“Great bang for your buck!”

Club Med Sandpiper Bay
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Port Saint Lucie
“Great bang for your buck!”
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Lots of stuff to do, high end athletics, water activities, and of course all inclusive!

This is a family friendly resort with all the bells and whistles.

Rent a car and go to Hamilton Islands or Jensen Beach too!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (736)
  • Hebrew first
Miami, FL
Reviewed February 25, 2014

This was my first Club Med experience, I was invited as a family guest for a travel agents "meet and greet weekend" to check the place out. The only reason I give it an average rating is because of the quality of staff and the food. I will start with that, I didn't know before going there that the staff lived on the premises and did everything.... from the service in the resturants and bars to all the fun activities they have scheduled throughout the day for all age groups and the nightly shows. At times I really was wondering how they had so much energy throughout the days that seemed to be full of endless activities and shows and parties that ran late into the night. I also didn't know about the way the activities that you do every day allows you a chance to preform in one of the nightly shows. I tried the trapeze for my first time and I was extremely nervous, but the staff was so good at boosting my confidence I just wanted to get up there as much as I could and did until I exhausted myself. As for the food, I'm not a big foodie but the food for all inclusive was pretty good and there was such variety every night, and the food was a fantastic mix for all age groups!

Onto the negatives, I understand that weather related issues are beyond anyone's control, but living in Florida, it rains A LOT! The property recently went through an entire renovation and it needs a lot more work after seeing what happened after the rain we got the first day we were there. First and foremost, the property is on low lying land and I'm sure even pre-reno Club Med experienced these things as a problem, all of the walkways were flooded, by at least 3 inches, there was a variable 10 feet of covered walkway then 10 feet of no covered walkway so you'd get soaked, then so on and so forth, and the lights on the covered parts of the walkway had water leaking out of them. The main lobby was flooded we found out stopping there for cover on our way to dinner that first night, after walking the flooded and other walkways that got washed away from the rain to get there. We made reservations for 6 adults and 2 children at the recommended steak house on the property that first night, it was not the greatest experience. You could've hammered a nail with the bread, the floor was drenched and slippery, the fire alarm went off for almost 40 minutes (none of the employees made any kind of announcement as to why or what we should all do, run for cover or stay), the food was very small portions, cold, over or undercooked, and we were still hungry and went to the buffet after anyway to eat more. The buffet food was better. I have to say though, that some of the staff that night with all the rain, with huge pool umbrellas in hand, walked people between the buildings where it wasn't covered to keep them dry, and that was nice. Our room was big, unexpectedly large closet space, lots of outlets for charging things, but the toilets are very loud! You want to avoid flushing them if there's others sleeping in the room, you'll even wake up the neighbors!
The day we left, the rain cleared and it was beautiful. The property is really pretty and the staff is excellent. After all the rain stopped, the bulldozers and a ton of workmen with shovels were out repairing the washed out walkways and erosion immediately and whatever else was needed to be fixed from the rain damage, it just seemed like this will happen again and again until its properly fixed. It also was probably not the best weekend to have had so many travel agents there but like I said, you can't control weather related issues.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank hflint78
new york
Reviewed February 25, 2014

My husband and my 14 yr old daughter just returned from Club Med Sandpiper. We were previously there 8 years ago and 2 times prior to that. I had always wanted to return since I had some of my best vacation memories there, and once again I have returned after 10 days relaxed and filled with great fun memories. Club Med's whole premise of the GOs and GMs just sets all the guests up to be more social and friendly. You wind up creating friendships that last well after the vacation ends. The buffet food is high end and healthy with lots to choose from. A very special thanks to Nikos, I have never seen anyone work harder and yet always stop to greet me and my husband at every meal and check if we needed anything. There is also a sit down restaurant that we ate in 3 times. The food was excellent and there are great wines to choose from for an extra cost. Thank you to the lovely Anastasia who brought such elegance to our sit down meals.
The kids club is second to none. When our daughter was young from the moment I met the counselors they made me feel so comforted when they took my child. It is like your good friends daughter or son watching them. Though my daughter is a teenager, I watched every day the counselors for the kids club and want to make a special commendation to Ted, Lindsay and especially Russell, who is one of the happiest people around. Our daughter was in the teen club Latitudes . My daughter is very shy and I asked Ethan from the first day if he can bring my daughter out of her shell. Ethan is the pied piper of teenagers. My daughter was with him from the second day on, eating all her meals with him and the group. They are so lucky to have such a gifted GO like Ethan for the teens. And where Ethan is a big kid his partner Hunter is the responsible one who at any time at night I could ask him where my daughter was and he would know or he would run off looking for her. Thank you both so much! My daughter cried so much on the way home.
A very special thanks also to my incredibly friendly bar girls Meghan and Peggylicious. They were the first GOs we met and they truly made my vacation amazing! I miss you guys!
If you like to have fun, socialize and be active on your vacation this is a vacation for you and it is so close to home.

1 Thank sagbill
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2014

If you're single, find another place. If you're married without kids, find another place. If you're married with kids and you're some of those Martyr Parents who can't drop their kids off at Kids' Club, find another place. There are plenty of us who don't want to see or hear your children while we're having lunch. That's what the Kids' Club is for, USE IT!!! Your kids are not that damn special or interesting or fragile that they can't spend 7 hours out of your sight. Your raising adults, not children. Here's how this vacation works:

1 - Fly into West Palm Beach, rent a car
2 - Drive the hour to Club Med, park your rental car (handy for excursions, about the same cost as getting a transfer)
3 - Spend the rest of Day 1 chilling out with your kids at the beach or the pool (NOT THE ADULT POOL!!! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!)
4 - Day 2 - 8:00 am - Breakfast with your kids
9:00 am - Drop them off at Kids Club
9:01 am - 12:00 pm - Do whatever you want...
12:00 pm - Date lunch, wine included (there's an adults only section)
1:00 pm - 4:00 pm - Do whatever you want
4:00 pm - Kids' Bedtime - Family Time
Kids' Bedtime - Bedtime - Quiet time with each other

It's the "whatever you want" that makes this vacation a vacation. But the next time some Martyr Mom drags snot-nosed William screaming past where I'm relaxing, I'm going to call her a Martyr Mom and tell her to quit messing it up for the rest of us.

5 years in a row now, travelling from YYZ, costs about $6k/week flights and everything. Best deal going.

Room Tip: B126 is the best room for a family
4 Thank TG_cleversuffix
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Club Med Sandpiper Bay is a really safe bet if you have a family and like us, desire sport based vacation resorts with well organised child care, similar to Sunsail, Mark Warner. From the UK, its quite a commute, 10 hour flight and 2 hour transfer from Miami, but this was made bearable by Virgin..who are great.
Once there, the resort itself and weather was great. The rooms are quite basic, but that was no surprise, or disappointment as we weren't there for that. The sporting facilities are excellent, exceptional if you like Tennis and the staff can't do enough for you in that respect...Really motivating and supporting with great humour on all the activities. There is always plenty to do, starting at 07:00 if you want to get up and we didnt really feel the need to pay extra for personal coaching, just joining in the organised sessions was fine.
The guys that run the childcare are absolutely brilliant, but our 2 and 3 year old didn't get on with the club for under fours. If we went back, we wouldn't pay extra for the kids club because a) it was too upsetting for them and b) the younger kids don't get involved in the fun stuff. Odd in a way that we had to pay extra for them as the real fun was saved for the older kids. For the older kids, the staff, without exception, were completely crackers...but so good and fun that the kids had a blast. Our 9 year old was clock watching by the third day as she couldn't bear to be away from it for a minute.
The food is great and Nikos, adds nice touches like remembering your name and visiting your tables on occasion which was good. Plenty of choice and all of it good quality, even the free wine was v nice.

1 Thank Steve J
San Bruno, California
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We just returned yesterday from Sandpiper Bay. My children, 8 and 10 had the time of their lives! They attended kids club the first day and after that, drifted in and out, depending on the offerings. The children were 100 percent safe roaming between activities. I never worried about them except for one time when i could not find the little one-he had fallen asleep in a chair at the Slice Lounge!
The food was great-lots to choose from. We enjoyed the chocolate bread frequently, as well as all the delicious breads and pastries. There were many healthy choices at each meal-fresh fruits, salad bar, vegetarian offerings. lots for the kids-pizza, nuggets, hamburgers and hot dogs. I must admit to eating a couple of hamburgers myself-they were so good-and the french fries were the best we had ever eaten. The chefs and food workers were so accommodating-even making us sandwiches to take with us on the trip home!
The entertainment was great-the GOs performed with energy and enthusiasm every night after their regular jobs all day, and never looked bored or tired.
We spent most of our time relaxing but there were plenty of activities to keep everyone busy. We enjoyed the water sports at the beach, water fitness, trapeze, circus school, adult pool.
Special shout out to Artie, Alex, Teddy, David, Jerry, Andre, the girls at the bar (who gave drinks/smoothies/snacks) to the kids all day long.
The only thing that is not totally excellent are the rooms-While they are clean and comfortable, they are not fancy. But we were only in our rooms to shower and sleep so not a big deal at all!
there was even a washer and dryer in the building. I washed our clothes before we left, so did not come home to piles of laundry!

Room Tip: our room faced the river on the ground floor. it was quiet.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 20, 2014

The bar smelled like vomit the entire five days and there were screaming kids everywhere. When complaining about the horrible smell, the staff would not say a thing -- just give a bland smile and a blank stare. Parents let the young children run wild everywhere. Some of the restaurant staff seemed as if they'd rather shoot you than smile at you. Bright spots? Pools are gorgeous and we hit great weather. If you can GET a reservation at the nice restaurant, Jessica, the waitress is a delight. So is Nikos, the restaurant manager and the hostess whose name starts with G (can't remember ). Probably will not come back here. Opio in France is far superior.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Gigilynn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Saint Lucie
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port St. Lucie-Tradition
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port...
#1 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Hilton Garden Inn at PGA Village / Port St. Lucie
Hilton Garden Inn at PGA Village...
#2 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Residence Inn Port St. Lucie
Residence Inn Port St. Lucie
#5 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port St. Lucie West
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#8 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie

Been to Club Med Sandpiper Bay? Share your experiences!