“Awful”

Lulu Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Latin
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Lulu is located on the first floor and roof of the luxurious Wyvern Hotel. Our first floor dining features a new menu for 2013. Our roof top with the scenic sunset views of the harbor area, trendy drinks, weekend bands and fabulous atmosphere make it the place to be for all.
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Quite a disappointment. It started as we were seated at 6:30pm in the almost-empty restaurant and told several of the most promising items listed on the menu were unavailable. Things went downhill once food was served. Basket of stale bread, boring iceberg lettuce salad with watery and tasteless bleu cheese dressing and uninspired entrees. The “tomato basil salad” side dish with my flank steak entree was simply two small slices of regular store-bought red tomatoes with two basil leaves. My husband ordered the scallops, a blah plate with 5 small scallops and a plop of what tasted like out-of-the-box mashed potatoes. . .not even a garnish of parsley. I'm not a great cook, but even I can do better than this. The poor man was still ravenous afterwards and quickly made himself a sandwich once we returned home. To cap off the overpriced and underwhelming evening, the waitress brought the check and announced she automatically added an 18% tip on the bill, despite the fact there were only four of us and a single check. We would have made a fuss were we not hosting guests. I'm amazed such a poor restaurant manages to stay in business.

1  Thank PVTraveler2013
Chris H, Guest Relations Manager at Lulu Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear PVTraveler2013, I would like to thank you for your review to let us know how your experience with us was. I am not sure if you are aware or not, but our restaurant is currently in the stages of renovations, soon to become a sports bar and grill. Our doors closed on 8/1/13, and is expected to re-open around October of this year. We will have an entirely new staff brought on board as well as an array of new dishes being offered on a brand new menu, all in a fun environment. I assure you that once we reopen, your experience with our new restaurant will be nothing short of amazement and perfection. I hope that you will give us another try soon. Please contact me directly at cheaxt@thewyvernhotel.com and I will make sure you are well taken care of.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We ate at LuLu on the 4th of July. We had the churrasco steak, which was delicious. The décor and the service was wonderful. We recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting the Punta Gorda area.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

When we first started to go to the Wyvern Hotel about two years ago, the food at Lulu's was superb and the service matched. Over time, the service has not held to the standards that it once had and the menu has changed often. They used to offer specials which were indeed, special. Now they have an appbreviated menu and the food is far from what they advertise. I would like to see the managment reinstitute the old menu and the specials and the quality of food. When we were there last week end we had to explain to the manager that the steak that we (four of us) were served was not the steak we ordered, She was very apologetic and offered us free desserts. That, however, nice as it was, does not compensate for the fact that we did not get what we ordered..

1  Thank EnidBetty

Hello EnidBetty, thank you for your candid response. I would like you to know that our LuLu Restaurant is currently closed and renovations are underway for us to open in October as a sports bar and grill. The management of LuLu's and The Wyvern Hotel have listened to our guests and have decided it is time for a change. Please stay tuned as we will be reopening soon with an entirely new menu, staff, and atmosphere.! Again, I thank you for your review, and hope to have the opportunity to have you join us again soon!

Reviewed March 11, 2013

This really is a lovely restaurant.........the service was excellent. It was not crowded on the Wednesday that we went and I am not sure why. We all had salads with the homemade dressing and it was great. We all had different dinners, everyone liked what they ordered. My grouper was large but maybe a bit fishy tasting.......but that could be me. My husband's pork was great, and Bob's salmon was also excellent. We had coffee that came to the table in a little silver service set. A very nice quite restaurants with draperies and white linen table clothes make for a fine experience. Especially when the service is so friendly.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

We ate there before with friends and we were not impressed then. The same friend wanted to go back for her birthday because she loved their Mussels. Three couples met them there. The Restaurant was empty at 6:15 which told me a lot but our friend insisted on staying. The dining room is blocked off and you have to eat in the small bar area.There was a bar tender and 1 waiter. They only have a mini menu and no drink specials. Since the bar was also empty maybe the should offer some drink specials to bring in some more customers! Five of us ordered meals and the sixth only ordered a bowl of soup. My wife and I ordered the liver special, two ladies ordered the Shish Kabobs and our friend ordered her mussels. When our meals came out our liver was bloody and my wife took a small bite and said that it didn't taste or smell good. Both Shish Kabob plates came our burnt. There were 3 kabobs, one of pork, chicken and beef. the beef kabobs were beyond burnt and the chicken couldn't be cut it was so over cooked. Normally when you order kabobs they come on a bed of rice, these came on lettuce with no other sides! All four of us sent our meals back and ordered a hamburger.

There isn't any manager around to complain too and while our friend ate we were not even offered a FREE drink as compensation! We've been to many restaurants and have always been compensated in some manner when there is a problem, but not here. The only problem with the burgers was that they toast the buns but my wife's burn was toasted beyond eating so she just ate the burger. Our friend who wanted to eat here said that her mussels weren't good either.

When we got our bill's there wasn't any discount for our troubles and they didn't even offer us free deserts! With poor food and customer service you'd be better off getting a burger from a fast food restaurant. We all agreed that none of us would ever return to this restaurant!

We were there from 6:15 to about 8:30 and we were the only customers. As we were leaving another group of six came in and the ladies in our group work with one of the ladies in this group. The next day at work he ladies were talking and the other lady said that of the 6 in here party 3 of the meals got sent back. They were all disappointed with the food and service also. She also said that everyone in her party agreed that they would never go back either!

So, on the evening we went the restaurant had 12 patrons. Of that 11 ordered meals and of the 11 meals 7 got sent back and all 12 agreed that they would NEVER return! I think that that says it all about this restaurant. I guess that they can just hope that the snow birds don't read Trip Advisor's reviews and they can stay in business.

5  Thank Bill M

Dear Guest, thank you for your candid response. I would like you to know that our LuLu Restaurant is currently closed and renovations are underway for us to open in October as a sports bar and grill. The management of LuLu's and The Wyvern Hotel have listened to our guests and have decided it is time for a change. Please stay tuned as we will be reopening soon with an entirely new menu, staff, and atmosphere.! Again, I thank you for your review, and hope to have the opportunity to have you join us again soon!