“Guess They Didn't Want Our Business”

The Celtic Ray Public House
Ranked #4 of 162 Restaurants in Punta Gorda
Cuisines: Irish, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: FAILTE! [WELCOME!] The Celtic Ray Public House in downtown Punta Gorda opened in 1997 by Proprietor Kevin Doyle. At the time there wasn’t a single establishment in the area that offered a variety of quality imported beers and the atmosphere of a traditional Irish Pub. We serve only high-quality imported draught beers, bottled beers, ciders, fine wines, as well as, a selection of “soft” beverages. We also have expanded with the ‘other side’ and now have a full liquor bar! Our menu features traditional Irish Pub favorites made from fresh ingredients and family recipes.

The Celtic Ray’s Fish & Chips are famous worldwide! See you at the Ray, Slainte!
“Guess They Didn't Want Our Business”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I was really looking forward to my first meal at this restaurant. My spouse and I walked in the door around 5:30 on a Thursday night and waited to be seated......and waited......and waited. No one ever acknowledged our presence. Given that disconcerting beginning, the quite noisy ambiance, and a menu listing simple fish and chips at $16.00 we decided to take our business elsewhere. There are too many good restaurants that provide friendly, quality service to put up with one that doesn't. We probably won't give it another chance.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank speer123

Punta Gorda, Florida
“Poor Service, limited food selection”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We waited to be seated, but no-one ever came. People waled by many times and no-one bothered to tell us it was a "seat yourself" place. No-one came by to get an order, and again, no-one stopped by to let you know it was "self order" so you have to go to the bar to order. Once we finally got our order in, the food took OVER 45 minutes to arrive and was cold and only marginally edible. I might as well have cooked it myself...at home for free!!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Rebecca B
Port Charlotte, Florida
“Some good, Some not so good”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Went with a group of 14 which I don't recommend. They are not set up for large groups at least not on the first floor. We squeezed around 3 round tables pushed together. The atmosphere in the pub is nice if a little noisy. There was no entertainment on this night so I don't know how things are when there is music. Service is just as advertised you order at the bar and they bring your food to the table; you order drinks at the bar and get them there. Everyone who worked with us was pleasant, friendly and helpful. The food, however, got very mixed reviews. The Guinness Stew served over colcannon which should have been hardy and rich with flavor was boring. I've eaten lots of colcannon and this smacked of instant potatoes with not enough cabbage to even think it was there. The stew itself was lifeless and unseasoned and came with a totally unnecessary puff pastry ball. Coleslaw was a large portion but also had very little flavor. The highlight of the dinner was the buttered soda bread. The Shepherd's Pie was also disappointing with very little flavor or seasoning. Now for the good news. Everyone loved the hugh portion of Fish and Chips. The fish batter is light and crisp and truly outstanding and the fish was moist and flaky. One of our group who never eats french fries ate every one of hers, saying they were the best she had ever had. The Scotch Eggs were also a big hit as was the Leek and Potato soup. Beer selection is admirable and the iced tea fresh. Celtic Ray is a nice Pub with descent atmosphere, friendly service, reasonable prices, and middle of the road food. I would go again with a smaller group but I would order the fish.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Patbrett
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Best Irish Pub in Florida”
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

If you're looking for cheap green beer and crappy food, look elsewhere. The Ray has great food and many good beers on draft. The bar itself is huge and well done, and there is often live music. There is even outdoor entertainment on occasion, giving you a chance to enjoy the great weather while you enjoy live music and a pint.

1 Thank S D
CAPE CORAL, FL
“ABSOLUTE BEST IRISH PUB IN SW FLORIDA!!!”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

CELTIC RAY rocks se Florida!!! kevin and Max do an absolutely PHEONOMINAL JOB in running this establishment. Most Excellent St. Patrick's Day party and always a FUN TIME with FANTASTIC food anytime of the year. I drive over 30 miles to go to the RAY. Because the place is so great it seems like only a 5 minute drive. I love the fact that the food is made FRESH and served HOT and professional. The service is the best, BAR NONE!!! FAST, FRESH and FRIENDLY!!!! always. We love to sit outside in the front on a cool spring evening and eat in the swing. We enjoy going to the RAY on the weekends to hear the great IRISH MUSIC and enjoy a good craic. Most of all we LOVE the live entertainment and the fact that there are no televisions in the place to distract you from the music. A TRUE IRISH PUB in the greatest IRISH FASHION. It is really cool to always go there and meet new friends and have a good conversation. KEVIN & MAX CARE A LOT about the customers and say hello and know you when you are a local. It is great to have "THE OTHER SIDE" open again. I have neem going to the RAY for YEARS and I HAVE NEVER had a bad meal or a bad pint ever. You really need to go there several times and try all of the different dishes they offer. The public bathrooms are absolutely spotless and that is HUGE in telling what kind of a place they run. Fish and Chips are the best this side of the pond, GUINNESS is built the traditional way and all of the taps are alwasy fresh and good. I can not say one bad thing about the RAY, it just keeps getting better and better every visit. I wish it was closer to home but like I said, it is well worth the journey. My last visit to the RAY was on Sunday and I already feel Like I have been away from the RAY too long. Cnat wait to get back soon. Thanks again KEVIN & MAX you are most excellent Publicans. . . LOVE LOVE LOVE THE RAY!!!!! ROCK ON!!!and ALL THE BEST to you always. See ya soon :)

• Visited March 2013