, kids menu, happy hour, early bird, daily specials and late night menu. There's always a party going on at Dean's!
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Great margarita's, great servers, good chips and way too much food.

There are newer reviews for Dean's South of the Border

Reviewed February 18, 2012

We came across the great place just by chance but enjoyed it so much we came back the next night.

It is a typical neighbourhood, independently owned US Tex Mex cantina / diner - not fancy in any way and situated on a main road (with parking) but serving good value Tex Mex food with friendly and efficient service (and you can sit outside if you want).

The menu has everything you would expect: burgers, chicken, steak, shrimps in various guises both from "north of the border" ie Tex and "south of the border" ie Mex - so always something good to choose. The food is cooked in the open kitchen and is exactly what you would hope for: wholesome , filling and tasty.

Prices are good with mains less than $15 and starters around $5. Drinks are reasonable also (beer $3.25/bottle). Portions are large but not gigantic.

Service is friendly, homely and efficient.

Fellow diners all appeared to be local, mainly families.

All in all a great place for an easy dinner.

1  Thank Bigamee
Reviewed February 4, 2012

Service is horrible, takes forever to get even noticed, let alone get a drink and the food comes 40 minutes after ordering and is rather blah. Had the burrito and the sauce was if they just opened up a can and poured it on top. Will not go back.

Reviewed February 2, 2012

We've eaten at Dean's several times and have always been pleased with the food and the service. A friend told us to go here for the best burger in the tri-state area. (His grasp of geography might not be A+, but his taste in food was right on.) I think he was correct. As such, and since I'm not a Tex-Mex fan, my food experience is limited to the burgers. Mmm Mmm good.

Others with whom I have dined have been very complementary about the other food items and my friends are usually sincere, so I think you can believe them.

They have live music quite often and the bands we have heard were quite entertaining. The entire restaurant has a fun and casual feel. I'd say the prices were pretty reasonable and there are lots of choices for beverages.

For me, this is a must-return restaurant.

Reviewed January 19, 2012

Dean's S.O.B. for short... Has the best Tex-Mex style food in the area. The indoor seating is dark and in need of some updating atmosphere wise, so I recommend sitting outside. On some nights there is live music and that adds to the fun! The food is delicious and the portions are very big so be careful not to over order. You can't go wrong as far as I have experienced and I've never had a bad meal there. One of my personal favorites is the salad with chunks of blue cheese and sirlion steak tips. They make their own salsa here and I have to say its delicious! Servers can get busy but are always running so be patient. Check out the Band Swamp Donkie or Gary & Kerri if they are playing there.... Really entertaining and talented! I usually stick to the beer but they also have some creative Sailor Jerry rum drinks that are well worth checking out. Enjoy!