“Great Family Vacation with Toddlers”

Club Med Sandpiper Bay
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Port Saint Lucie
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Family Vacation with Toddlers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

My family and I spent the week after Thanksgving at Sandpiper Bay. We took advantage of the Baby Club and Petit Club for the entire week. Our girls (1 and 3 yr olds) loved every minute of it. They were so active and had so much fun. They had a great time with Cassie Johnstone and Maddy Pogue and the rest of the staff at Baby Club. My husband and I had a great time as well - went to golf lessons, played tennis, paddleboarded, sailed and I did the trapeze. Best 10 seconds of my life. My only regret is not doing it everyday while I was there. We had so much fun getting to know all the G.Os (Lance, Hunter, Ted, Artie, Brian, Hannah, Zib, etc) and we will definitely be coming back to Sandpiper Bay - you have a great crew David Meyer! Also, the shows were so fun to watch and very well performed and the after parties were a big hit with my family.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with more than one child be sure to get the family deluxe room with a separate...
1 Thank Stacy R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (745)
  • Hebrew first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

This was our 3rd visit to Club Med Sandpiper Bay and we had a wonderful time! Our three young children had an amazing experience in the Kids Club. The Kids Club is incredible and it keeps getting better and better each year. We loved all of the staff there especially Ted, Dylan, Cheronique, Cassie, Sid, Paige, Russell, Cathy and Ousman. The evening activities for the kids and the shows were top notch. The food was abundant and very good. Kudos to the increased availability of fresh vegetables and fruit! I would love to see a baking class added so that I can learn how to make the amazing breads. The big area that needs improvement is the cleanliness of the rooms. In previous years, the rooms were very clean however, the
cleanliness and upkeep of the rooms and the general facility seemed to have dropped off this year which was a but disappointing. The resort was renovated a few years ago but it seems to be getting a bit of wear and tear and without constant upkeep and attention to detail around cleaning, it is starting to show. The fitness classes could use a bit of improvement as well. The new aerobics studio is beautiful but the instructors need to vary their classes and routines. The spa is great. We are still huge fans of Club Med and we are looking forward to many more trips with our family to this wonderful destination.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank West44
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

I only visited the Sandpiper to catch dinner with a friend and her daughter, but I saw enough to give a review. Good security,, The Lobby needs a complete renovation my own daughter remarked about the odor and décor. Rooms also look outdated but clean and spacious. There were people milling about lounging, dancing enjoying the evening. We were greeted by a GO James who appeared.genuinely interested in ensuring a good time was had by all.. We had drinks at "Slice" and enjoyed the atmosphere. Dinner was bountiful as I expected at a buffet. and things were tasty and imaginative. I would bring my daughter back to do the daytime activities..

1 Thank Mom2morgan10
San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

We enjoyed a week at Club Med Sandpiper Bay over Christmas. Here are the pros and cons:
The Pros: The facilities are nice - lovely location with a nice sand beach on the St. Lucie river, nice sports facilities, nice pools etc. The Mini Club staff are great, especially Chelsea and Casey but everyone got high marks. The food at the Marketplace (the buffet) is consistently very good, with lots of variety every day. The land sports crew (especially Andre) were great and they did a good job of overseeing fun family sports in the afternoons.
The Cons: The rooms are a bit dingy, with tiny bathrooms with no window or ventilation. When we called, we were told that the entire resort had been recently renovated, but I seriously doubt our room has been renovated. Not sure what was up with that. Also, since it was holiday time, the resort was pretty much at capacity. What this means is that many of the things they assure you that you will be able to enjoy (the River Grille restaurant, spinning classes, etc.) will be totally full and you will not be able to try them. There are some communication issues between the phone reservation service, the front desk staff, and the staff running the facilities. The front desk staff and the phone staff told us that we couldn't make reservations for the restaurant or the exercise classes in advance. When we tried to go, though, we learned that both the classes and the restaurant were booked full for the entire stay. I understand that at busy seasons it may be hard for them to accommodate everyone, but they should make that clear before you book. Also, it was very unpleasant to be told by the front desk staff that the spinning classes were first-come first-serve, to go early to grab a bike, and then to have the instructor make me leave because I wasn't on her list of reservations. These things should not happen.
So, top marks for mini club, food, and sports facilities. Need better communication about what's available and how to book it.

Room Tip: We had a family room (bedroom with a partition between queen bed and kids' bunk beds).
3 Thank BaileySF
Celebration, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

We just revisited the Club Med experience at Sandpiper after 15years -Wow ,what an experience of fine cuisine , adventure and FUN -The water front staff of JAMES, COLE, Travis and the San Diego guy were just AWESOME-- The CHIEF of the Village was a hands on high profile host -The bartenders ( Jordan and the tall guy with the pony tail ) were tremendous-My family of Six enjoyed all the trapeze staff -Our two young boys enjoyed the kids club staff leaders -Great dancing and Shows!!!! We can't wait to book again for the spring - FIREMAN JOE, Chicago

Room Tip: With children. Buildings A and B. Couples C near adult pool and private BAR. Bummer that is cl...
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

Got to club med by 9-9:30pm to my surprise the dining room was closing and we had to run to get what was not cleaned up. Found out there is no room service, so the kitchen is CLOSED. So my first night was disappointing. We then headed over to the night club finding out the top shelf liquor is $5 in this all-inclusive resort. So i stuck with the alcohol included in the package and it was quite disappointing. To me everything was either bitter or sour, including miller lite draft. The DJ was horrific unless you like rave music, so calling it a night the room was nicer than i expected. Bed was very comfortable, good water pressure in shower and toilet (very important). The next day very eager to hit the buffet I enjoyed the omelet made to order and selection of beverage, fruits, and pasteries. we then enjoyed the amenities of paddle boarding and the quick lesson on sailing, Lunch was the best meal with the outside BBQ. service was great. then toured the property to see how much amenities were available for kids. The kids enjoyed trapeze, golf, yoga, pilates. and there was so much more they didnt do. In the mean time i still cannot get a buzz. By that night we had our group celebration again the Dj did not take nicely to friendly request, she has to play a list she says, so again rave music. So staying outside our night ended early again. Left the next morning after breakfast. So bottomline love the amenities for the kids, not for adults.

Room Tip: Rooms were selected by travel agent. but the ones close to beach/lake front were the best location t...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank slingting
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

we booked this holiday so we can all enjoy our time. Club med is probably one of the very few hotels that offers creche facilities. And yes, they do have a proper creche, and we've been fairly happy although you should not expect too much, however people do try their best. Our son didn't like it from the beginning, but it was more about being left there. It is also true that we never seen him in any of the creche organised activities probably because they were finished by the time we came to pick up. Overall, a safe place to leave him, people looked nice enough, but it didn't give me the impression that activities were engaging and made him happy.

then we also booked this place for the tennis facilities, and tried playing tennis everyday, but you we surely notice rather soon that the club tennis player have priority and the guests of the hotel take whatever's left. as a result of we were often left with no choice but to play on the clay courts which were obviously not the best.

the greatest thing about Sandpiper are the pools and the variety they come in, you can chose and pick where you want to spend your day. However as with many other things, you really feel let down when all that they serve is lemonade and coke that tastes bad and smell like cleaning products. same applies to the drinks in the restaurants and bars, all from the machine. i didn't quite see the point in placing a tray with fresh oranges next to the juice machine when all that you serve is juice from powder.

and the it comes the food, horrid! firstly the main restaurant would do with some refurbishment but the main annoying thing is that they have a better area that's always closed to the hotel guests, from what i've seen is used for corporate events only. and then for some reason when they have groups they also reserve half of the restaurant so you're forced to sit in the noisy area with other families with children or next to their tennis students who also eat in the same main restaurant at the same time. Yes, we did have our child with us but he is quiet and we don't like dinning with noise and screaming around. The food is bad, heavy sauces, meals mostly fried, but you can pick few things to have a healthy meal, is just that you will end up with the same combination every night. The worst thing is the baby menu, which is i thought it was outrageous. hod dog and fries and some bad looking mash every single night of our staying. for a place where every guest had a child i just thing it was very poor. and then there was this girl, with some distinctive piercing, not only unhelpful but rude, and she's been quite consistent. i don't think her place is there at all.

the room, overall is in bad need of renovation, everything is old, and the bathroom is worst of all. our room had an old fridge, must have been there for the past 40 years, my grandma would have a newer one these days. it leaked and it was plugged, i don't know what for because it has been empty since we arrived which we found it strange for an all inclusive hotel.

overall, a place with potential but it was a long way from our expectations. i would not recommended it

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Oheff
ClubMedUK_official, Public Relations Manager at Club Med Sandpiper Bay, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
First and foremost I would like to thank you for your time spent putting your comments on Trip Advisor as it is only with constructive criticisms such as these that we can improve the standards and quality of service offered by Club Med.

I was sorry to hear of your disappointment with regards to certain aspects of your holiday at Club Med Sandpiper Bay in October.

I regrettably noted that you found the Baby Club to not have been of a standard of which you expected and that you felt the activities on offer to the children were not engaging enough. Kindly note that as a matter of policy, all the GOs in charge of childcare within our resorts have extensive experience within this area and are extremely motivated to work with children. The supervisors and some of the GOs are NNEB qualified or equivalent. However, the adaptation of children to a collective childcare environment abroad is sometimes difficult and may take a few days for the children to feel comfortable within this new environment.

I was sorry to read that you found the Tennis facilities to be occupied by the Club Tennis Players rather than resort guests and this then meant that you had to use the clay courts which you found to be below standard. I have ensured that these issues have been raised with the relevant departments at our Sandpiper Bay resort to ensure that improvements can be made to these facilities in any way.

It was regrettable to read that you found the food and drink provided at the above resort to be of a poor quality and that the drinks, such as coke and lemonade tasted somewhat bad and the food on offer was unhealthy and somewhat heavy. Kindly note that our kitchen staff do their utmost to ensure that high quality, fresh and local produce is used in their food preparation. Notwithstanding this, I have passed these comments over to the restaurant manager at the above resort in order for improvements to be made wherever necessary.

On a similar note, it saddened me to read that you felt the restaurant and the rooms to be in need of a refurbishment. Please kindly note that the resort is in full operation throughout the year and it is very often at full occupancy levels. Regrettably, this makes it difficult for the resort staff to carry out full refurbishment works around guest rooms when guests are in the resort as the rooms are in constant use and this will cause disturbance to our guests, only minor and essential works will be done. Nevertheless, I have taken your comments on board and have addressed them with the relevant departments for their kind perusal.

I regrettably read that you found one staff member in particular to be unhelpful and even somewhat rude. I can assure you that Club Med does certainly not condone such behaviour from members of staff and that this kind of attitude is just the antithesis of what Club Med staff should personify i.e. kindness, generosity and sense of service. On the behalf of Cub Med, I would like to offer you my sincerest apologies for all the inconvenience caused to you on this occasion.

On the behalf of Cub Med, please accept my sincerest apologies for all the inconvenience caused to you on this occasion.

Please do not hesitate to get into contact with us via our Customer Relations Office (UK) using our e-mail address customer.uk@clubmed.com if you require any further assistance or information.

Assuring you of our best intentions at all times,

Club Med Customer Relations UK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Saint Lucie
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port St. Lucie-Tradition
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port...
#1 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Hilton Garden Inn at PGA Village / Port St. Lucie
Hilton Garden Inn at PGA Village...
#2 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
BEST WESTERN Port St. Lucie
BEST WESTERN Port St. Lucie
#6 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port St. Lucie West
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#8 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie

Been to Club Med Sandpiper Bay? Share your experiences!