“Great overall”

Club Med Sandpiper Bay
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Port Saint Lucie
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was an awesome trip for my family. We enjoyed the shows, the food, and especially the activities. My kids and myself loved the bar with so many great drinks to choose from, even delicious smoothies for the kids.
Special thanks to Tina and Richard for motivating and educating us on a healthy and fun life style, you guys are great.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,414)

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I visited Sandpiper Bay with my wife and 2 kids in early July, 2013. I was really looking forward to the trip because I have had good experiences at Club Med in the past. This location gave us the ability to travel with our kids but also get a little time to ourselves while our kids enjoyed the kids club. Unfortunately, this resort has a major cockroach problem (the big Palmetto bugs; 3+ inches long). We arrived late the first night to find cockroaches in our room under our bed. We called the front desk and they sent someone from housekeeping to clean up the cockroach I killed and spray the room (she showed up with can of RAID and sprayed it under our bed, yuck!) They told us they would be by in the morning to clean thoroughly and then spray the whole room. My wife didn't sleep much that night. I figured we would have the cleanest room in the whole resort after that. The next night, my wife checked on our kids about 2am. When she went into the room, she saw a cockroach crawling ON OUR SON!!! That was the last straw. We were all up most of the rest of the night. We went to the office the next morning, met with the manager and told her we wanted to check out and get our money back. When we went back to our room to pack, there were more cockroaches in the room (not usually roaming around during the day). They refused to give us our money back and said insects were "normal" for resorts in tropical climates. I have been going to resorts in Florida and the Caribbean including Club Med for over 30 years. And, yes, insects are normal -outside!!! Not in the guest rooms and not bugs so big they need the door opened to let them in. If you like "normal" cockroaches in your room, then Sandpiper Bay is for you. If, like us, you think cockroaches in your room are unacceptable, unclean and even unsafe (if they are in our room, are they in the kitchen, too?), then stay away. We moved to another resort and had no cockroach problem so apparently they are only "normal" at Club Med.

21  Thank David_C60763
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We visited for a family reunion with a group of 29, about half adults and half kids. We had a great time, but there were a few kinks. Our main complaint was room assignments - we made the reservations almost a year in advance, but then we got there to find they'd spread our group across multiple buildings. You'd think they could have blocked out our request when we made it? We eventually got into the same building, but different floors and my husband and I not in a connecting room to our kids. I was also not impressed that an all-inclusive resort charges extra for Wi-Fi.

That said, once we got rooms sorted out we did have a great time. The Kids' Club was great; they did a lot of fun activities with them, and my husband and I enjoyed having time to ourselves each day. The older kids could come and go, and the resort felt small and safe enough that we didn't have any concerns with them doing so. Everyone in the family enjoyed the trapeze, from the 4 year old through the 68 year old. I do wish the adult time were a little longer/more varied, since 2 hours each afternoon didn't quite seem enough (especially since 3-5 is at the height of the thunderstorm hours).

The food was varied and great; it was nice not to have to worry about cooking or what was on the menu. All of the staff were very friendly, and overall we enjoyed the experience.

1  Thank SnowyShasta
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay either with or without kids. Every thing is included so you really relax. It has all the great activity and enviroment that Club Med provides. Staff is outstanding and rooms are spacious and clean. Gotta love this place.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank nanda05
Reviewed July 20, 2013

we stayed 4 nights with a water view room which was very nice but the resort had very limited water activities that were included, also the beach was not real nie, being a few miles from the ocean the water was muddy, and it was a man made beach.
food was great, drinks were great guy was not vry well equiped, no sana or steam room and as for general activities I would rate it a 2 out of 5 with 5 being the highest rating. It is a good family resort if you have kids.
I would not go back again.
And oh yes they charge a VERY high price to use the wireless internet (this is unheard of ow a days).

Room Tip: get a room with a water view
2  Thank DNC Y
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I spent a week at Club Med. This is our fourth Club Med resort and the least impressive one. I would advise to go to any other resort of Club Med; I bet you will have a much better experience. This is promoted as the only family resort in the USA, but I would fly to Mexico, the Caribbean close to the USA and you will find wonderful family resorts by Club Med with better food and amenities.
Despite the rain and thunderstorms during this season there were no umbrellas available. Once we asked, we were told that the visitors used to steal them therefore the management decided to remove them. It is very interesting since they were available in other resorts in Mexico and there were a lot of them all around the village. Due to lack of umbrellas, we were kept hostage in the room or at the bar during our stay and had to miss classes etc.
Also, there was any nurse/ PA/Dr or a medical center at the village. My husband injured/twisted his finger in the morning and in the afternoon it was purple. Once we asked the reception for location of the infirmary/ nurse, she pulled out a first aid kit the size of a laptop and tried to give us pain killers. This is a Club Med with a full fitness program, tennis school and golf courses. I bet there are a lot of injuries occurring during all the classes and it is very interesting not to have staff on site. We were given a list of clinics close by, and advised to call a cab to get there. (We always take the peace of mind insurance but now I figure it does not cover any of this)
The service is great as usual from the staff. The GOs are always the best part of the Club Med experience. I was part of the fitness classes and had a blast with Richard and Tina. They were not only professional and competent at their job but also a lot of fun. The shows at not were impressive but I felt like I was on a cruise ship just watching a lot of dancing but not a lot of interaction with the crowd.
The food was average and not very impressive. Other than few fancy dishes, foie gras, paella, beef wellington, duck confit, there was not anything impressive. American night, you would expect food from different part of the USA, but it was the same old menu from previous days. You are in Florida, may be you would expect some Latin, Cuban food, Cajun or Creole food, nope… I guess the American cuisine is only burgers, hotdogs and bbq for this chef. Yes, there is a lot of variety: Asian corner, Italian corner, burgers and fries corner and pizza for lunch. However, it was a y sad scene for quality. Once you stepped out of the restaurant, the smell of the grill was all over your clothes for the rest of the day. Everyone talks about the white chocolate bread, yes it tastes great. But, I had a break out on my skin the day after I ate it. I guess it is not the best quality chocolate.
The room was standard for Club Med with the view of the parking lot but big with double sinks and walk-in closet and two pull out couches.
In short, our stay was fine. But, I would recommend any other resort in Mexico Ixtapa, Cancun where you can actually swim in the ocean and have wonderful food and still have the best experience with the GOs for the family.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bb c
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Club Med Sandpiper makes it possible for parents to be able to "date" everyday while their kids are safe at play :) This was our first time at a Club Med. We have always taken "family" vacations each summer, where we focused on family time. This vacation is not like that, but is amazing in other ways. Our kids are 11, 6, and 3. Our older two LOVED their "clubs" and had so much fun everyday!!! Our 11 year old was in tears all night knowing we had to leave the next day. She said that she made incredible friendships, and was going to miss her new friends soooo much!!! They exchanged numbers and emails tho, and she realizes that they can still be friends even if they're from all over the world. There are people vacationing here from all over... the USA, Canada, China, England, etc, and yes France lol. We really enjoyed the European feeling this resort has. Even though we knew we were in Florida, we felt like we were on an island in Greece some days, France others, Spain, etc... There are themes each day to keep everyday exciting. The pools are beautiful. The food is delicious and abundant! The staff is amazing!!! Jessie, Christopher, and Lance were exceptional with our 3 girls!!! Thank you guys soooo much for taking such great care of our girls, and making them each feel so special!!! Our youngest turned "3 years old" the day we left, and Jessie and another one of her Petite Club GO's arranged to surprise our daughter with birthday cheers, balloons and breakfast for all of us in our hotel room!!! The nightly shows were great, especially the show which featured the guests' kids. This show was a fantastic surprise! Our two older girls each had parts, as well as what seemed like at least 80 other kid guests! We still can't believe the GO's choreographed such a magnificent show on stage with all the kids in just ONE short day!!! Thank you all so very much for everything!!! We are definitely going to save our money to take 2 vacations next summer... Because while it's amazing to have a family bonding vacation... It's also just as amazing to have a "couple vacation" while having the opportunity to watch your children have an amazing vacation that caters to each child individually and let's them "grow on their own"! :)

• Stayed: July 2013
5  Thank Lisa-and-Dewey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Saint Lucie
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port St. Lucie-Tradition
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port...
#1 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
#5 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Vistana Beach Club
Vistana Beach Club
#1 of 1 in Hutchinson Island

Been to Club Med Sandpiper Bay? Share your experiences!