“Letdown @ Lunchtime”
Review of Phil's 41

Phil's 41
Ranked #13 of 161 Restaurants in Punta Gorda
Cuisines: Italian, American, Soups
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
pittsburgh
“Letdown @ Lunchtime”
Reviewed April 16, 2011

Having read the stellar reviews, I stopped in at 3:00pm on a Saturday afternoon... was warmly greeted.. and my server suggested the lunch fish specials. I ordered fish & chips and my companions went with spaghetti w/meat-sauce and the crab cake sandwich. SO FAR SO GOOD! The food was prepared quickly and now it was time to eat!

UH OH!!! The Bassa fish (from Vietnam so I was told )was rubbery and bland and was accompanied by the smallest container of coleslaw I have ever encountered! Perhaps one tablespoon of slaw! and what slaw it was! Overly sweet and fruity! Thank goodness there was only 1/4 of a mouthful! This also came with sweet potato fries which were a bit greasy but good. Entree # 1 FAIL

The crab cake sandwich was served on a large kaiser bun and came with the same awful slaw and traditional fries. My friend passed the crab my way for a taste."" Not too good" thought I! Entree # 2 FAIL

Next up was the spaghetti. (by this time we were discussing the great reviews seen here and our profound disappointment as I was again offered a taste) IT WAS REGULAR PLAIN SPAGHETTI AND SAUCE without any character or excitement. The garlic bread that one must order separately was hard and overly seasoned! Entree # 3 FAIL

I slumped in my comfortable diner seat! What had just happened? Was it the lunchtime staff in the kitchen forgetting everything Phil had taught? Was it me and my friends over expecting? SIGH...

Our server asked if we enjoyed the food and we met her smile with blank gazes...she saw our unfinished meals and inquired again about the quality of the food. I finally said that we hadn't enjoyed the meal at all. Now it was her time for a blank gaze. She brought the check ..( sadly not the manager who might have repaired the situation with a reduction of the bill or a free dinner next time) We paid and left.

Was this meal an anomaly? Perhaps.... Is Phil's 41 the best restaurant in Punta Gorda? Perhaps.... will I return?

NEVER

• Visited April 2011
3 Thank dunkirk2

NJ
“Phil's 41 surpassed ALL EXPECTATIONS!”
Reviewed April 5, 2011

Four us recently went to dinner at Phil's 41 and experienced the best dinner we have had in a long time. The salads were fresh, the soup was divine, the home made crab cakes personally prepared by Phil, as well as the entree's such as the Ahi Tuna , the Cod Fish, and the Escargo Sophia were superb. The deserts were magnicent especially the tartufo and the sepcialty dessert of the day Spumoni Cake laced with Strega Liqeur.

Phil's 41 has a rich atmostphere, offers excellent service, and reasonalbe prices.

Chris and Bill Mudd, Adele and Lance Guthreau, and Carmela Sapio

• Visited March 2011
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great place to eat”
Reviewed March 30, 2011

First night in town, a bit frazzeled, but checked the reviews for Phil's 41 and decided to try it. Great food and service reasonable prices.

1 Thank Dickd56
Avon Lake
“A Real Family Restaurant”
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Invited some friends from Ohio to meets us at Phils. We all had questions about the menu and the staff was friendly,helpful and knowledgeable about the food. The place was spotless. Food was fresh,high quality and presentation was above average. The prices were very reasonable all of our lunches were under 10 Dollars each. Everyone had something different and everyone cleaned their plate , raved about the food and service. We had a brand new waiter (it was his second day as a waiter!) he was a very pleasant young man and he had great personality . His support was right there if he needed any information or direction. At last a REAL FAMILY RESTAURANT.

• Visited February 2011
Bellingham, Washington
“Solid value in Punta Gorda”
Reviewed January 19, 2011

Phil's 41 helps fill a real need in Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte: High-quality food plus warm service plus fair prices. The menu has solid Italian choices that make New Yorkers feel at home. And lunch specials are much better than many other places in the area. Crab cakes, especially, were top-notch. The service is warm and personal--yet efficient. A very welcome spot.

• Visited December 2010