“Disappointing”

Holiday Inn Port St. Lucie
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Port Saint Lucie
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I hadn't looked at the tripadvisor reviews before booking this hotel; but having stayed there I expected to find that most of the reviews were poor. That does not appear to be the case.
As in all things you can only comment upon what you personally experience. Just before I start my review let me draw the reader's attention to the fact that most of my previous hotel reviews have been very positive. This is our experience of this hotel.
When we checked in we were allocated a room for the disabled. Neither of us has a disability and would not have requested such a room. It was located at the far end of a ground floor corridor. There was an unpleasant, but not strong, smell wafting in the corridor. The room itself had a dank smell. My wife did not like it at all, I was prepared to tolerate it on the basis that it was for only two nights. Nevertheless I reported our dissatisfaction to the receptionist and all credit to her, she immediately upgraded us to a suite. Whilst this was much better, it, like the rest of the hotel was very tired. The furniture and general state of the room's decoration was 'sad'.
Why would we have been allocated a room for the disabled when other rooms were available? There is no reason for any room, particularly one designated as being for guests with disabilities, to be in such a poor condition.
We had booked breakfast with our room rate. Without going into detail this was also a poor experience mainly due to the attitude of the server.
Overall I was left wondering why the owners of this hotel were allowed to keep the Holiday Inn franchise. It needs a complete renovation including staff training.
We stayed in six different hotels (with either an IHG or Hilton Group franchise) on this trip and this , thankfully, was the only one with which we were not satisfied.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor rooms if you are able to.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nickshare
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port St. Lucie, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

Dear Nickshare,

Thank you for your detailed review regarding your recent stay. We strive everyday to create special experiences to our guests and we are truly sorry we did not manage this for your stay. We would however like to apologize for the first room that was allocated to you. However I'm glad to see that you appreciated the service recovery offered. Please allow us to apologize for the inconvenience you may have had due to the services received. We have taken note of your valuable comments and your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and we hope you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed October 26, 2012

This Holiday Inn suited us well. Located within easy distance of local attractions and shops it was clean, comfortable and had helpful, friendly staff. The pool was handy and pleasant, and when we needed to alter our check-out date the staff were happy to help making our stay problem free. Not a beach holiday location but ideal for those exploring the area by car.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Holiday Inn Review

Let me start by saying that the staff was very good and the room was clean and it was kept clean throughout our five day, four night stay. BUT - the bathroom was a turnoff for me. The water pressure in the sink was minimal, the toilet had to be flushed at least two times to complete the operation (but fortunately no true backup), and the shower/tub took 5-10 minutes to drain after a quick shower. We were given a smoke-free room but the hall reeked of smoke. The desk staff told us that the entire floor was smoke free which led us to believe that they were using vacuums from other floors or, our (sensitive) Arizona based noses was detecting the smell of Florida mildew? After a day or two, our noses became desensitized and we no longer detected as strong an odor. Being there for five days, a mini-refrigerator would have been appreciated. But we got through it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed in this hotel 15 days ago, we were so tired due to hour long hours driving (we went as a family)... the rooms were super clean, everything in excellent conditons...
The breakfast is good, they have few choices, enough for a free breakfast.
The staff was friendly... coming back from our final destination I decided to cancel other's hotel reservation and stay again at this hotel, I felt safe with my family there... very good location I must say...

Room Tip: Book early , you will get better rates than booking 1-2-3 days before....(as in any hotel)
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2012

INITIAL REACTION:
I stayed at this hotel the weekend of October 5-7, 2012 for a pinochle tournament that my sister played in. My initial reaction to the appearance of the hotel was not great because of the previous reviews. The reviews were most accurate in terms of the wear and tear of the hotel and its need for updating. The lobby furnishing is worn beyond repair and should be thrown away. I could not sit on the sofas, so I opted to sit in an old leather covered straight chair. Note to HI: there a a Goodwill donation center right down the street. The manager/owner should be embarassed or maybe, just don't care.

THE ELEVATOR:
Very slow, and one is actually coming from the wall. When we reported it, maintenance had left for the day, but someone tried to repair it later by putting a "bandaid" on it for a temporary fix.

THE ROOM:
The room is very small and cramped with an even smaller bathroom. The chairs and other furnishing need replacing immediately. There is no refrigerator or microwave in the room. If you want appliances, you must get a "suite"! Ha! Same room, same size, just 1 bed and a nasty sofabed, for an additional $10.00. However, surprisely, the bed was very clean and comfortable, therefore provide a peaceful rest for me. Had it not, that would have been a deal breaker for me.

ICE MACHINE:
Don't expect to get any ice quickly on the 5th floor, as it take a little manuerving to get a bucket. 2nd floor works great!

THE POOL: The pool area is impressive with the waterfall flowing continously, However, if you're not an experienced swimmer, it's (waterfall) no enjoyment to you.

PETS: Not for me. I saw several dogs without crates, that made me uneasy. However, I never heard them barking or running around during my stay. I love dogs...just not in my hotel.

FOOD: Our hotel deal provided 2 FREE breakfast buffets per room, which was wonderful, delicious, and filling. There were a few pastries, but the breakfast was a FULL hot breakfast which was a nice treat. During our stay, we were provided a lovely hot buffet lunch on Saturday which consisted of, roast beef, fried chicken, veggie medley, new potatoes, roll, tea. Since I was enjoying the pool during lunch; my sister fixed a plate for me to enjoy later. I asked one of the many very friendly waitresses in the cafe' to heat in the microwave, which she gladly did. Food was delicious.
But, I don't think that I would have purchase anything from the restaurant had it not been included as the prices were pretty steep. Also, the bar/lounge never opened during my stay.

LOCATION:
Hotel is very convenient to shopping, malls, beach, and restaurant. There is a Beall's and Shop A Lot Grocery just across the street, and Sonny's barbeque next door.

AIR CONDITIONER:
Very loud and old motel model instead of wall, digital thermostats.

SPECIAL KUDOS to the ENTIRE front desk staff, especially Linda & Lisa, 5th floor housekeeping team, and Justino, who helped to get my car started.

Room Tip: 5th floor was very quiet. The ice machine doesn't work properly. Also, there is a microwave on...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Deborah H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port St. Lucie, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Deborah H,

Thank you for the detailed review of our hotel. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I'm particularly appreciative that you have mentioned our comfortable beds. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the hotel conditions may have caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 11, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel over the years many times and the recent renovation is pretty thorough
Very nice accommodating staff. Small bathrooms which is expected for older properties but convenient to many good areas and restaurants.
My only issue is the HOTEL HAS A VERY LIBERAL PET POLICY and that is a problem for me.
I like pets just Dont want them in my Hotel .
I am told there are pet floors 2 and 4 but they usually take the elevator 9I dont get it but i am having to reconsider my options for hotels in the area if the policy continues).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I have never been through a hurricane and wanted to get off the island we were on when the storm came. We decided to go to the Holiday Inn, Port St. Lucie. The front desk clerk was amazing, she helped me check in early to get ahead of the storm. As well, she was welcoming and friendly even though I brought tons of luggage and supplies. The following day the manager assisted me with a late check-out due to a tornado warning during regular check-out hours. Great hotel overall.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Saint Lucie
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port St. Lucie-Tradition
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port...
#1 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Hampton Inn & Suites Port St. Lucie, West
Hampton Inn & Suites Port St. Lu...
#4 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Courtyard Hutchinson Island Oceanside/Jensen Beach
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port St. Lucie West
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#8 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Best Western Port St. Lucie
Best Western Port St. Lucie
#7 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
Hilton Garden Inn at PGA Village / Port St. Lucie
Hilton Garden Inn at PGA Village...
#2 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie

Been to Holiday Inn Port St. Lucie? Share your experiences!