“best hotel hi stay in long time”

The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Punta Gorda
Dunedin, Florida
“best hotel hi stay in long time”
Reviewed September 26, 2010

the hotel is gorgius, the room are what your see in the internet, the staff is very good, the cleaneless in the room is above and beyong, any hotel, plenty towel, etc...
this was my stay for one night, but will be back to stay and will toll al my friend,
he worth

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
penna
Reviewed April 18, 2010

Everyone we encountered on our visit was very friendly and very helpful. We had a sad trip to visit my husband's mother who is not in good health. Not remembering things. Her son, my husband passed away on March 27th. His daughter and I went to visit her because she fell and broke her hip and tore her knee ligament. She was not able to attend the services for her son, so we went to talk to her about it. SOOO sad. But everyone at the Wyvern who knew about this and even those who did not, treated us fantastic. Shout out to Mike , Nick and Greg. They were great!! If I forgot anyone please forgive me . Kim Robinson

• Stayed April 2010
Chicagoland, IL
Reviewed April 9, 2010

My husband and I had to travel to the Port Charlotte area to handle some financial matters for an elderly family member. Our days were spent chasing around to meetings, moving furniture, and going through mountains of paperwork. I decided that since our days were going to be spent in a most un-vacation like way, that at least our evenings could feel more like a getaway. So I looked for a place to stay that was a bit more unusual than a Marriot or Sheraton. I was happy to find a brand-new boutique hotel just 10 minutes away from where our relative lived!

The Wyvern is sparkling and new and lived up to the promises on its website. The rooms are lovely and modern and clean. The rooftop bar as well as the Mexican Cantina next door to the hotel are fairly lively in the evenings, which would have been great had we not been so exhausted at the end of the day. As it was, even the live music from the cantina wound down around 10 p.m. and didn't disturb us in the least. Only hotel guests have access to the room floors (rooftop bar guests can only take the elevator to the roof) so while we did encounter some revelers in the elevator, the room floors were always very quiet. We also enjoyed a very delicious dinner in the hotel restaurant, as well as nearby Spazzi.

There are definitely some kinks left to be worked out...when we got to our room very late the first night we found that we had no toilet paper in our bathroom! The parking lot also tended to be filled to occupancy in the evenings when the bar was in full swing. However, these are small issues and if/when I have to visit this area again, this is where I will choose to stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Central Illinois
Reviewed April 8, 2010

My wife and I had the great fortune of staying at the Wyvern for 3 nights departing on April 3rd. This trip to Punta Gorda and the Wyvern was a birthday gift to me from her and now I owe her big time! Even after reading all of the prior reviews the Wyvern exceeded any and every expectation. The hotel itself is beautiful, impeccably clean and definitely worthy of a 5 star/diamond rating. We have traveled extensively throughout the U.S.A. and just recently returned from a 10 day trip to London and Italy, but no place we've stayed has been any better.

The staff is extremely professional, friendly and courteous. The rooms are gorgeous with absolutely plush beds, great ammenities and the bathrooms are a work of art all their own. The Lulu restaurant in the hotel serves first rate cuisine for breakfast, lunch and dinner and you get your money's worth as well. (Do get the baked pancakes at breakfast, but be aware as they are huge so one may more than enough to fill you up.)

The Wyvern is a short distance from the airport and once you are there just about anything and everything you need or want to do is within walking distance. Great local restaurants, shopping, entertainment, boating, etc... are all right there. Last, but not least, the rooftop pool with the bar and lounge is a great place to soak up the sun, eat and simply unwind. Great harbor views and beautiful sunsets too. We met many wonderful people also staying there. We will definitely return!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg
Reviewed March 29, 2010

I was ambivalent about writing about our experience at Wyvern in Punta Gorda until I read the very first review -after our stay - on the web (the 16 March guest). Clearly the repeated smoke about attitude suggests a guests relations fire. I thought it worth taking the time to help improve a beautiful hotel.

We were guests on 27 March. Like the 16 March guest, could I mention ‘attitude’ at the front desk? I am not sure of the right word: distant, aloof, superior, uncommitted, uninterested, reluctant, detached, unfriendly, or passive aggressive? Bottom line: we felt our queries or observations were slightly beneath her good graces. I suspect it is merely a generational lapse: all grey hairs are amusing fools? Manners are heightened for the younger guests? I thought I was back in France! Perhaps some total quality management training is in order here.

That said, kudos to the friendly doorman. The wait staff at breakfast was a mixed bag. V. was friendly, responsive and professional. Food presentation and taste were excellent. The other sleepy, unkempt and disheveled waitress yawned spectacularly well beyond the morning hour.

Our room: Number 513 is under the pool. If guests like an unexpected water feature (the gurgle of pool plumbing) or the inescapable beat of a late night bass guitar, room 513 is just the ticket. I suggest only that they be forewarned or given the choice of another room if they are not late night aficionados. The room appointments were excellent: The bed comfortable, the bar stocked, cleaning standards high.

The hotel is beautiful and had it not been for the ‘attitude’ and the noise, our stay would have been longer. We checked out a day early. Perhaps the desk person would be a better fit in security?

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BigJoeWilson
bcombcool
Reviewed March 16, 2010

Overall nice place. For about $150, we got the equivalent of a $300 place in Naples. Our only bad experience was checking in when we received a little attitude from the girl behind the counter. We were early and I requested that if a room were available we would take but understand if there wasn't. First response was a huff and a reiteration of us being early and there would be no rooms available, then she came back with yes but not a harbour view. If we wanted harbour view we would have to wait but it was on first come first serve basis as to choice of room. At which point I mentioned that we might be first and we could get the paperwork done and come back later to which she replied no and then suddenly came up with a harbour view for us then and there! Her attitude was not one of customer service and quite unpleasant.

On the flip side, the hotel was quite nice. We enjoyed our room although being on the second floor, it wasn't a "full" of the harbour but it really didn't matter too much. All the other staff we encountered were quite friendly from the door man to the housekeeping, to the bartenders on the roof and finally to the checkout. If you are in the area, I would not hesitate to book.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
Reviewed February 22, 2010

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone !
Rooftop bar and pool was very nice, just wish the weather would have cooperated.
Rooms were very clean, and the beds were excellent.
Lulu's resturant was not too overpriced, and the food was great.
This hotel is worth the stay, and would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Port Charlotte
La Quinta Inn & Suites Port Charlotte
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Charlotte
Hampton Inn Port Charlotte / Punta Gorda

Been to The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda? Share your experiences!