“No parking available for guests on weekend evenings due to big parties at the rooftop bar”

The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Punta Gorda
Reviewed June 30, 2012

How disappointing to come back to your hotel after a long day to find no place to park your car because the parking for 'registered hotel guests only' lot is filled by weekend partiers at the rooftop bar. The front desk staff suggests parking across the street but warns you must move your car by 5 am or it will be towed. This is not an acceptable solution and I am told this happens every weekend that it's not raining. So if the weather is inclement or you arrive by taxi it may be a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank SkylerPants
There are newer reviews for The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda

Reviewed June 25, 2012

I stayed at this so called swanky hotel for a high price and could not sleep. The music was pounding in my ears from the bar next door and LuLu's restaurant made me sick!!! I would not recommend this overpriced hotel if you want any sleep this is not for you!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Michael L
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Great one night stay. Greeted at the door, fast check in and escorted to our room. In room frig with refreshment ($) but still nice. Great roof Top bar and pool. Restaurant for dinner and breakfast. Very quite room at end of hall on 3rd floor.Great service and overall very nice stay in the Punta Gorda area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank fl_bigmac_12
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Hi folks, I sincerely had an awesome stay at the Wyvern. The decor, location, ambiance, and personnel are above and beyond. My son, my father, and I had a 2 night stay there in early June and really enjoyed our stay. Mike, the bellman & engineer, was very friendly and courteous. The front desk girl Vanessa was sweet and very helpful as was the maid service which helped promptly when my son got sick on the bed. This is a gorgeous hotel but the service was very homey and welcoming. Like another review wrote, do not stay on the 5th floor on Friday or Saturday nights as the music could be loud on the rooftop lounge/pool area - which I definitely recommend seeing at night - awesome view of the town. The music does stop at midnight. Do stay there! I can't wait to go again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank PinkGaucha
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Hotel itself is great, clean beautiful rooms make you feel at home. Dinner was OK at the hotel restaurant LULU but I live in the area and do not frequent the restaurant. We stayed at the hotel for 1 night to celebrate our anniversary and do something different, I was not informed as the same with the other reviewer about the loud music on the roof. It really puzzles me on how you spend so much money to have a relaxing quiet night that costs big $$$$ and have to buy ear plugs at the gas station over the bridge!! Crazy, I can't say that I recommend this hotel for any special occasion that you'd like to just get away even if it's not far however I can recommend it if you'd like to party all night on the roof of a hotel.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Thefoodieman
Reviewed May 29, 2012

First and foremost the hotel is lovely, the rooms are super clean and spacious and very comfortable. The staff is extremely friendly and welcoming. In room the only fridge is the $$$mini bar and there is no in room coffee maker, but room service is available with excellent coffee.
My "beware" involves the unfortunate conflict of our stay and a roof top pool party event with EXTREMELY loud DJ that had our rooms vibrating with deafening bass beat beat beating into our brains until 12:30 AM. It was horrid and I do not understand the volume and how they thought that would be alright with guests who came to relax, possibly even sleep. The "party" was on the roof (6th floor) and we stayed on the 2nd floor. We heard no music just felt hours and hours of boom boom boom boom.
Not the best anniversary, unfortunately. If the hotel had simply informed us about the event when I made the reservations, I would have booked a different night. Now I will not return.

Room Tip: Ask if there will be a DJ playing on the roof during your stay. If so, and you don't want to pa...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TamMiami
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We came to this hotel for the Blue Angel Airshow and loved it. Arriving on Thursday afternoon, we were quickly checked into a corner room on the 5th floor. I'm usually a Hampton Inn customer so the extras in this hotel were a treat. The linens are superb and the bathroom is very nicely done. There is a large frameless, glass shower stall as well as a full sized tub.

The rooftop pool are bar were a pleasure. We went up for drinks and appetizers Thursday afternoon. The pool is a nice touch. Only 4 feet at the deepest, it was perfect for us loungers and for those with small kids. The Airshow was practicing while we were in the pool so that was a bonus to see the Blues fly over from in the pool.

There was a charity event on Thursday in which the Tampa Bay Rays players were guest bartenders. Each week had a different charity. The hotel restaurant for breakfast was reasonable and the food was good. Here's a tip. Get your coffee from the free dispensor upon entering the dining room. If you order from a server, they have to charge for it.

There is no business center but laptops are available for loan. I just wanted to print my boarding passes for the following day so the desk clerk allowed me to come behind the desk to do so. My friends and family got a kick out of seeing me behind the desk when they entered the hotel.

The Wyvern seems to be a big part of the community. Along with the charity events at the roof bar, they also were sponsors of the airshow. The staff was friendly and accomodating.

Two minor things - our room, even though on the 5th floor could not hear the weekend music with the windows closed but others in our group could. I could see how that would be annoying. Also, the key cards had to be redone twice.

Room Tip: Our room, 502 was great. Minimal bar noise and a corner room.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Port Charlotte-Punta Gorda
La Quinta Inn & Suites Port Charlotte
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Charlotte
Hampton Inn Port Charlotte / Punta Gorda

Been to The Wyvern Hotel Punta Gorda? Share your experiences!