“I don't give high marks lightly”

The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Punta Gorda
Reviewed March 1, 2014

The wyvern is immaculate, clean and sophisticated. You feel comfortable there. A water view is key and keeps you away from the city noise. The staff is helpful and considerate.
Have stayed a few times at the wyvern, and each time has been great.

Room Tip: Have to have harbor view
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dawn C
Chris H, Assistant General Manager at The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear Dawn,

Thanks you for your continued loyalty to the Wyvern Hotel. Repeat visits is always a sign that we are doing something right, and I am glad to hear that you consistently find our staff as kind and considerate, matched perfectly with our immaculate rooms.

Thanks again for always choosing to stay with us, and we look forward to pleasing you on your next visit too!

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Spent a couple of days here with friends during the Jazz Festival. Very nice hotel. Clean, modern, and a roof-top pool and bar with live music. You can walk to many restaurants, the park and marina. The restaurant next door can have some loud music at times, but it was not a problem. Prices are reasonable. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gary F
Chris H, Assistant General Manager at The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Thank you so much Gary F for your awesome review! We greatly appreciate positive feedback about our services and glad you enjoyed it. I hope you had a great time at the annual Wine & Jazz Festival, I know many other guests did as well. I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back at next year's event, be sure to always book direct and book early!

Reviewed February 24, 2014

My mom and I arrived very late at night to this Hotel and were made to feel very welcome by the front desk personnel. The rooms are beautiful and quite large, the bathroom, WOW!
Our room faced the harbour which was nice and was great to wake up to. We had breakfast in the dining room and although a bit pricey, it was very good.
The rooftop bar and pool were closed when we arrived but we ventured up to see it in the AM and can imagine this is quite the happening place in the evenings :)
Will definitely stay at this hotel if in the area in the future :)

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the marina, it's quite beautiful to see in the morning when you open up thos...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank martymonty
Chris H, Assistant General Manager at The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Thanks martymonty for staying with us, I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed all that our luxury boutique hotel has to offer! I do have to agree with you as well that view of the marina from the rooms and Rooftop are rather exceptional, Next time you come to Punta Gorda, give us a call, it would be our utmost pleasure to have you stay with us again; maybe next time you'll arrive a little earlier to take in all of the splendors of the area and the nightlife on the Rooftop.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

I am sorry to say that I would not recommend this hotel based on the very loud music going on in the neighborhood. I talked to the front desk and other guests and I don't think staying on the front side of the hotel vs. the backside makes a difference. The hotel has a lot going for it, roof-top bar and pool, beautiful rooms and linens, a luxurious bathroom, work out area, etc., etc., HOWEVER, if you want to get a good night's sleep, bring your ear plugs. They will tell you the music is SUPPOSED to stop at midnight but that's not the case. It goes on for way too long and when you are laying in bed all you hear is the loud music. Sorry, Wyvern Hotel, but I would never stay here again or recommend your hotel. I talked to the front desk and they stared at me like I had two heads. They did credit me $25 but I would never stay there again. I left the hotel feeling tired and worn out from lack of sleep and a headache from the music.

Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank VacationBound089
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Had a reunion in Punta Gorda Fl. and Wyvern was one of several hotels listed to stay in. Best choice. Friends who opted for other hotels were not happy with their accommodations. This is an independently owned hotel and they bend over backwards to please. Room was spacious and very clean and modern. Our room had a harbor view which they gave us because it was open. They have a rooftop bar and pool, great view and best place for sunsets. Walking distance to a number of great restaurants. Free coffee in the morning plus a breakfast area with a nice menu.
Restaurant is expanding to dinner within the next month. Safe off street parking. Great value

Room Tip: ask to reserve bicycles which they have for free. nice way to tour harbor area
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jack B
Chris H, Assistant General Manager at The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Thanks Jack B for such a positive review about your experience with us! Your honest opinion means a great deal to our operation and gives us room for improvement. We love our groups and will strive to great lengths to make sure each and every member is well taken care of. Make sure you tell your friends to stay with us next time and they will NEVER be let down at the Wyvern Hotel. Thanks again for staying with us, and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed February 13, 2014

The Wyvern is a beautiful hotel. The rooms are clean, modern, and very well appointed. But, there is a problem that they don't seem to have any control over... and that's the bar adjacent to their parking lot. We stayed in a room on the back side of the hotel, overlooking the parking lot - big mistake!! We had been driving all day, gone out for dinner, and returned to our room about 9:00 pm. The rock music was roaring at that little corner bar so much so that we thought it was right there in our room. We watched some TV (turned loud so that we could hear it!) until 11:00. I called the front desk at 11:15 to see what time the music would stop and was told that they had to stop at midnight. We weren't particularly happy about that, but figured we could wait. At 12:15, when the music got even louder, I called downstairs again. The clerk said that he would call the police and report it. He said that happens all the time and the police will go speak to them. By 12:35 a.m. it was quiet and we were able to get some sleep.

You would think that the hotel would try to do something about the situation. They have definitely lost one customer!!

Room Tip: If you decide to stay here, ask for a room facing the front of the hotel (it might be quieter!)
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Well, customer service desk is a little understaffed and we were given keys to someone else's room. It's a nice room we had but keep in mind that very next door there is a bar/restaurant that plays live band music into the early morning hours. It didn't disturb my sleep but it may for others. There are many other hotels in the area so I might try a different one if I find myself in this part of Florida again which incidentally is wonderful and beautiful along the water.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Chris H, Assistant General Manager at The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear Spinto74,

I am truly sorry to hear of this incident. We strive for perfection and to provide every guest with any unforgettable experience. I am sad to hear that we did not live up to this standard. Please accept my utmost apologies, and when you are ready to return to this area again, reach out to me directly at CHeaxt@TheWyvernHotel.com and I will make sure you are greatly taken care of.

Hospitably Yours,

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Charlotte
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Port Charlotte-Punta Gorda
La Quinta Inn & Suites Port Charlotte
Hampton Inn Port Charlotte / Punta Gorda

Been to The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda? Share your experiences!