“Better than expected, much better.”

Club Med Sandpiper Bay
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Port Saint Lucie
Reviewed December 2, 2013

On first blush, the rooms were not as fancy as I expected, which gets you off to a slow start. But if you have kids under the age of 13, this place is IDEAL. The food was far better than expected, fresh, tasty, and always available - far better than what's given to you on a Royal Caribbean cruise. Beer, wine and drinks were always available and plentiful. The staff was young, caring, courteous and fun. The shows, while nothing fancy, were great fun and different every night. The kid camps were great and the counselors were outstanding. Golf course was OK, tennis outstanding. Hobie Cats and paddle boards everywhere. Great time.

1  Thank Andrew M
Write a ReviewReviews (4,360)

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Just got back from Club Med Sandpiper with my whole family of 15. Our family ranges in ages from 2 to 70 and there was plenty for all of us to do. The resort does a great job of keeping the kids occupied with hourly events ranging from flag football to tie dye shirt making. We weren't sure if the river was going to be open but were pleasantly surprised to find it open and all the activities associated with it in full swing including the paddle boards and sailboats. The waterfront director James was typically there with a smile and some encouragement for the kids to learn something new.

My daughter who is usually not one to try new things actually climbed up to the trapeze platform learned to do a trick and got a small medal for completing an advanced trick. She also tackled the paddle board after some coaxing . My young nephews (2-6 years old) were also kept very busy taking part in the various kids events.

The facilities are a bit dated and could certainly use some renovations including the main bar called Slice. The couches and seating are pretty beat up and some would not make the cut at my old fraternity house but the staff more than makes up for this shortcoming. Specifically, Cyndi, one of the supervisors at the restaurant was very helpful putting together some lunches for us to take offsite. Jeff E. one of the lifeguard GO's who seemed to be everywhere was great with the kids by the pool and even ended up helping out with a late night poker tournament. Brian and the staff at the trapeze did an amazing job with my daughter who can always use the ego boost and even got my butt on the trapeze.

The food is really outstanding and if you can't find something you like to eat than you didn't spend enough time looking around. Whether you are a vegetarian, pescatarian or other they have something for everyone.

Some of the less desirable aspects included checking in where there was only one guy with a golf cart to help all of us get all sorted out with our luggage. The shows are geared toward kids but don't start before 8:30 which was too late for the little ones. A couple of the shows featuring some of the GO's were a bit strange but offered something different to the trip. Most of the shows involved extensive dancing but would have been nice to get some variety (comedian, variety show, magician) If you plan on leaving Club Med for any reason expect to pay a fortune in cab fare. We took a trip to Stuart to go deep sea fishing and the 20 minute trip there and back cost $85. A rental car would have cost a lot less. In addition, the closest airport is nearly 1 hour away which eat into quite a bit of our vacation because we had to leave 3 hours before our flight in order to make it to the airport on time.

Overall it was a great trip and the staff could not have been better. I have no idea how they are able to work 6 days a week for 16 hours a day but they really seem to enjoy their work and it shows. If you are a golfer or an avid tennis player you will like it even more.

Room Tip: We stayed in the F building closest to the marina which is the farthest from the action but everythi...
1  Thank Max-Mike R
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Just came back from a wonderful Thanksgiving week-All water sports were available and
the rooms ,food and staff exceeded our expectations.
Jeff (life guard ,James from waterfront ,Andrade from sports, Chris from waterfront and
Niccos from the restaurant ALL were excellent and made us feel welcomed from
the first day to the last.
This is a great family oriented facility and a very good value for the price.

Al, Myrna and family

Room Tip: Buildings E and F closest to children's activities and easy access to restaurant.
2  Thank Alan R
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Reading many reviews of this place, we had some concerns. The vacation exceeded out expectations.

Rooms are large (we were in building C with a bay view) great view (costs a bit more) the rooms are clean but the decor very basic. In Club Med you only sleep in the rooms so no worries there.

Food and Alcohol was great. High Quality buffet, different food for lunch and dinner every day. There is also a coffee shop style restaurant if you want a sandwich between meals.

The GO's (staff) were great from the checkin through the entire vacation

The bar was very nice and we unwound there every night (some joined the party but you can also sit outside)

Premium Alcohol is not expensive.

The highlights are the activities. All day sport programs. Great Tennis my wife and friends did, the beach and water sports were open - we had days with 21 mph winds such were great for sailing. I spent hours a day with my 16 year old son sailing the hobbie cats (no experience needed) plenty of stand up paddle boarding

Gym, Yoga, Pilates ... All great

The circus trapeze was great. Our kids (18 and 16 and 12) loved it

Adult pool and Jaccuzi with drinks was also a highlight

I have it 4 stars only because the rooms are a bit basic and all the food is buffet (gets a little boring)

If u come with an open mind, not expecting a ritz and ready for sports and fun with no hassle, great place

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Yaron1000
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Pros-
- very relaxing and laid back
- so many activities (golf, tennis, and fitness classes plus trapeze)
- lots of great food and drink options
- family rooms are very functional
- friendly, accommodating staff
- great for kids, especially under 10
- golf and tennis academies for serious junior players
- beautiful grounds/pool areas

Cons
- lake had sewage smell (would not swim in it)
- slice bar smelled like a frat house "the day after"
- always understaffed at Soleil restaurant - so if you miss the buffet times, getting food is a challenge (but food at buffet is better, so better to time things to eat there)
- our AC unit sounded like a freight train

Overall, a nice place to unwind - highly recommended for a family vacation if your family is into tennis or golf.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank MD_Girl_in_TX
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

We returned a few days ago from an extended weekend stay at Club Med Sandpiper Bay. It was our second visit this year and I imagine we will go back again soon.
First off, I must commend the amazing circus staff. Billy runs a fantastic program that had my kids enthused about the circus arts the entire time we were there. They were involved in the kids' circus show and chose to rehearse over going to the pool or participating in any of the other activities. Brian is nothing short of amazing! He taught me new tricks on the trapeze, pushed my kids to do crazy circus acts, and even got my 4-year-old to swing on the trapeze. Hannah is a rock star. She worked so hard to keep everyone safe. Ben performed with my daughter and is insanely strong and talented. Jacob, Kimmie, Ellison, Osmann, Christian (I know I'm forgetting someone and I apologize): my kids and I will never forget how you all went above and beyond to make our vacation so memorable! My kids can't stop talking about their experience. I can honestly say it was life-changing!
The food at the resort is excellent! We all ate so well that if we had been there any longer, we would have rolled home. Even the kids found good, healthy choices for every meal. Be sure to try the chocolate bread. It is delicious!
Now, onto the less than perfect part of the resort: the rooms. I know they were recently renovated but Club Med should fire their contractor! The bathtub was chipped, our sink leaked, the shower was moldy and the pressure felt like a rain of bullets, the bed was hard with a torn mattress pad, and the screen door was ripped and wouldn't slide. It's a shame because, if the weather hadn't been so beautiful and we had been stuck in the room, our vacation would have been so much worse. I think Club Med needs to consider another renovation!
In all, it was a fantastic escape from our day-to-day lives. I cannot say enough about the staff. They are the reason we will most certainly go back. I would see them at breakfast at 7 AM and they would still be working late into the night. Thank you all for creating such an amazing experience!

Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank MassTA
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I found there to be nothing outstanding about this resort. Nothing was terrible, but nothing was great. The food was good. We ate at both restaurants. Our first meal was at Soleil for lunch I ordered a Salad and a Sandwich and my salad never arrived. So, our first impression was not great. Meals at The Marketplace were good. Not outstanding, but good. The Adults only dining room was lovely, and getting a whole bottle of wine was nice - though the red wine was COLD since it was in a refrigerator. We went to the fitness center and one of the two treadmills was out of service. We went to the adults only pool and that was nice. The weather wasn't great, but we still managed to sit by the pool. Our room was again, just fine. OH - the smell in Slice Bar was terrible. I could not even be in there for any more time than it took to order a drink. All in all, I really cannot see myself returning to this resort with my family or for a "girls only" weekend.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple