“Very good choice for the money”

The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Punta Gorda
Tampa, Florida
“Very good choice for the money”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

This hotel was a very nice choice for the money so I'm giving it a 'very good.' The room and bathroom were very clean... An absolute number one priority. Beds and linens were very comfortable. Bathroom towels were soft (which doesn't always happen in hotels). Appreciated the free wi-if. Location was great; within walking distance to cute restaurants.
Negatives were nothing major, but...They need to have coffee and water available to guests in the room or lobby; room did not have coffee maker OR free bottles of water. Drinks at the rooftop pool bar were a little ridiculously priced! Very limited channels on TV. Lobby needs a new look. It's pretty sterile and unattractive. Yes... The bar across the parking lot is noisy at night but it died down eventually.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Chris H, Assistant General Manager at The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Thank you DiningInFlorida for your feedback on your recent visit to the Wyvern Hotel. I greatly value your input and will be sure to submit your ideas to the owner to consider making future improvements to our property, to better serve you. Also, we do feature a complimentary coffee station in the lobby each and every morning beginning around 5am, and as we speak, all of our guest rooms are being fully equipped with in-room coffee brewing stations as requested by many other guests as well.

Once again, I thank you for taking the time to review your experience, and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Fort Myers
Reviewed May 7, 2014

We stayed here with two other couples for a weekend getaway from just down the road in Ft. Myers and could not have picked a better place to stay. The rooms are beautifully appointed with large bathrooms and amenities. The rooftop bar has a great view of the harbor and had great weekend entertainment. We were able to walk to several fun bars and restaurants and the staff was very friendly and helpful. We plan to stay again.

Room Tip: The corner rooms had a great view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Chris H, Assistant General Manager at The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Thank you katcourt for staying with us! I am glad to hear that you were able to fully take advantage of all the amenities that the Wyvern Hotel has to offer, as well as our convenient location to Downtown Punta Gorda's Entertainment District. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon on your next visit.

Kensington, Connecticut
Reviewed May 7, 2014

we recently stayed at this hotel in early may 2014, the rooms are nice, clean and large,, the weekend parking is a joke because of the shared space for other establishments in the area, I was told about valet parking by the person at the desk and because of the rental agreement I sighed that did me no good, although the truck load of people gathered around the rear tail gate drinking could have provided a space or two, the show for the Saturday evening was men dressing in drag with a twenty dollar cover charge, although I might have enjoyed the entertainment the parking prevented me from going even though I was a guest of the wyvern, when we finally found parking my wife and I entered the elevator and proceeded to our room which was on the fourth floor, the elevator stopped on floor two and two males entered the lift who were not quests of the wyvern, if this is the amount of security provided letting anyone roam as they wish I did not feel safe, the music was loud from the rooftop, on the night stand two pair of ear plugs were provided, now I know why.
Larry

Room Tip: stay as close to the ground level as possible
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank rhino280
Chris H, Assistant General Manager at The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear rhino280,

I am so sorry to hear of your negative experience at the Wyvern Hotel. We greatly value your feedback to help us improve in areas needed. I will assure you that all of our guest floors ARE locked with room key access only for security purposes, any guest that is on a floor is indeed a patron of the hotel. If you do have any further comments or concerns, please feel free to reach out to me directly at CHeaxt@TheWyvernHotel.com at anytime, I am here for you.

miami
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Had never been to Punta Gorda before, was looking for a nice hotel. The Wyvern was that and then some. I would consider this a smallish boutique hotel...intimate. The room was very nice, with a couch, mini-bar and an beautiful bathroom (bathrobes included).

The hotel had a small gym (a few treadmills, elpitcal, etc) and had a beautiful rooftop bar and pool area...GREAT place to watch the sunset.

The hotel was within walking distance of all things Punta Gorda...local restaurants, fishing pier, etc.

The staff at the Wyvern was wonderful as well. I had a small issue and John, the manager, took care of it ASAP! I couldn't have asked for a better response than he provided.

If my travels take me back to Punta Gorda, I would look forward to another stay at the Wyvern!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms face the water, I was on the parking lot side that faces the Mexican restaurant...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Chris H, Assistant General Manager at The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Thank you so much hubbyfamily for staying with us and giving us such an honorable rating. We truly appreciate your honest feedback to better provide our services to future guests. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Atlanta
Reviewed April 30, 2014

The Wyvern is our favorite hotel to stay in when we visit our son in Punta Gorda. We love the size, service and great location of this boutique hotel. The roof top bar is a great place to hang out. A plus is that it is impeccably clean and non smoking. As a manager myself I often judge how management solves problems. We had a hefty smoking charge added to our bill the 4 days after our last stay this past Christmas. As the whole family has stayed on many occasions we knew this was not a hotel that played this games of bogus charges. We figure someone got in the room after we left and smoked or housekeeping mixed up room numbers. When I questioned management they apologized and immediately took off the charge. They dealt with this issue in such a professional manner we have booked a block of rooms and our son and future daughter-in-law chose the rooftop bar for their wedding reception this December.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bay view and not directly below the roof top bar/pool.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear travelwell92,

Thank you for providing your honest feedback about your recent visit to the Wyvern Hotel. I am truly sorry about the billing discrepancy you received, but glad to hear that we were able to get that immediately rectified for you. I look forward to your son's wedding as well and welcoming you back soon. Thanks again for your review!

Punta Gorda, Florida
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I have not stayed at the Hotel. I live just down the road from it. I do love to go to the Wyvern Hotels Rooftop Bar to watch the sunset. The bar tenders are always very pleasant and helpful. You never have to wait long for a drink either even if crowded which does happen at weekends. It seems to be a popular place for locals as well as tourists for a pleasant evening out. The entertainment is always good too. It's a great place to take your visitors to wind down after a day out beaching or boating....

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank deecee28
Chris H, Assistant General Manager at The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thanks deecee28 for stopping at the Rooftop. I do agree that the view is GREAT and can't be beat. I will be sure to give kudos to the staff at the Rooftop for providing such prompt and personalized service to you and your guests. Thanks for stopping in and hope to see you back again soon!

Cleveland, Georgia
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stay at the Wyvern EVERY CHANCE we get. Always clean, comfortable, staff is helpful and friendly. We have never been disappointed. As far as the rooftop bar, and Dean's next door...We LOVE both. We've stayed on all floors, and on both sides. Deans' is a fun place to go, and breakfast is wonderful. I hope the Wyvern and Dean's can work things out, because we love BOTH. We have always rested incredibly...beds are amazing. Can't say enough good things....

Room Tip: Must visit Dean's, next door and the roof top bar.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Tbird42004
Chris H, Assistant General Manager at The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
I can not thank you enough, Tbird42004, for your continued patronage to the Wyvern Hotel. We absolutely love our repeat guests, as that is a sign we are doing something right! As previously mentioned, we are continuously working with the management and owner of Dean's for a resolution to the noise that many experience, but glad to hear that did not bother you at all.

Thanks again for your continued support, and I look forward to personally welcoming you back on your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Gorda
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Port Charlotte
La Quinta Inn & Suites Port Charlotte
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Charlotte
Hampton Inn Port Charlotte / Punta Gorda

Been to The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda? Share your experiences!