“Club Med Sandpiper Bay”

Club Med Sandpiper Bay
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Port Saint Lucie
“Club Med Sandpiper Bay”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

this is my 3rd review in 3 years for Sandpiper. I just returned from my 6th trip to this village. I obviously like it and therefore return yearly and it is thanks to the GO team there and the awesome kids club. As so many reviews mention this is a family club and not designed for couples (unless you are going for the tennis of gold academies). David has really brought some nice changes to Sandpiper in the past year. The bar at the calm pool is perfect and the new yoga studio is great (not that I would use it). The new championship volleyball courts are superb. I want to mention the amazing service from Nikkos (restaurant manager) who hugged and welcomed us back. He has great ownership! Justine at the bar is amazing (as is most of the bar saff). Kuddos to Shane as well. There is a new restaurant called the Riverside and it is worth checking out. Our waiter (Luciano) was the nicest and politest waitersI have ever met. This kid will go far! Our trip went perfect from the great service Heather gave us at reception until we left. As mentioned Cindy's kids Club is really great for the kids. Paige, Chelsea and Russel were so good with the kids! Ted is amazing and one of the best GOs we ever met. Christian however has no business working with children. He spent a week ignoring the kids and playing on his cell phone. He scares kids and does not even smile at GMs when he crosses paths in the village. Ted almost broke his nose with a pie-to-the-face (try harder next time). Hopefully David and Cindy will take a close look at Christian and act accordingly. My only suggestions include a foot wash tap at the sailing beach, a PA system to announce activities during the day (for example there was a golf scramble that was so poorly publicized only 3 GMs attended) and its 2014--- stop charging for Wifi (especially if the signal is so weak that it only works in select locations in the village). My chocolate-bread addiction will bring me back... see you next year Sandpiper!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Markgut

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (768)
  • Hebrew first
Milan, Italy
Reviewed March 8, 2014

The location of this Club Med is impressive, with splendid views on the river and it is a nice opportunity for parents to relax while kids of all ages, starting 4 months, are at the Baby Club, etc. It was the first time ever alone for our 18 months toddler and he had a good time, leaving us a little time for our own activities (spa and tennis).
What really left us in shock is the poor quality of the food and beverage, especially after reading so many compliments of other reviewers. You do not expect gourmet food, but this is below any cafeteria standard food. All is well presented and there is a great variety, but except for - maybe - the pizza, everything is poor in cooking, taste and quality. The wine (red and white) is terrible. Also the bottled water has a terrible taste. They were also not fast enough to clean / prepare the tables after other guests had left, we had the impression the restaurant is understaffed.
We choose the two bedroom, which is very spacious and had everything we needed for our toddler: pack and play, diaper changer, bottle warmer, baby bathtub and even a stroller. I was a little disappointed because the garden window would not lock from inside (there are also chains at the door and window, but we could easily open it from outside...). Decoration is so so...

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank katbuzio
Newtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

This was my first trip to Sandpiper Bay Club Med and it was one of the best vacations that we have ever had. My wife and I are both 64 years old and looking to live a healthy and active life style. We started the morning with Yoga by the adult pool and then it was off to the tennis courts where we received professional lessons from Keith a pro, who helped me correct a number of errors in my game. After that we went to breakfast and the staff and food was excellent, Zib one of the managers at the restaurant always greeted us with a smile and was helpful. Our next activity on the agenda was either the gym or the exercise classes. Maru conducted challenging exercise classes, especially her 10 minute plank and the bosu workout. The gym was equipped with enough equipment to get me through a pretty good workout. Water aerobics with Andre was fun for my wife. The spin class with Tina was challenging and fun. In between these activities we squeezed in some sailing and Chris gave us a good lesson. Unfortunately, we came in last place in the regatta, so we'll have to come back to practice some more. After all these activities it was off to the adult pool and time for drinks the bartenders were really nice people Megan, Antonella, Shane and Julianna made some great drinks and conversation. Lastly, 5PM at the hot tub was a fun place to congregate with Beau and Andrew and other travellers where we shared our daily experiences. We just ran out of time and our one week vacation didn't allow us enough time to golf. Just to borrow an expression from Arnold "I'll be back".

Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Tony L
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed March 6, 2014

My wife, toddler son and I just came back from a 7 night trip. We couldn’t have been happier. I didn’t think about work or home once. In fact, I didn’t think about anything but what activity I was going to do next, what a great time my family and I are having, and what I should eat. The guests and GO’s were great: the friendly sports games and camaraderie in activities had me hi-fiving constantly and allowed me to come to know dozens of people on a first name basis.

About me: I enjoy being active but like to relax in-between; love meeting new people; prefer vibrancy to remote seclusion; want to avoid computers and TV when I get away; and have no regrets placing my son in Baby Daycare with awesome Club Med staff while my wife and I have a carefree day (we could check on him or take him out when we wanted). Sandpiper was a perfect fit.

The resort is best for families (go figure) but also best for couples and groups who are into tennis and, secondly, golf, based on my conversations. There’s a great culture and vibe about the place that takes down the barriers and inhibitions – by that I mean meeting people and not being reserved about it and partaking in the activities like synchronized dancing that you would never do in a bar back home (speaking for myself). Just about everyone fell into the groove, it seemed, but there will always be a few people who are contemptuous by nature and don’t want a let-loose environment, preferring a place that feeds their pretentiousness, in which case Sandpiper and Club Med is not for them.

Pros from my trip (no particular order):

1) GO’s / staff: Very friendly and personable. I was impressed with the high morale and enthusiasm, given their tough schedule. David (general manager) is ever present. The shows and games they throw are a lot of fun and allow you to become immersed in the worry-free mind set – thanks to Arty and Alex, in particular.
2) Village Center & Site Plan: the layout, spacing and landscape design encourages people to want to hang-out in public space and makes the place feel more full and lively than if there were swaths of open space and long walking distances. Sandpiper feels alive, yet walk back to your room and it’s perfectly quiet.
3) International: I loved meeting folks from around the world and hearing French used as the resort’s second language.
4) Beach Volleyball: Awesome instruction from Matt and Brooke (former professionals) – they are so friendly and fun to learn from. I hadn’t planned on playing before arriving. Nice surprise.
5) Tennis: Lessons and round robins were a lot of fun. Gino gives great pointers and is great with guests. Private lessons from Dennis (and others) is worth it IF you want to up your game – if you are just looking to have fun, then the free tennis is plenty.
6) Water Sports: You can take a sailboat or paddle boat out on a whim. In the water in 45 seconds.
7) Food: For buffet food, it’s great. Whether you want meat & potatoes or salads and fruits/vegetables. Props to Nikos for being a great host and accommodating young families.
8) Day Care: Our toddler son took a nap every afternoon he was in day care and was only visibly upset one day – that’s a feat we don’t accomplish at home. Many thanks to the GO & GE team.
9) Rooms/Accommodations: The room was 50% larger than a typical hotel room and had a closet room plus two vanities. The crib AND the stroller that came with the room were great.

Suggestions for Improvement: All minor.
1) The room felt a tad outdated, but it’s low key – the pros FAR outweigh the cons.
2) Adult Pool: Often times couldn’t find seating because people would leave a towel or book and return hours later. SUGGESTION: Put-up a sign politely asking guests to be considerate.
3) Environmental: Zero sustainability to go with the wellness resort theme. SUGGESTION: Recycle the thousands of plastic cups, at the very least. Put up a solar panel for show. Encourage using the same pool towel throughout day rather than going through 3 or 4. Lastly, the front door of our room didn’t close flush and had slight air gaps, thus inevitably making the Air Conditioner work harder (we opted for fresh air most nights, anyway).

CAN’T WAIT TO RETURN!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank ManhassetB
Vancouver
Reviewed March 5, 2014

My wife and I are active, retired seniors who have been to 6 different Club Meds over the past decade. Club Med, Sandpiper Bay, on the Port St. Lucie River in Florida is our favorite. Why do we like it enough to have visited for 8 weeks total?
1) The food is mostly American style and more to our liking. The tap water is drinkable.
2) Everyone speaks English.
3) Although Club Med caters to kids and probably has the best children's programs in the world, they hide the youngsters really well at Sandpiper Bay. There is a separate adult swimming pool and an adults-only dining room. Most families with small children are housed in separate buildings from the ones where couples like us stay.
4) Sandpiper Bay came to be as a result of Club Med's buying up a golf resort. Therefore, this is one of the few Club Meds in the world that has an 18 hole golf course on-site. (A round of golf costs about $50 in the mornings and $35 in the afternoons.)
5) The weather is reliable. Sandpiper Bay is halfway between Orlando and Miami and far enough south so that the northern cold fronts rarely reach it, --- and there are no hurricanes in the late fall and winter months.
6) It's quieter, with no loud rap music booming over the main pool and no pressure to participate in anything.
7) The coaching is far better than at Club Meds in Mexico and the Caribbean.
8) The rooms are bigger than at other Club Meds we have visited.

Why would someone want to go to a Club Med as opposed to other all-inclusive resorts? The answer is pretty simple: Most all-inclusives cater to people who want great food, free drinks, luxury accommodations, lavish evening entertainment, and beautiful beaches and free-form pools where they can unwind, read, and soak up the sun. Club Meds, on the other hand, are aimed at people like us who want to knock themselves out with sports and fitness activities.

Although the food is great at Sandpiper Bay and there are free drinks all day long, the rooms are probably at a Best Western standard with tile floors and brightly painted, tropical style furniture. However, they're large and clean and have loads of storage space. There are three swimming pools, all rectangular, and one is used for doing laps and holding aqua exercise classes. This is one of the few Club Meds located on a river. It has a nice beach but it's quite small compared to other Club Med beaches and the only included water sports are sailing and stand-up paddle boarding. But manatees and dolphins come into Sandpiper Bay which is really neat to see. The evening shows are put on by staff members and rarely exceed a high school level of sophistication or quality. But the kids love them!

Instead of luxurious rooms, what you're paying for at Club Med is professional coaching in all land and water sports and fitness activities. You cannot find that at other all-inclusive resorts. Here's two examples of the high regard I hold for the coaching at this Club Med:
I never play golf; however, I took golf lessons every day and practiced on the driving range because the teacher, Marie-Claire Bartoli from Switzerland, was so good. She has won awards as a golf instructor and spends her summers travelling around the US training other women pros. I also paid extra to take private tennis lessons from Gino, the head of the adult tennis program. Those were 3 of the best tennis lessons I have ever had.

Here's one other, final, interesting thing about this Club Med. A decade ago, they were ready to close because they weren't getting the business that Club Meds farther south were attracting. Then some bright executive came up with the idea of offering high-powered golf and tennis academies for elite juniors, complete with room, board, schooling, and coaching. That decision saved the resort because they now have 70 young tennis players and 20 golfers who live on-site throughout the school term. These kids, some as young as 10 years old, have 3 schooling options: private school, public school, or in-house education done on-line with tutors. With this latter option, they have 2 hours of school work each morning, afternoon, and evening. They receive top-level coaching in early mornings and afternoons and are trained to be the next generation of touring pros. The payoff for guests like me is that I get to work with some of the same excellent coaches that the elite kids get.

In addition to the academies, this Club Med offers golf club memberships to the community and Port St. Lucie residents can make reservations at the restaurants. As a result, the resort is doing very nicely, and has been able to undertake major renovations over the past 5 years, particularly to the rooms and fitness areas.

Club Med, Sandpiper Bay, is a great resort and you'll enjoy your holiday there if your main priority is sports and fitness.

Room Tip: Be careful about your choice of room. A standard Club Room has a desk and sitting area and is appro...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ronlk
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Mt 2yr old son and I went to Club Med for the first time recently. I was really excited and looking forward to an above average vacation! Sadly, it was not the vacation I was hoping for. I was not horribly dissappointed, but I wont be rushing back.

For starters, my transfer from the airport, arranged by Club Med, was 2 hours late. I understand that there was traffic issues which caused the delay, but 2 hours, at dinner time, is a long time to entertain a 2 yr old in an airport.

Our room was quite nice but the beds were totally uncomfortable - it was a 'king' room which was really 2 twin beds pushed together to look like a king. Other than that, the room was fine - no complaints - had a working fridge, safe, tv etc.

The Kids Club was good, but expensive. $85USD per day is hefty for babysitting. And an additional $25 USD for evenings was too much.

There is no wifi unless you pay for it. I thought they would at least have an hour in the lobby for guests to use wifi, or some kind of option but nothing. $5/hr for wifi. Or I think it was about $55/week. FOR WIFI! We ended up going up the road to Target and using thiers, which is free for thier guests.

Taxis into town are ridiculously expensive.

On our last day, our transfer back to the airport was picking us up at 6pm. I had to check out by 11, unless we wanted a late check out due to our transfer, which meant we could keep the room until 12. If I want it for the afternoon (after confirming that it hadnt been reserved by anyone esle and was going to be empty), I could book it for $10/hour. !!!

I could go on and on - dont even go near the gift shop - $8 for a bottle of 10 acetomeniphen.

By the end, the extra costs of everything left me feeling taken advantage of. I wouldnt go back as I know there are other all inclusives, which are truly inclusive ie kids club, that are much more reasonably priced.

The staff are fantastic - they are highly energetic and seem to really love Club Med! They defintely were the highlight of my trip.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank XRDD2011
Northampton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 1, 2014

With the advise of our travel agent, my wife and I decided on Club Med Sandpiper Bay, and what a nice surprise it was. The room was very spacious, the food was excellent, staff very friendly and outgoing and enough activities to keep you busy. My wife and I utilized the transfers from the airport. It was nice being taxied to and from our destination. We took advantage of the golf and tennis lessons, along with the fitness classes. The food was excellent with a lot of healthy choices. Hint: one has to make reservations for the Riverside Grille. The lobster (upcharge) is good, but the service needs improvement. Sunday brunch is excellent, and they should offer it more times a week than just that day. Room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The calm pool (for adults only) was a great place to relax and catch some sun. The shows at night are entertaining and bar is a great place to chill out or dance. If you are coming to Club Med to get away from little children and babies, then this is not the place. If you have little children, then this is a great place for them. Even though we traveled without our teenagers, the family atmosphere did not bother us. The GM should be very proud of all the staff employed at Club Med. They make you feel welcomed and are very good at their positions.
Cons: Need better waiter service cleaning and setting up tables in restaurant: Riverside Grille service is slow (waiter never refilled water or drink glasses); a few times there were no towels at calm pool (if this happens - you will find them in a bin near steps behind bar); no free internet.
PS. Thursday we watched a trapeze show outside and it was chilly, the staff brought out blankets for the audience. This is a small example how Club Med cares about there guests.

Room Tip: We stayed in section D. It was near the calm pool with a view of the river.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank GoPhillies2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Saint Lucie
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port St. Lucie-Tradition
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port...
#1 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Courtyard Hutchinson Island Oceanside/Jensen Beach
Hilton Garden Inn at PGA Village / Port St. Lucie
Hilton Garden Inn at PGA Village...
#2 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Residence Inn Port St. Lucie
Residence Inn Port St. Lucie
#5 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Holiday Inn Port St. Lucie
Holiday Inn Port St. Lucie
#10 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port St. Lucie West
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#8 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie

Been to Club Med Sandpiper Bay? Share your experiences!