“The Ultimate Family Destination”

Club Med Sandpiper Bay
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Port Saint Lucie
Rockland County, NY
“The Ultimate Family Destination”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

This was our fifth visit to this property. It was closed for renovations for quite a time in 2011 and the changes were dramatic and quite extensive....very successful, too! The rooms were completely redecorated and upgraded. A new, HUGE pool was added just outside the dining building and just in front of the Reception Building - Bar area. Several venues were moved to more convenient areas and, overall, the new layout is much more convenient.

However, the physical plant is only one small part of this resort's attraction. It's probably the most family-friendly resort we've ever visited. The staff is young and eager to please. It seems that there's always a G. O. (A term Club Med uses for those staffers charged with keeping the guests happy) at your shoulder. They're all over....always!

Activities, for both kids and adults are almost endless. Want to try your hand at circus acrobatics? Go ahead! Play Tennis? Sure! Golf?, on the premises! Swimming?, At least 4 pools (one,adults only). Boating? Yes! Health Club? Naturally! And..... on and on and on.

There's a super Day Camp for the kids. They can spend all or any part of the day in camp with activities all day. Want to eat lunch with the kids? Sure! Want them to eat with the camp group? OK!

Speaking of food, it's been upgraded too! The Buffet area is enormous as is the selection. I won't get into the menu, but it varies every day, and is NOT your typical "$19.95 Special" It's upscale and just plain good food, prepared and served with flair. (Don't miss the Bread Bar and their specialty Chocolate Bread).

We were nine people this time, The Grandparents, Parents, and Grandkids. Since I don't play golf or tennis, I spent eight days at Sandpiper Bay, and never spent an additional dime, including any alcohol we enjoyed.

Have no fears, you really are in for a treat at Sandpiper Bay. .

Room Tip: Check the property map. Some guest buildings are quite removed from where you will want to be durin...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank wis633
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Sandpiper Bay, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Wis633,
Thanks for your kind words! We're so glad you had a fabulous 5th stay with us and that you enjoyed all our resort has to offer. It makes us even happier to know our activities, dining, recently renovated rooms, and new pool exceeded every expectation. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope you visit us again soon!
Your Club Med Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (768)
  • Hebrew first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Stayed at club med in the first week of September. Before going into details, lets get a few misconceptions out of the way:

1. This is NOT a beach resort. Yes, it has a patch of sand by the river, but the water is of rusty color, and I would not recommend swimming in it (noone did when we stayed there). Thus, this is a POOL RESORT.

2. This resort is heavily geared toward families with kids. Kids ARE unrully, they do run around, they will cut in front of you in the buffet, etc etc. If you are looking for a quiet place, look else where.

3. Read some reviews complaining about having to walk to get fresh towels. This "walk" will be about 45 seconds from the farthest pool. Get off the burgers and learn how to use your legs!

Now, on to the review:

The resort is excellent, to say the least. Just like any place, there will be hiccups, small things that might bother some, but overall it is simply great. Here are the main points that I base my review on:

- Family and kids focus: we stayed in building A. Our room had everything needed for kids: a stroller for use throughout the resort (!!), baby bottle warmer, changing pad, bath pad for little ones, double bunk bed in a separate room (closed by a cloth sheer). Room was clean, and one of the renovated ones. There is day care available for a fee, but, you can use the facility if you stay with kids so that they can play with toys. Kid village has a room avail 24 hours that has milk, fruit and baby food. Speaking of, baby food (Gerber) is available in the buffet as well, right by ice cream machine (ask a server where it is). Great programs for kids with art studio, trapeze training, games.

- Speaking of rooms, they ARE renovated, or at least still being renovated. We saw workers renovating two rooms in our building, so you should be in good shape.

- GO's - you guys rock! I felt as if you guys were more of a family, than staff. Super outgoing, always eager to help, really enjoyed interacting with you guys. Example: during a short heavy rain, two of the GOs were using large, heavy umbrellas from the pool to provide cover for families with kids walking to the buffet to eat. :)

- Food: the place is pretty much based on one large buffet. Compared with buffets in Mexico all inclusives, this is a top level buffet if not one of the best. Yes, occasional piece of meat will be in on a dry side, and yes, some deserts did dissapear too quickly, but overall: a solid 4.8 out of 5. Here is a list of stations in it: junk food (burgers, fries, grilled chicken, hot dogs), italian (pasta of at least three kinds, white and marinara sauce), salads, salad bar with at least 15 types of dressings avialable, three or four meat stations that served chicken, beaf, fish and veal (they were rotating throughout the week), soups and breads (breads rocked! Raisin bread was incredible), sandwich place, deserts (crepes for the win!!!!!), cheese station, soft drinks, wine, beer, stir fries, even some indian flavored food. Atlhough, I have to mention, that if you ARE indian, and one of the true vegeterians, you will not be happy here as even indian dishes had meat in them! :) Fruit always there ... pizza ... some soft serve ice cream. For breakfast, again: breads, full egg and omlet station, meats (deli and usual junky bacon for the fatties! :)). Bananas and oranges all throughout. So yeah, you will always here from a complainer or two, but overall: the place is rock solid.

TIP: find the hidden Soleil bar. They always have ACTUAL freshly squeezed orange and pineapple juices. YUM.

- Tennis: they have a full blown academy there. Free lessons are great. A private lesson is even better. Keith and Laurent rocked! Thanks guys for tips, I learned a great deal to improve my game.

So overall, we had excellent time and would definitely go back. A few warnings and notes:

1. If you are going during a holiday weekend, expect the resort to be VERY busy. We stayed during the labor day, and it was packed with families and kids. On Tuesday, the resort felt empty (500 people checked out).

2. Each building has a set of washers and dryers. THey were of older models, and were merely ok. You will need quarters to operate them, and to buy detergent. Our building ran of of Tide, and we had to go to another building for it. Just bring some of your own.

3. After breakfast, grab a few oranges/bananas from the restarant. 10-12 is a dead window when no food is avail, so plan if you like a quick snack! :)

4. Tennis: if you don't have a raquet with you, you can get an awesome Babolat stick from the proshop.

5. Suggestion for CLUB MED: please install drying racks on the balconies! Thanks.

In the conclusion, great job GOs and Club Management. You have an awesome vacation spot, which we will definitely come back to in the future.

3 Thank IGOR_CHICAGO
Dear IGOR_CHICAGO,
Thanks so much for your review! We truly appreciate any suggestions our guests may have and are always searching for ways to improve. We're so glad you found our staff, food, rooms, service, activities, and other amenities to be excellent. Thank you again for taking the time to share with us about your recent stay, and we can't wait to see you again!
Linden, New Jersey
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I hadn't vacationed with my daughter since she was 9, and she is now 17. She has had a difficult time with life being her father and I separated in 2008, she is now becoming more balanced and I wanted her to have the time of her life, So I choose Club Med being they have a teen program, and I have also been to Club-Med in Turks and Caicos, and Mexico.

Well Shahiyda had the BEST TIME of her LIFE, the "GO"s were so so angelic, they answered my prayers. They attended to making sure every day and all day she was busy and incorporating her into all the activities at Club Med even till the evenin. They had a sports award dinner which Shahiyda was given an award for the Trapeze, and basket ball, she attended hullahoop, yoga, basketball, trapeze, volleyball, crazy signs at the pool. In the evening they made sure she attended the cabaret shows which were awesome, especially Popular, and Cleopatra, in all fairness all the shows were exceptional.

The GM and GO would come around with fruit and make sure you were enjoying your stay, and they were very accessible to you.

The food was excellent to me it was very health conscious, appealing, I ate till I just couldn't eat anymore.

Well I would give this club a ten in my opinion, Shahiyda had a marvelous time in which the memories from meeting such Tremendous people she shall have for a lifetime.

Thank you to all the GO's for making my daughter's trip memoriable.

4 Thank phyllis h
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Sandpiper Bay, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear phyllis h,
Thank you for sharing about your recent stay at our Sandpiper Bay resort. We're extremely glad that you and your daughter had a fabulous time on your vacation and that you enjoyed all the activities we have to offer like yoga, trapeze, and the variety of shows. It makes us very happy that your daughter had the best time of her life and that she met such wonderful people. Thank you again for the review and we hope you visit us again in the near future.
Florida
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Three generations of family enjoyed this trip to Sandpiper Bay! We spent 4 days, relaxing and enjoying family time. What we loved was we could get involved with anyone of the activities or we could just sit pool side and talk. No one bothered us and eveyone was so friendly and nice. The GO's were just a fantastic crew that made sure we didn't want for anything. Facilities were great. (we were told they just completed an extensive renovations) We all felt it was money well spent and we will go back for sure.
Who knew that this type of all inclusive resort was so close to home? We are glad we found it and we are glad we got to spend quality family time at a quality family resort!

Room Tip: Try to get A or B building although we heard G was the newest building.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Sandpiper Bay, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Auntdacole,
Thanks so much for your kind words! It makes us so thrilled to hear that all three generations of your family had an amazing experience at our Sandpiper Bay resort. We're so glad you enjoyed our activities, staff, facilities, and and all of the other wonderful amenities our resort has to offer. Thank you again for your review, and we hope you come back soon!
Englewood, Florida
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Jim and Peggy Biebel entered into the Sandpiper Resort reserved about how they would enjoy the experience. We are an older couple traveling without children and we could not have been happier. We loved the golf staff from the golf lessons to discussions about the golf academy and, the actual experience on the driving range and putting area; everything was enjoyable.
The spa was welcoming and the massages were relaxing ananominal)maker was fd given by prepared and personable people.Jim and I had a couples massage and we will definitely come back and do this again!!
The Market Place had a staff that welcomed us and who met all of our requests. We had the opportunity to meet many of the people that made this a most enjoyable experience. Many kudo's to the reception desk, the room stewards, the dining room staff, the cooks (the omelet was remarkable). Lionel, you go!! Your golf staff says you are the BEST!!! Thanks for a memorable anniversary, Jim and Peggy Biebel

Room Tip: Traveling as a couple, ask fro a room with a couch in the main area.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Peggy B,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our Club Med Sandpiper Bay resort. We're very happy to hear that you and your husband enjoyed golfing with us and that our spa, market place, and staff exceeded every expectation. It gives us joy to know you had such a wonderful anniversary and we hope you celebrate with us again soon!
Tamarac, Florida, United States
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My almost two year old and and I recently returned from a 3 night trip to Club Med Sandpiper Bay. First time vacationing with my little one and at Club Med so I didn't know what to expect.

I had a difficult time finding the place, if you drive and get directions from google ignore the "NE and SE" just take whatever road it says ;) (it said NE Westmoreland, is no such thing)

Immediately everyone was so welcoming and helpful and that was really nice. I'm not the type to 'ask for help' so the fact that all the staff offered was nice. I really enjoyed the sincerity of the staff, it didn't feel like they were "just doing their job" but like normal, real people. I really liked that a lot.

Can I live there? :) I found myself thinking maybe I'll see some of the helpful people again to say hi just because they were so nice. I loved all the food and thought it was great, although at times in Marketplace it seems they are either very helpful or not at all, kind of a mix, but like I said, I was alone with a toddler so I'm used to the struggle, not expecting people to wait on us.

I did notice service lacking when we went to Soleil, they just completely ignored me and my son after serving us the entree. Weird. I don't know if I did something wrong somehow or what but that was odd.

The ladies at the baby club were wonderful and caring, I got a massage and it was great! My first ever real massage so I can't compare but I'm sure I'll be comparing it to all the others from now on :)

The waterpark for toddlers was wonderful, he loved it. The room was always clean and items stocked. I really enjoyed it. I didn't feel 'too weird' being there as a single parent so that was really nice.

I noticed twin babies went into the next room our first night there and felt guilty my son starting crying being in a new place and couldn't sleep. To their credit, he loved the circus show so much and was amped and couldn't fall asleep and by midnight I had it and said we just have to go home (only live 1.5 hours south so figured trial vacation over)

Anyway, Mark was extremely wonderful and helpful at the front desk and by the time I was saying I HATE to leave but I think I have to since we must get sleep, he offered to change our room within the building to somewhere not near others so maybe my son would fall asleep. So he was falling asleep in his stroller and he helped me with all my bags to the new room and viola, my son was asleep, yay!

Anthony helped me change rooms again (and was awesome!) and I ended up upgrading rooms as my son falls asleep easier in his own room instead of just the big curtain (I guess he could still hear me or is he a diva? :D ) everyone was so helpful and wonderful.

2 Thank Anne B
Dear Anne B,
Thank you for sharing with us about your recent visit. We are extremely happy our spa services, staff, and food exceeded your every expectation. We love to hear that our staff helped you and your son find a comfortable room. It is our goal to ensure each guest has the best possible experience and we are pleased to know you enjoyed your first stay at a Club Med resort. We hope you visit us again soon!
New York
Reviewed September 9, 2012

This is our first Club Med Experience as I've been hearing about Club Med for over 20 years. Now I wish I had done this much sooner. 9 Families from Long Island travelled to Club Med Sandpiper. Upon arrival, as we got off the bus, Julia was waiting with cold water and lemonade to greet us at the bus. They had all our names on a list, gave us wristbands as we got off the bus and we were already checked in, handed us our room keys right there. I have traveled all over the world and still marvelled at the efficient check in process. We had some great weather and some rain due to tropical storm but the staff was ready for any contingency. When the rains came, staff worked over time to make guests welcomed over drinks and indoor activities. The staff was simply amazing, got to know so many of them and it felt like family. You can judge an organisation by how the employees behave and clearly this Club Med must be doing something right for their employees to exhibit such enthusiasm. Max who is the manager of the hotel desk and the catering was so helpful and a really nice person. And a special thank you to Jeff who runs all the facilities and Entertainment. Jeff made this trip very memorable for me and my family by going above and beyond expectations. And what can I say about the "GO's", I love them and the shots we did was a blast. Thank you Teddy and Dan for the Volleyball and Teddy for the shots. Mary at the dock, with your amazing personality, you will be a "GO" in no time. There was an issue with my room due to the storms but I'm confident that the club med team will take care of it. Thank you Club Med Sandpiper and hope to see you all again in the near future,

Room Tip: We stayed in building A which was very convenient
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Schojar,
Thanks so much for your feedback! We are so happy you chose to stay with us and that you had an amazing first experience. We're so glad our check-in system, staff, and activities surpassed your every expectation. We strive to make sure each guest has an amazing time no matter what the weather is like. Thank you again for your sweet review, and we can't wait to see you for a second visit!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Saint Lucie
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port St. Lucie-Tradition
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port...
#1 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Courtyard Hutchinson Island Oceanside/Jensen Beach
Hilton Garden Inn at PGA Village / Port St. Lucie
Hilton Garden Inn at PGA Village...
#2 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Residence Inn Port St. Lucie
Residence Inn Port St. Lucie
#5 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Holiday Inn Port St. Lucie
Holiday Inn Port St. Lucie
#10 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port St. Lucie West
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#8 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie

Been to Club Med Sandpiper Bay? Share your experiences!