“Destination Wedding” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Port Saint Lucie
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Destination Wedding”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

Loved it! A group of 19 spent 5 days here for the marriage of one of the couples. The wedding was away from the property at a beach but all other time was spent here enjoying all the amenities. There is so much to do and all the facilities are very nice. There are 3 large pools - one for swimming laps, one for families and one for adults. All well cared for and clean. We didn't have children in our group so spent our time at the adult pool. The property is on a river and has a cove with a sandy beach with paddle boards and small catamarans. There is so much to do - swimming, basketball, golf, tennis, a trapeze. and lots of planned activities for children. Some of the rooms can use a redo and be a little cleaner but I think it is a work in progress. The only drawback is that there is just a buffet which we tired of after a couple of days. The food was good and did change daily. The carpeted dining room needs new flooring. There is a grill with limited hours and it is by reservation for only one time. Adults only might want to plan their trip before or after summer vacation but it is such a large property that everyone can have their own space. No expense is spared on the employees, they are everywhere! Cleaning, serving, whatever they can do to please the guests. A very enjoyable stay and would definitely go again. It is so nice to have an all inclusive in the United States.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lindaleway

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (727)
  • Hebrew first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

We just returned from a week at Club Med Sandpiper Bay. It was truly the best family vacation we have ever had (full disclosure - this is our 4th time traveling as a family to Club Med Sandpiper Bay). The kids club is fantastic (my sons, ages 5 and 8, couldn't wait to go every morning, and were laughing and happy every time I peeked on them doing their various activities). The food is outstanding, the facilities are great, and the atmosphere is exactly what you want on vacation. Club Med Sandpiper Bay is my happy place - I am already trying to figure out when we can go again. I need to give a special shout-out to Jaques, the reservations manager at the front desk. He went out of his way to accommodate me. I had a work project that required me to Skype to New York while at the village. He made it all happen for me, and truly went above and beyond. I can't thank him enough.

2 Thank Jayne R
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

This was our 7th or 8th time staying at Club Med Sandpiper. I sort of lost track after so many great stays. We normally stay in the Club Family rooms and they have been fine for our needs. The kids have the bunk bed area with their own TV and we have an area right outside it with our own TV. I still have to say I miss the huge closet from before they did the updates, though this one is fine. Maybe some more shelves in the closets would help.

My kids are 8 and 5. We made a deal with them, they would go to the Kids Club in the morning while we took the tennis lesson and then played. Then we would pick them up and spend the rest of the day with them. Near the end of the trip my 8 year old was telling us not to come pick him up until after they were finished with Circus School and then telling us he wanted to go back at a certain time for a certain activity!!

Love the new volleyball courts out front. Too bad there wasn't really anyone out there that wanted to play. My husband and I went one day and we were able to round up a game, though you had to watch for the kids that were wanting to play too. Just a suggestion, you need a hose or shower out there to clean up a little after the game. You end up tracking sand everywhere.

We played tennis everyday. While he is not a GO, Gino is still my favorite. He remembers us every year and is such a great person.

The food is not bad. I do like the new restaurant and I like the fact that you are only allowed 1 reservation per room. Though while we ate there it seemed you were only doing 1 table seating. You could have easily done 2 and then let people make 2 reservations.

If you are looking for a 5 star resort this is not the place. If you are looking for a place to have fun with your kids and get some relaxing time, this is the place.

My only real big negative is the GO quality that they are putting in Sandpiper is not what it used to be. From my past visits you really made friends with the GO's and they would go out of their way to help you. Now it seems like they are just smiling because they have to. The only GO I would give major bonus points to is Adan the lifeguard. He was there 2 years ago when we went and he remembered us and was always very helpful and chatty (while watching the water at the same time). I still miss the Chief Lionel, he was the best!!

1 Thank brz4
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

Just returned from three nights at this All Inclusive property and all I can say is wow! I see a lot of all inclusives and this one is fantastic! The activities for adults, kids and families are out of this world! This resort is actually quite large with amazing athletic facilities for tennis, golf, fitness, water sports and many other activities. I took five fitness classes and they were all challenging and engaging. Maru challenged me to push a bit harder than I normally would reach a bit farther! She is an amazing instructor! I taught fitness classes for ten years and she blew me away! On her day off I took class from Four and Kimme and they were fantastic! The water class with Fernando from Mexico was a hoot! You can totally chill at Club Med but why when there is so much amazing programming going on at the resort. It never felt pressured simply inviting! The GO's make you feel like family not just guests. The entertainment was fantastic especially the circus show. The food? Well it is a French Resort after all!! Fantastic! I was not sure what to think about a resort on a river vs a beach but to tell you the truth once there I thought it was great. The water was calm and perfect for paddle boarding! Paige at water sports was so helpful! I cannot wait to visit this resort in the future hope fully with a tennis or golf group!

Room Tip: I had t deluxe family room which is huge! Two bedrooms 1/5 baths. I really liked the ground floor...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Shannon E
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

We were 4 adults and 2 kids - 3 generations. This was our first experience at an all-inclusive family oriented resort - and we were not sure what to expect. Well - the rooms were perfect, with a great view of the lagoon/beach and restaurants just beyond. The 2 kids (7 and 11) went to camp daily and were free to join the adults if they chose. They could be well-occupied at camp if they preferred it. The Deluxe rooms had a separate twin-bedded room for kids (or other adults) and 1 1/2 baths. There is a full restaurant for dinner but the resort offers 3 buffet meals daily and snacks/salads/sandwiches in-between. The variety of foods were amazing!! Add to this an open bar from 10 am and you can see lots of smiling adults. Free tennis lessons, paddle-boating in the lagoon, hobie-cat sailboats were included. For the kids, there were also trapeze lessons. Multiple pools were a delight and best of all was the evening we all spent in the Main Pool after dinner, from 8 to 9:30 pm all alone except for us 6. It was truly a treat!
The staff are all very attentive and go out of their way to be helpful. The check-in had a few hiccups but once past that, it was all simply wonderful - for kids and adults!

Room Tip: We stayed in Bldg C, room 158. King bed and 2 twins in the 2nd bedroom. Perfectly placed between t...
1 Thank GITL
Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

We have stayed at this property three times in the last four years. Our most recent visit was for five days during the first week of June. We have two teenage children that always look forward to the stay.
I thought the staff was very professional and friendly this year and did a wonderful job seeing to any needs or wants we had. The meals were great and they knocked it out of the park with Seafood night! I'll be craving that paella the rest of my life! The peel and eat shrimp was plentiful and cold, the variety of different fresh fish was wonderful. The white chocolate bread that they are famous for is still amazing, it did not disappoint!
Our room was clean and housekeeping did a great job of tidying up for us everyday while we were out enjoying the property.
I was happy to see that a bar had been placed over next to the adult pool. It was a great improvement.
We enjoyed the boats, paddle boards, cornhole, bocce and ping pong daily. There is also a trapeze there that the kids love.

New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

We just returned last night from a week at Club Med Sandpiper Bay. Overall, I would recommend this resort, especially for families with kids. To break it down, I'll give you the Really Good, the Sort of Bad and the Kind of Ugly.

The Really Good
1. The food. Even though you basically eat all three meals at one restaurant (The Marketplace), the variety is so varied, the food so plentiful and quality so good, that it's like eating at a different restaurant every day. And for those who like to eat healthy (yes, even while on vacation), they had so many great options. There was definitely something for everyone. Major thumbs up for the food.

2. The evening entertainment. The GO's basically performed in a different show each night and it was amazing what a great job they did. Very creative, entertaining for both kids and adults, and they really went out of their way each and every night. I was totally blown away by the Mini Club show (in which my kids performed). I couldn't believe they only practiced that day for the show. The staff and kids did an awesome job.

3. Some of the staff. I say "some" because I wasn't as enamored by all of the staff as some of the other folks who have written reviews but there were several who did stand out. From the Kids Mini Club, Casey and Zaretsa were particularly sweet. Blake was our daughter's tennis instructor and she loved him. I *had* to meet Maru after all of the reviews I read (she runs the fitness classes) and I'm so glad I did. What a positive, wonderful spirit...full of love and life. And she teaches a mean cardio class as well! And a special shout out to my circus friends--Chelsey, Kelsey, Kimee, Andre and (last but definitely not least) Russell. I was lucky enough to get picked to perform in the flying trapeze show and these guys were so much fun; it was definitely the highlight of my trip.

4. The accommodations. They were fine. Not fancy, not over the top, but fine. Honestly, all we did in the room was change and sleep. Roomy, clean, bright. Yes, some things could use a little TLC but we really weren't focused on the room but rather what was outside of it.

5. The activities. It is what you make of it. You can do nothing if you want, or you can fill your day with various activities, particularly things you don't get the opportunity to do every day. I had a two hour personal training session with a Triathlete (Tommy); he did a video analysis of how I run and gave me some great tips on how to run more efficiently. We worked out together and he gave me some more pointers in the gym on how to help achieve my goals. Well worth the time and money.

6. The spa. Great massage, nice place.

The Sort of Bad
1. This is minor, but we forgot our kids' toothbrushes and noticed there was no conditioner in the room. When we called the front desk, they said they had nothing and gave no suggestions. So we had to drive to Walgreen's at 10pm to buy our kids toothbrushes. I would have thought that at a hotel this big, they would have common toiletries.

2. When we checked in, we were told we could put our credit card on file to be able to charge to our room. They said they would "hold" $200 but not charge our card until we spent it. Two days later, they did charge our credit card the $200 but we hadn't spent a penny. When I went to the front desk to complain, the guy told me, "My computer says you authorized it". Long story short, they finally reversed the charge, but they should have never charged my card in the first place (and I shouldn't have had to argue to get it reversed).

3. We were put in a less expensive/smaller room for all 7 nights (which is what we actually wanted) instead of 6 nights and 1 night in a more expensive/larger room (which is how we were booked). In order to get a refund for the difference for the one night, my husband had to write a whole letter explaining what happened and why we should get a refund. They then faxed it to their "main reservation group" somewhere and said it would take a week to get resolved. We called the reservation 800# and got it resolved more quickly, but come on...they couldn't handle this at the front desk? Just more aggravation you don't want on your vacation.

4. The waterfront. It looks nice, and the sand isn't bad, but the river isn't the nicest to swim in. And the water sports were extremely limited--just paddle boarding and sailing (you could take them out in 15 minute increments). It got old quickly.

The Kind of Ugly
1. My husband and I took an intermediate tennis lesson with two other guys. We were told to take that one, as it "wasn't the first time we ever picked up a racket". The instructor was so incredibly rude to me, he all but said, "You suck". He made rude comments, rolled his eyes, told me how terrible my shots were, try again. It was embarrassing and degrading. I think he forgot we were on vacation and there to have a good time. I mentioned this one day to the main guy working there and he was so appalled, he grabbed the guy right away to talk with him. So at least they addressed the issue. Needless to say, I didn't go back for another tennis lesson.

2. And last but not least...my 10 year old had an unfortunate event with one of the G.O.'s in her Mini Club group. My daughter was tickling her neck with a little weed when the G.O. slapped her in the face. She then said to another counselor that she was annoyed by my daughter and didn't want to be around her--get her away. She made other comments like she wished she were allergic to kids so she didn't have to be around them and that she didn't like her job. I won't name names, but she is local and has a "star" tattoo on her upper back, so be on the lookout. I immediately spoke with the Assistant Manager of the Kids Club, who said he spoke to another counselor and that it was an "accident". I'm sorry, but if it were an accident, wouldn't she have apologized?! They immediately moved her into another group, but I was on high alert the rest of the trip for another other move this woman might make. Luckily, nothing else happened.

Again, some things aside, the family did have a good time, tried new things, enjoyed our free time in various ways, and met some really nice people. Last night, my 10 year old couldn't fall asleep because she was crying hysterically...she missed the trip too much and wanted to go back. That pretty much says it all!

Room Tip: I wouldn't pay extra for the turn down service. Building "B" was great--far enough aw...
4 Thank MomOfTwo77
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Saint Lucie
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port St. Lucie-Tradition
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port...
#1 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Hilton Garden Inn at PGA Village / Port St. Lucie
Hilton Garden Inn at PGA Village...
#2 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Courtyard Hutchinson Island Oceanside/Jensen Beach
Residence Inn Port St. Lucie
Residence Inn Port St. Lucie
#5 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port St. Lucie West
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#8 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
BEST WESTERN Port St. Lucie
BEST WESTERN Port St. Lucie
#6 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie

Been to Club Med Sandpiper Bay? Share your experiences!