“Another Great Trip BUT . . .”

Club Med Sandpiper Bay
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Port Saint Lucie
Haddonfield, New Jersey
“Another Great Trip BUT . . .”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We had a bumpy start this year at this location, but everything ended up perfect. NOTE: ASK FOR A ROOM ON THE UPPER FLOORS! We were upgraded to a bigger room facing the water on the first floor. Our first night was a nightmare. The people above us had little kids running around from 12:30AM to 5:30AM in the morning. The pounding of feet and the crying of toddlers were out of control. Security and Management did nothing to quiet this French Family down even after we made several phone calls to the front desk and a visit from security. The next day, we ask for a downgraded room on the top floor. Other than that, the food is great and the camp is wonderful. This is not a 5 star American resort. What makes this resort awesome is the camp and the food. The surrounding are okay. The main pool is not heated and is very cold. It is a hike to get the pool towels. There is only 1 bar. . . .BUT the young adults in the camp (Hunter, Devon, Gina) were amazing!!! If you need a break from your kids, this is the place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ckuball
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Sandpiper Bay, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear ckuball,
Thank you for posting a review about your stay at our Club Med Sandpiper Bay resort. We are so glad your trip turned around and you had a fantastic vacation! We're especially happy to hear you found our dining options, staff and activities to be wonderful. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope you visit again in the near future!
Your Club Med Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (785)
  • Hebrew first
South Jersey
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Our first Club Med vacation - and it was great! With two 8-year olds, we really wanted someplace that had a lot to offer the kids, but also offered relaxation for the tired parents. My one requirement - I wanted an all-inclusive so I didn't have to cook; my husband's requirements - not too far away. Club Med Sandpiper met all of our requirements and EXCEEDED our expectations!

The kid's Mini Club was AWESOME. The G.O.s are all great with the kids, making them feel welcome, special, and important. DEVIN was fabulous for our 'manatees' - they looked forward to seeing her everyday! After that first day 'push' of making the kids go to 'club', they truly enjoyed going everyday and looked forward to going and hanging out with their new friends and the G.O.s doing all sorts of exciting stuff...trapeze?!?!! Wow - what fun!

Let's not kid ourselves, it's pretty much all about the kids. They had a blast...so we had a blast. Got to hang poolside, relax, read, and have yummy drinks delivered to us all day. The pool could have been warmer, but I understand it's usually heated - just wasn't for us. That was a bit of a bummer, as I enjoy being in the water.

Not having to cook was wonderful. There's one main restaurant, The Marketplace. It's a buffet for every meal, with many different selections. It's obvious the chef tries to appeal to multiple tastes and eating styles - many healthy choices, everything seemed fresh, the homemade breads were delicious, and yummy desserts. Loved the made to order omelettes and fresh fruit every morning!

* The nightly shows put on by the G.O.s were really good. Much better than I thought they'd be. We all enjoyed them.
* All the G.O.s and G.E.s were very friendly and welcoming, always with a smile and a kind word. I wish I remembered everyone's name - but I don't. I do remember ...Jeff, the interim Chief of Village, was great - always had time to stop and talk; Devin in the Kids Club - I don't know how she managed all those kids and kept them in line - but she did and always with a smile!
* The room was nice - it worked for us. The kids had their own room with bunk beds and a TV, they couldn't have asked for more. The main bedroom was comfortable, but I missed having a sitting area. Next time, I'd go for a room that has a sitting area.
* Soleil, the second restaurant, is open only when the Marketplace is closed (the buffet runs for 2-3 hours per meal). The menu is a bit limited, but it's nice to have someplace to go if you either missed the buffet, or you just want to sit and have a coffee and snack.
* My only experience with the front desk was at 1AM when one of our children got sick. I called down to the front desk and they quickly brought up exactly what we needed. I'm not sure who it was - be we were very grateful.
* GOLF - my husband played most days, either in a tournament, with some golfers he met down there, or in a clinic. The greens fees are VERY reasonable, much less than what we've paid at other resorts.

Overall, I highly recommend Club Med Sandpiper for a family vacation - we'll be going back!

Room Tip: We were in building A which was very close to the main pool and restaurants.
1 Thank SouthJerseyTwinMom
Dear SouthJerseyTwinMom,
Thank you for sharing about your stay at our Club Med Sandpiper Bay resort. We love when our guests have an amazing experience, and we're thrilled to hear we surpassed your every expectation! We're so glad you enjoyed all our resort has to offer such as the Kids Club, activities, shows and dining options. It also makes us happy to know you found our staff to be simply wonderful. Thank you again for the kind words, and we can't wait for you to return!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Just came back today from Sandpiper Bay. It was my second time with Club Med. My first time was exactly 1 year ago- Opio en Provence, near Nice. That stay was reviewed separately so I won't go into it again.
I have purchased my airport transfer from Club Med- and surprise- a stretch limo was awaiting us outside!We were greeted upon arrival just like family...and told that, while they are a Club Med, they were also unique in their own way.
We have discovered some differences right away. The food is not as sofisticated as in the French Club med. It does not have a nightly theme, such as "Italian" or 'French" etc. Instead, you have buffet stations which are offering different foods every day, but some things are present on a daily basis. you always get several kinds of bread- I had seaweed bread for the first time! There is also Camemebert, Brie and goat cheese every day (so that the French guests don't get too homesick, I guess).The desserts are excellent, and check out the crepes station!Alcohol is included in your package automatically so you can feel free to have wine, beer etc. Premium alcohols, such as cognac, champagne and so on are extra.The Slice bar is open from 11 am until 1 am and they make great cocktails (included also).
There was a great choice of activities. The weather was excellent- sunny every day!There are 3 pools among which one is heated. they have an Aqua Fit class at 10:45 am which I LOVED and I attended every day. After that, you dance around the pool 'Crazy signs" with all those energetic G.O.'s-wonderful!(I should implement Crazy signs at work, before lunch time...so uplifting!).
Sandpiper Bay is a sports academy, so you have an opportunity to practice lots and lots of sports. A lot of people come for the tennis and the golf. The Zumba class is excellent and I highly recommend it. I thought I was in great shape, since I exercise 3-4 hours a week, but Fernando - the instructor- delivered such and intense (but FUN) class that I quickly realized that there's a lot of room for improvement in my cardio routine.Flying trapeze was another "once in a lifetime" experience. It's very safe so you can definitely give it a try. Exhilarating!
Also fun were water sports at lunch time- Pass 10, water polo etc, sailing, paddleboarding, beach volleyball.
No matter how rusty you are, any of these are worth a try, and the G.O.'s always give you positive feedback, no matter how bad you do. So you won't feel uncomfortable, no matter what.
Kids Club was great. My son is 8 yo, initially did not want to go, then he liked it so much that I had trouble finding where he was...They also have a busy schedule, sports, pool, dance lessons, painting etc etc. The counselors were very friendly and seemed to really enjoy working with children.
There is a show every night. I have a special interest in shows, and I watch ballet shows/ modern dance shows in Philadelphia, several times a year. The Club Med shows were amazing!! They are fast paced, have great technique, costumes, make-up, you can see the attention to detail. The dancers( who are G.o. in their everyday lives) rehearse a lot and the whole thing looks very professional. The choreographer &main dancer -Fernando- is an energetic and charismatic 28yo with a multicultural background. He apparenly trained in France (among many other places) with Kamil Ouali- a famous French choreographer.We were very pleased with all of his shows and classes. He should have it on DVDs and have it available for purchase. Club Med- listen up for this new income stream possibility!
We met lots of interesting people. The G.O.'s are very nice. It was the time of the year and they rotate/ start new so I only got to have dinner with a few of them. I hope they become more outgoing- for me it's a big attraction to have company during meals.
All in all we had a great time, and despite being there for 10 days we were still unhappy to leave.Great job again, Club Med!Can't wait to go again...

Room Tip: Building E worked great for us.Close to everything
Dear Helengrace2323,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our resort. We're thrilled to hear you've visited Club Med before and that you've had a wonderful experience! It also makes us so happy that our activities, amenities, staff and entertainment exceeded your expectations. We're so glad you had a lovely stay, and we can't wait to see you again!
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed November 10, 2012

My Family & Friends traveled here celebrating our recent marrage. The resort is beautiful, the epitome of tranquilitty. My 11 y/o son said he never undrestood what "giddy" ment but he thought at our arrival hew we understood.

I have to rave about the location, amenities, food, imaculate cleaniseness....But, what made the vacation magical was the GO's & Chef de Village....

Lionel and Jeff were "everywhere all of the time"...24/7. I wondered if they ever slept. The Go's demonstrated respect, enthusiam and apparent love of lubMed... That put the experience "over the top".

Allison, Allison, Allison is a "ball of energy" .....Smart, Creative, Fun, and fantastic. She is an absolute Gem. She emulated the heart and spirit of the ClubMed experience. My son, Mig (11 y/o), adored her and opened up experiencing so many new things. I went to see him on the Trapeeze and was floored when Allison was yelling and cheering him on more/louder than me (Impressed). And there was Hunter..... our daughter Ava (7 y/o),was in the childrens "shark club" and experienced her first crush. I was next to the pool, he grabbed her and jumped into the pool. I have never heard her "belly laugh" like then.

Miguel found love in Tennis thanks to the daily instruction of Gino (sic?).

Payton was just adorable and keept the Food, Beer & Wine coming at the Soleil.

Jenney waslso fantastic, She was the first GO we met and always knew or names, everything.....

I know I missed mentioning some....the young lady/GO at sailing that Oli keep saying he needed CPR....etc.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear lucihodge,
Thanks for the kind words! We're so pleased you and your family had an amazing vacation and that our staff exceeded your every expectation! We're also very glad you found our amenities, dining options, facilities and activities to be of the best quality. Thank you again for posting a review, and we hope you visit again soon!
RTP, NC
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We wanted to try club med because of the wonderful childrens programs we had heard about - so we decided to give it a try.

First of all, the property is beautiful and well maintained. For those expecting beach front, this is not your place as it is on the St. Lucie river with a small river front beach with brackish water. Very beautiful, but maybe not the best for swimming in. We were there the first week of November 2012, and the pools were to cold to use. Was told many different things about heating the pools, but in my opinion they were not usable. The jacuzzi in the adult pool nice though, and the view from it was spectacular.

We had a deluxe suite, and it did have one bedroom seperate from the main room, which was great for our twins to sleep in. The bed was reasonably comfortable and the room was well appointed. Bathrooms were fine too. However, for whatever reason, being on the first floor of building A, whenever someone in the room above us flushed the toilet, it sounded like water was rushing/trickling down from above. No idea why, never heard plumbing like that. It was nice being on the first floor, which allowed you to exit the room from the front of the building, which was very convenient for building A, I would recommend the first floor for this reason alone.

The childrens programs were clearly in focus, and the baby club med program was great. We dropped off our twins (20 months old) with the care takers, and they were very welcoming. This was the first time our twins had been in a pre-school type of setting, and they had some issues being separated from us, but they quickly stepped in and helped. We were able to have care anytime between the hours of 9 am and 5 pm. For our four year old, she had a good time in the Gecko's group. She wanted to go back, she never got tired of the club. The only disappointing thing was during the awards show, my child was forgotten about and I had to remind them she was still on the stage waiting for one. This was the only negative piece though. I would give this part of the trip 5 stars.

The food and dining experiences were mixed. The food was pretty much buffet style unless you wanted to eat at Soleil. The menu is rather limited, but there are daily specials. The good news is there was no issue finding foods that our kids liked/would eat. For some reason, the food struggled to stay warm while on the buffet. But by in large, the food tasted good, but not what I would consider a highlight of the trip. We did find ants in the ginger-ale dispenser however which was a little disappointing. We also found the water dispensers in the adult pool area unusable due to some type of stuff floating in the water.

The outdoor activities were also very good - I especially enjoyed sailing the small hobie cats that were available. I've sailed most of my life, but my wife and I went through sailing training they offered and it was delivered well and logically, and would allow those completely new to sailing to be successful.

Other comments - the Club Med transfers from PBI were nice, on time, professional, nice vehicles. For some reason our return was not scheduled, we had to follow up.

Overall the staff were very friendly, but I get the feeling there is a large amount of turnover of staff. Maybe just a coincidence, but I noted MANY people being trained during our stay.

In summary, I am up in the air as to if I would come to this resort again. My 4 year old had a great time, we did have 20 month old twins to contend with. My expectations were higher for a Club Med resort.

Room Tip: Look at the property map and see where you are in relation to certain areas of the resort. For inst...
3 Thank enzeno
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Sandpiper Bay, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear enzeno,
Thank you for sharing about your experience at our resort. We apologize for not surpassing your expectations although we are glad to hear you found our Kids Club and activities to be wonderful. Thank you for your insights as we are always looking for ways to improve and will be addressing your concerns immediately. We truly appreciate your feedback, and hope you give Club Med another chance in the future.
Fairfax, VA
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Just returned from a long weekend at Club Med Sandpiper Bay with the kids. We all had a blast and had to drag the kids out of there. Nobody wanted to leave. From the wonderful food, the great sports (special thanks to the new Yoga teacher from Argentina, Marissa) to the exciting shows at night, everything was excellent. The GO's were all very friendly and went out of their way to make sure everyone was having a good time. I'm always pleasantly surprised on how easy it is to get to know the other guests and GO's at Club Med.

Special thank you to the Beach team (under the supervision of Joe). The kids loved to go out on the bay and paddle board. The team even took us out sailing with almost no wind, kids loved it though. Also want to mention the effort Fernando puts into having a great show every night, it was truly impressive.

Hope to be back soon at this Club Med or one of the other resorts!

1 Thank DaleCooperSr
Dear DaleCooperSr,
Thank you for sharing about your stay at our resort. It makes us so happy to hear you had an amazing time and that you didn't want to leave! We're also so glad our staff, dining options and sports exceeded your every expectation. We can't wait for you to visit again!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Brought the family (ages 2, 4, and 6) up from Ft. Lauderdale for the Club Med Triathlon, and loved every minute. Checked the kids into the Kids clubs at 9am, and didn't have to worry about them again until dinner time. They were well supervised and kept busy on the trapeeze, in the pools, at the beach, with arts and crafts, and with other fun daily activities. Meanwhile, the adults had time to relax at the beautiful resort. The staff was helpful and curteous, even going out of their way to find some delicious "chocolate bread" during a time in which the main dining room was closed. The main buffet dining room was clean and well supplied, the food was healthy, delicious, and plentiful, and the Triathlon was well run and very organized. I will definitely be taking the family back again next year. The only slight negative was the spa, which seemed a bit overpriced and small for a resort of this caliber.

Room Tip: We were located in "B" building which was centrally located to the beach/lagoon and offere...
2 Thank MarcFTL
Dear MarcFTL,
Thanks for the review! We love when our guests have a fabulous experience, and we're thrilled to hear you participated in the Club Med Triathlon! It also makes us so happy you found our dining options, Kids Club, activities and staff to be terrific. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to see you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Saint Lucie
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port St. Lucie-Tradition
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port...
#1 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port St. Lucie West
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#8 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Courtyard Hutchinson Island Oceanside/Jensen Beach
Hilton Garden Inn at PGA Village / Port St. Lucie
Hilton Garden Inn at PGA Village...
#2 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Holiday Inn Port St. Lucie
Holiday Inn Port St. Lucie
#10 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Residence Inn Port St. Lucie
Residence Inn Port St. Lucie
#5 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie

Been to Club Med Sandpiper Bay? Share your experiences!