“Great Kitchen, Good Service”
Review of The Perfect Caper

The Perfect Caper
Reserve with OpenTable
The Perfect Caper is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 165 Restaurants in Punta Gorda
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Nesbit St.
Reviewed February 17, 2011

Four of enjoyed a wonderful meal. The fixed menu had some great choices - the warm goat cheese was delicious, both people who had the steak said it was their best steak ever, the scallops were perfectly cooked. The wine list could be improved with some French Bordeaux wines and splits of champagne. One of the best restaurants in the Fort Myers area, well worth the 40 minute drive.

1  Thank escoffier1

Reviewed February 13, 2011

Attempted to make a reservation on Saturday February 12, 2011 and was put on a permanent hold. Called back and was informed they were totally booked. Called again for a Sunday February 13, 2011 reservation and told "no problem" for 7:15 pm. Arrived at the restaurant about five minutes early and told (after a ten minute wait for the hostess to show up) that we did not have a reservation in the book but perhaps they would be able to find us a table. Oh no, your reservation is for Tuesday at 7:15 pm, no tables this evening.
Firstly, perhaps you need better customer relations people to meet and greet - maybe even someone who can answer a phone and pay attention at the same time.
Secondly, having worked in the restaurant business, it would be wise to have some wait staff that aren't all hovering around the silverware and napkins trying to sort them out as people are waiting at the entryway to be seated.
Thirdly, if, in fact, this restaurant is so good, why would you want to leave someone with such a bad taste?
I will thankfully never know how the food is but I could not enjoy a meal after being treated so poorly especially in a "service" business.

4  Thank carnepoo
Reviewed October 30, 2010

Typical of what has become of this restaurant is the total lack of replies, either to our letter to the owners, (extracts below), or to our follow up Voicemail message.
"Hi. We are occasional if infrequent diners at The Caper. Yesterday evening (Oct.15) we brought two guests with us to what we hoped would be a very pleasant celebratory meal at what we considered to be the best restaurant in Charlotte County.
What we experienced was a disappointing and embarrassing three and a quarter hours of frustration and. let's face it, mediocre food.
We list below the litany of unsatisfactory factors contributing to this disaster.
1) We had made a reservation for 6.30 something over a week ago, when I(James) indicated that this was a special occasion, celebrating two birthdays, one an 80th. I asked for a nice table and was assured that we "would be looked after well". We arrived at exactly 6.30 and were conducted to our table by a pleasant young lady. However, the table was not a "nice" one and we asked to be moved to a booth, which was done very reluctantly.
2) There were no menus available (!) but we did have a wine list, so once the waiter had decided to visit our table we ordered cocktails and a bottle of wine.
3) A liitle over 30 minutes later we still had not received our drinks, but the menus had arrived! One of us (James) even left the table to enquire whether we would ever get our cocktails! They did eventually arrive with our "Amuse-bouches"..High-falluting name, even when it's pronounced correctly!.............................
6) Orders were eventually taken. Our guests both had Filets Mignon, we both had duck. I asked for Foie Gras to start and asked if I could have some toast. But was told I couldn't have it. TOAST???........
9) Appetisers were finished and cleared, and the next wait began. Our frustration was clearly visible - our waiter tried to placate us by saying "Won't be long now." Didn't help!
10) Some 30 minutes later our entrees arrived. Steaks looked and good we were told. However, our Ducks a Deux Facons were pretty disastrous. The breasts were cooked to our liking but the legs were burnt to a crisp. My wife felt once or twice that she had broken a tooth on the charcoal!......
12) By this time we were all fed up with the service and the moderate quality of the food, but this was supposed to be a Special Occasion and I got up again and spoke to the "Maitresse D'" about something special for our guest's birthdays. I was told that :something can be arranged with your desserts" But frankly we were so PO'd by this time, and so TIRED that we did not want desserts, just coffee. We must say the coffees were good!"
In my Summing Up in my letter I pointed out that tables around us seemed to being served by friendly and professional waiters and waitresses. The table next to ours was occupied by three sets of diners while we were there. In fact the most prefessional service person at our table was the busboy. Friendly, unobtrusive and efficient,
To repeat, this is a shortened version of our letter. There was a lot more! As yet (and it is now two weeks since we wrote it) we have heard nothing from The Caper. We could have been good customers, but we will never go back.

3  Thank flavortec
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Just love sitting at the Perfect Caper bar and having perfect martinis and the best hamburgers not just in Punta Gorda...but one of the best I have had anywhere! Their chopped salad is wonderful...and I haven't even gotten to the rest of their incredible menu.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed July 2, 2010

After reading comments on Sauveur magazine, a friend and I drove 50 minutes to try this restaurant for lunch. We ordered the fried calamari. It was served with sweet/hot chili sauce and cilantro....it was excellent. it was crispy on the outside and tender and moist in the inside. The chili gave it a nice kick, but did not take away the calamari taste. We also ordered the mac and cheese with lobster. We both were disappointed. It had very little lobster....and I mean very little(2 tiny pieces), the pasta a bit overdone and the sauce was pretty average. Lets say that for being one of the more expensive item on the lunch menu ,I expected to delight my taste buds. I definitely would not order this item again.
On the way out we were asked how it was. My friend said that we loved the calamari , but did not enjouy the mac-and-cheese. They (chef and owner? not sure) got a bit defensive and said that everyone loves that dish. We were the only ones...I guess there is always a first. The tone was a bit rude and basically implied that something was wrong with us. Sorry we were honest in our response. Lets say that I may go back some other time to try other items, but they sure have a lot to learn about customer service and being open about criticism.

1  Thank tinava