“First Club Med Experience - Very Pleasant Staff, Accommodations Lacking” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Club Med Sandpiper Bay

Club Med Sandpiper Bay
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Port Saint Lucie
San Diego, California
“First Club Med Experience - Very Pleasant Staff, Accommodations Lacking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

I spent four days last week at the Club Med Sandpiper resort for a business function. I had no prior experience with the Club Med way of travel, so for me this was a new experience. I had been to plenty of all-inclusive resorts, mostly in Mexico for reference. I can tell you that the food was certainly better here than at ANY of the all-inclusives i've been to in the past. The rooms were kind of a mishmash of new and old and not what one would consider luxury by any stretch, but they were large. The king size bed was two twins pushed together, so coming from a kind-size bed and being single, it was rather uncomfortable. The rooms were clean and the cleaning staff very cordial, especially considering the light mess that would become of my room from after-hours socializing.

The best part of the trip surely was the staff. I'm not sure to what metrics these resorts are managed, but I can tell you that this was one of the most engaged staffs, end to end, that I have ever seen; from bar/restaurant service to the personal attentiveness of all of your concierge and reception staff, especially Tracie - what a peach! She really went out of her way to be welcoming and she is wonderful at what she does.

The bar does need a VERY deep cleaning, including the beer tap lines. It's hard to keep a bar like that clean (I know from experience), but it reflect negatively when the beer tastes off and when the bar smells like, well, a dirty bar. A little more attention to detail here would be great. Also, the DJs were horrendous - there has to be better in the area. Some outside patio heaters would have been a nice touch outside of the bar as well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Rob W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (726)
  • Hebrew first
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

I'll try and cover everything about our Club Med experience, but I should start by saying that we had moderate expectations and our experience was outstanding. If you have children and/or love sports and outdoor activities, this is a really awesome spot.

As for a point by point review:

We found out about Sandpiper using the Club Med site. The site is fairly informative and easy to use. The one problem with the site is that we were under the idea that there were more than 2 dining options, but that didn't really end up being a big deal. Its just something that was unclear to us.

We made our reservation through the Club Med 800 number. Our agent was intelligent and informed about the options available to us. He handled all of our questions and gave us many options. The only complaint we have is that in booking our airline tickets through the Club Med agent, we were unable to get actual seat reservations and had to work directly through the airline to get our seating. On the flight down, we had to sit 2 and 1, but on the way back we were able to get all 3 of us together. (So a mild inconvenience and one that could become a bit of a problem if you are traveling with small kids and have to be split up more than we were on the flight down.)

Our transfers to and from the airport were pretty seamless. On arrival, our driver was waiting in the baggage claim area with a sign, waiting for us. The trip to Sandpiper was about an hour. There really wasn't a ton of traffic and the ride was nice.

On the way back the ride was about 50-60 minutes and, again, we didn't encounter any traffic.

On to the resort and our experience:

We were a little early for check in, but the staff was able to get us into our room early.

The room was good. I should say that the layout of the room was great for a family as there is a separate room with a bunk bed and/or crib for the kids that has a curtain to close it off from the rest of the room.

The parents' bed is a king size bed. We also had a balcony with a view of the river, which was awesome at sunset.

The room was equipped with a large closet, a storage space, shelves, and a mini fridge. The bathroom was adequate, but not overwhelming.

Food, drink, etc...:

As stated above, you have two dining options: The Marketplace and Soliel. Soliel serves from 11-11, but is closed for service during the times that The Marketplace is open. You also have one bar, Slice.

So you can really get food from 6 in the morning until 11 at night. You can drink until 1AM.

The food at Soliel was decent. We ate two meals there, one lunch and one breakfast. The breakfast was better than the lunch. The chicken salad sandwich was good and the salmon sandwich should probably be avoided. The real winner at Soliel were the fries!

Marketplace had a wide selection of foods: apps, entrees, sides, and deserts.

As you will see throughout many reviews, the white chocolate bread is unbelievably good. Its maybe the best thing that you can get in either restaurant. Another highlight was the cookies at lunch, which aren't served at dinner...be warned.

The food, on the whole, was pretty good. If you are looking for 5 star food, its not quite that level, but the food is pretty good. You have options no matter what your dietary restrictions or preferences. You will find a wide range of options: grilled chicken, grilled steak, fish, pasta, grains, salads, etc...its a really full range of options.

On the drinks side of the register, I have no complaints. I talked to one of the staff and they are going to be upgrading the well beverages in the next few months, which will be great, but I have no problem with the drinks. The house wines flow. There are 1-2 reds, whites, and roses. You have one sparkling wine option in the bar. You have a full compliment of Coke products. Tons of juices and coffees.

My only complaint on the beverages is that the draft beers offered were Bud, Bud Select and Amber Bock. Amber Bock is really, quite possibly, the worst beer in the world. The draft beer could be upgraded. Also, we didn't really know if they had any kind of premium beer option.

The bar staff was really cool...over the course of the week, my family really enjoyed talking and spending time with Jenny, Tim and several other members of the bar staff.

Sports, pools, and other outdoor activities:

There are 5 pools. 2 are only for the kids. 2 are open to kids and adults. 1 is adults only. The kids pools are fun for the kids. There is a lap pool that is heated and is cool, but be warned that the kids in the kids club do go in there to splash around. So it can get a little loud. The main pool is not heated and it was cold while we were there, so I didn't really spend any time there.

The tranquil pool is 18 and over. Its heated and there is waitress service most of the time.

On the river you can paddle board, wind board, and sail. The St Lucie river is kind of dirty. The staff has set out markers so that you don't go too far out into the river and overall its a nice experience. Having paddleboarded on the ocean before, I enjoyed paddleboarding on the river quite a bit. And, the person in charge, Patrick, was willing to get into the water to show anyone how to use the boards.

There is a gym with bikes, treadmills, weights and other stuff. Its a nice gym and it is open until midnight.

On the grounds you have access to golf, basketball, tennis and circus trapezes. I used the golf course to run on. That's really all I did.

On to the kids' club...:

We have a 2 year old. He loved the kids' club and we did too. The kids club is open from 845-5 every day but Wednesday. The kids are separated into groups according to age and each day at 415 they have a special activity for the kids.

I can't begin to name all of the really great people that played with our son, but a few of the names are Rona, Joe, Gina, Shameka, and Cynthia. But everyone was awesome and I am forgetting names because they were all really nice to our son.

You should also be aware that there is a 715 dance party in Slice for the kids and there is a Pajama Club so that the parents can have dinner and hang out together at night.

Overall, I would give Club Med Sandpiper Bay a very strong 4-4.5 stars. Lionel and his staff are awesome. Lionel is really available and out in front as the face of the resort. I'd really encourage families to consider this resort if you are looking for something fun to do with your family. We heard several families say that this compared very favorably to many of the family friendly cruises.

Room Tip: We stayed in room A210. The rooms in the A building that look out over the river are phenomenal. Y...
1 Thank dave_wakeman
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and 2 boys (ages 8 and 11), just returned from an amazing week long trip to Club Med Sandpiper Bay. I was so sad to leave. The weather was beautiful and the trip couldn't have been more fun for all of us. All of the GO's were great with the kids. Also, Nick, and the rest of the circus team were excellent instructors and really took the time with each child. My older son was able to perform in the trapeze show one night and was so proud of his accomplishment! I loved Marisa, the Pilates instructor. She made the class so much fun! Thanks again everyone for helping to make our vacation so wonderful!

1 Thank fris27
Long Island. NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

As the only true all inclusive in the United States, Club Med Sandpiper has a lot going for it but if you are an all inclusive junky, you will find a world of difference between this resort and most all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean.

Club Med Sandpiper is located on the St. Lucie River in Port St. Lucie, Florida. It is not on the beach and should not be considered a beach resort. There is some sand but the "beach" is actually a lake. There are water sports - paddleboards and Hobie Cats are included. Wave runners and motor boats are available at extra cost. There are three pools - one adult only at the far side of the resort, one a zero entry pool for families and a kiddie pool with small water park.

Rooms are a good size for families but do not expect luxuries you would find in other resorts. You'll find them large but basic. Family rooms have a king sized bed with two sofa beds on either side of the room and a large round cocktail table in the center. There was a work desk as well. The king bed was very comfortable but unfortunately in most rooms the air conditioning vent is directly over one side of the bed and whoever sleeps on that side on the bed is going to be very cold. The pillows are also the smallest pillows I've ever seen. There are also suites available that feature bunk beds in a separate room.

The bathroom consists of two areas, one a vanity outside of the actual room with a sink and then the actual bathroom with another vanity and sink, toilet and shower and tub. The bathrooms have been refurbished but not all areas were well though out. The vanity outside the room has a makeup mirror and a chair to sit on to do your makeup. However, if you sit on the chair, you cannot get your legs under the vanity because there is an apron that hangs under it. The makeup mirror doesn't have a long enough arm to put your makeup on and the lighting is terrible.

There is a huge walk in closet with dressing area. This was a nice touch for family privacy. There is also a coffee pot and refrigerator with two bottles of water. We could tell the bathrooms were refurbished the refrigerators were not and they showed their age. The rooms were very clean, but in my room I noticed there there were dark spots on the terracotta floor. It appeared to be dirt spots that were sealed into the tile.

There are two restaurants on property, one called The Marketplace which is a buffet and Soleil, which offers salads, sandwiches and appetizers. One issue with the restaurants is that they are not open all day. The Marketplace is open for two hours in the morning, two hours for lunch and four hours for dinner. Soleil is open from 9:30 am to 10 pm but the menu offerings are very limited. Hours for breakfast at the Marketplace were 7 am to 10 am. Lunch was noon to 2 pm, dinner from 6-9 pm. For foodies who like food available at all times, be aware of the hours the restaurants are open.

The Marketplace food tasted very good but we felt that we were eating the same food every day, there was not much variation. Another issue we found is the set up of the buffet is awkward. The lettuce for salads are in one place and the toppings such as carrots, mushrooms, dressing are in another area. Hamburgers and hot dogs are near a grill but the rolls are in the corner of the bread area far across the room.

There were stations that prepared specialty dishes, such as oriental or French food but the chefs didn't keep up with cooking and very often the dishes were empty. One night there was a huge line for desserts, as there was one chef slicing pies and cakes as people were on line.

One thing not to pass up is Club Med's chocolate bread. They had a light version and dark version that were out of this world. Take a few slices at breakfast and ask the chef to make French Toast with it. It is a treat you won't forget.

There is some jarred baby food available and each day a different vegetable is pureed as gourmet baby food. For instance, one day it was broccoli and leeks. I saw plenty of adults eating the daily special!

In our opinion for the price of the resort, there should be a regular restaurant on site that serves more than sandwiches and salad and something should be available nearly 24 hours. Many people we spoke to agreed.

There is one bar on site. It is an indoor bar and is open all day and into the night. Brace yourself because children are permitted in this area, so it is not unusual to see children dancing there. The kids and parents were having a great time and this is resort made for families. Some top shelf liquor is available but I did hear a few gripes about Jack Daniels not being available as well as some beers.

If you are a golf or tennis junkie, this resort is for you. Both are available on site. There is also a kids tennis court, with small nets and appropriate rackets. And there is golf for kids.

Service throughout the resort was acceptable in most areas but not exemplary. We arrived with a group and were directed to park our car on the side of the driveway for the check in process. We were quickly greeted and checked in, then directed to park our car in the parking lot and bring luggage to the check in area to be taken to our room by a porter.

I parked the car as directed, dragged my luggage to where the porters were supposed to be to find no one there. After waiting several minutes I saw a female employee pushing a luggage cart with suitcases on it. I showed her my room key and asked her how to get to my room. Instead of asking if she could help, she pointed to the direction if my room and walked away, leaving me to pull my own luggage to the farthest part of the resort myself. No offer to take the bags. After walking to my building, I also discovered I could have parked my car in a different area much closer to the building. No one went out of their way - pointing instead of guiding if you had a question on where something was. I realized I missed hearing "My Pleasure" when thanking an employee for an answer to a question.

Many employees are also "performers" . The girl that checked me in told me she would also be performing in that night's trapeze show. I thought she was kidding until I saw her on the high wire.

Another thing many in the group I was with on this trip noted was the lack of areas looking "finished". For example, there was an outdoor "courtyard" area around the conference rooms. This area was not finished professionally. There was a cheap looking corrugated roof. The beams around the roof area were unfinished. Many people remarked that they felt the area looked unfinished especially after a renovation. In Club Med's favor though, as travel agents, we are more critical of a resort when inspecting or looking at it because we look at it in our clients eyes. These may be things that ordinary travelers may not notice, but we look for the good and bad when staying at a resort.

We carefully observed the other guests to see if they appeared to be having a good time. We noticed the most activity during outdoor Zumba classes and an evening trapeze performance (although there is no place to sit during that show, everyone was standing for the show.) Since we visited in November, the resort was not very crowded and the air was chilly so not many were by the pool. We did see kids paddle boarding in the river on a daily basis. Families seemed to be having fun.

Did I like the resort? Yes, I would rate it a solid three in a one to five scale. Did I love it? No. I don't consider it a four or five star resort but it is priced that way. If you expect an all inclusive resort similar to what you will find in the Caribbean you will be sorely disappointed. As far as activities for children, Club Med is tough to beat unless you are looking at a Beaches or Azul resort. And you certainly won't find trapeze and tennis for the young set at those resorts.

Don't think of comparing this resort to anything you may have experienced in the Caribbean. If you know what to expect and you do not expect a Caribbean type of all inclusive, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
13 Thank promal
Regina, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

We usually stay at a Club Med for a full week but this trip was just for 3 nights, not long enough but still enough time to enjoy the resort, its amenities and all that food!

The village was pretty empty during our stay but that was OK after the previous week battling the crowds in Orlando. The GO team was awesome, the lack of crowds allowed my wife to perfect a few extra tricks on the trapeze (special thanks to Nick, Hannah, Bella, Josh, Arturo, Chris and the rest of the circus team!).

Unfortunately the village is not located on the ocean but the St. Lucie River is an acceptable alternative. If you really need the ocean you can always take a cab there. The golf course is nice but not extravagant (the rental clubs did leave a little to be desired but it's not a big deal).

Thanks for the visit... we'll be back!!

Kevin

Room Tip: Buildings D and G are far away from the family activities and close to the adults only pool and hott...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Sandpiper Bay, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear KevinB_1966,
Thanks for the review! We are very happy that our staff was able to meet your needs during your stay. Once again, thanks for the review and we can't wait for you to stay with us again soon!
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Clubmed over the last 11 months has changed my life. The circus team and sports team have challenged me more in my life than ever before.

Hana
Arty
Josh These 7 People have encouraged me and pushed me to the max. I call them friends/family
Nick
Isabella
Billy
Chris

Andrew/Jake/Hunter of the sports team. Thanks for kicking my butt.
Cheers to Steven from the bar and Devin from kids club they rock.

Robert, Francis, and Lionel alway are friendly and makes sure they say hello each time they see me

The food is awesome. Nikos you run a tight ship.

Cludmed sandpiper is an active village that has changed my life physically, mentally, and spiritually. From where I was a year ago my life has changed for the good. I would like to Thank each and everyone of the GO's you have all impacted me in some way, shape and form.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Dear Andrew Buff D,
Thank you for sharing this with us! We are absolutely thrilled that our staff has been able to change your life in so many ways. We will definitely be passing your compliments on to them. Once again, thanks again for the review and we hope to see you again in the near future!
Maplewood, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

This was my first time at Club Med (or any all-inclusive resort for that matter) and I cannot sing Sandpiper's praises any more loudly--CLUB MED SANDPIPER ROCKS!!! OMG--from the minute the driver picked us up from the airport in a super comfy luxury SUV I knew we were going someplace special. When we checked in -- quickly and efficiently outside in the lovely Florida sunshine -- the GOs were right there with ice-cold water, fresh lemonade and iced, wet towels to help us cool down and relax. I also say enough things about the awesome GOs at this resort. EVERYBODY we met who worked there was incredibly friendly and outgoing and really seemed interested in our family and how we were enjoying our stay. (We stayed for 5 days in mid January with my in-laws and my brother-in-law and sister-in-law and their 16-month-old daughter for a family getaway to celebrate my mother-in-law's 75th birthday.)

We all had our own rooms--which were spacious and very clean with a mini-fridge that was stocked daily with bottled water and sodas. My husband and I have 2 boys (ages 9 and 6) so we booked the deluxe family suite with the separate bedroom for the kids, which was very nice and comfortable. I have to say that the regular club room (which my in-laws had) was also very comfortable and had a very private, curtained off bedroom with bunk beds for kids, which actually would have worked fine for a family too.

Talking about families, this resort is the BOMB for kids. Our boys loved the Mini Club for kids where the GOs are phenomenal and keep the children happy and busy ALL day long. The Mini Club runs from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm and then you can drop the kids off again for dinner with the GOs at 6:30 and they occupy them with a fun evening activity after dinner until 8:00. While we were there the kids performed in a circus show and a talent show and they LOVED it. Special shout outs to GOs Alessi, Gina, Chris, Chelsea, and Stephanie who took such spectacular care of the kids and clearly enjoyed their jobs. Blair the bartender at Slice was also a gem.

The food was very good as well. We ate all our meals at the Marketplace, which is the buffet and I was really surprised at the variety and the quality at all the meals. You could get everything from perfectly cooked duck to a kale salad there. You also MUST try the chocolate and white chocolate bread--the latter was one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten. We're definitely going back to Club Med Sandpiper. (When I even suggested to my 3 "boys" that we might want to try Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic next year, I was outvoted by 3-1) Club Med Sanpiper, we can't WAIT to come back!!!

p.s. The L'Octaine spa was fantastic too. I had a massage and a pedicure there.

Room Tip: We stayed in Building A which had wonderful views of the water and was a short walk to everything. T...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Sandpiper Bay, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Marian R,
Thanks for the kind review! We're thrilled that you were pleased with our room accommodations, dining options, and our L'Occitane Spa. Once again, thanks for the review and we can't wait for you to come back!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Saint Lucie
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port St. Lucie-Tradition
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port...
#1 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Hilton Garden Inn at PGA Village / Port St. Lucie
Hilton Garden Inn at PGA Village...
#2 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Courtyard Hutchinson Island Oceanside/Jensen Beach
Residence Inn Port St. Lucie
Residence Inn Port St. Lucie
#5 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port St. Lucie West
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#8 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Old Colorado Inn
Old Colorado Inn
#1 of 11 in Stuart

Been to Club Med Sandpiper Bay? Share your experiences!