“Broadzilla”

Happy Ours Kayak and Bike Outpost
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The ten minutes we spent with Debbie reminded me of the way my 3rd grade teacher used to treat us. She 1st tried to be funny by insulting us, then she shook us down for $5 for a 9th scalloper after spending $575. After paddling for a few minutes her attitude came out and she decided to quit guiding us and we were all glad she left. When we returned our rentals on time she was all smiles until she followed me to the garbage can where I properly disposed beer and water bottles, pulled them out and dumped the contents onto our feet. Never, never ever go to Happy Ours. Not fair that she ruined our day on our vacation.

6  Thank AES222

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Back when our kids were in elementary school vacationing in Mexico Beach for the very first time, my family had so much fun just kayaking out a couple hundred yard in front of the outpost and letting the kids snorkeling in a few feet of water. All the little critters we saw was amazing. This time around, I took my parents along (early 80s) to let them experience marine life up-close and personal. Dan took excellent care of us with special tall back seats and special instructions to ensure a fun and safe experience for my elderly parents. We rented 3 tandem Kayaks and placed my parents in the front seat for the best view. Less then 50 yards from the launch area we watch baby shark darted by followed by several rays. 150 yards, several dinner plate size horseshoe crabs, orange star fishes, a clam, conks, maybe a baby turtle (okay my wife said she only saw small flippers that went into the weeds). . .WOW! We got our money's worth. Maybe next time we'll take a personal guided tour with Dan or Debbie to learn more about critters we'd overlooked in our haste. Thank you guys for the TLC you all showed with my parents. I highly recommend spending a day exploring the whole area. They have all the gears you'll need for your outing.Dan, Debbie and their staff runs a professional outfit!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stopped in to talk to Debbie at Happy Ours on Wednesday, May 15th about kayaking the next day. When we first drove up I was charmed by the quaint feel of the grounds. It is a well maintained property with chickens, a horse and a donkey. Debbie came out to warmly greet us and answer any questions that we had about the trip. She showed us the kayaks, life jackets, and all the other goodies that they had available to rent (water shoes, dry boxes) to make our trip enjoyable.

When we went back on Thursday and Debbie went over the rental agreement, and started outfitting us with our gear. She then asked us what we wanted to see and gave us really good directions on where to go, taking the time to get out a map and then take us to the bay to point out landmarks to paddle toward that would help us get to our destinations.

When we got back from our trip Debbie asked us what we saw and answered questions about what we couldn't identify. She is very knowledgeable about the wildlife and I would love to take a guided tour with her or Dan the next time we get down to this area.

About the rental equipment: This isn't your average rental equipment, this is the good stuff. The kayaks we rented were both Perception sit on tops. These are really, really nice kayaks! They had padded seats, which if you have ever kayaked then you understand why the padding is important, like-wise with the padded back rests. The life vests were not just typical, cheap vests but were comfortable for paddling and were fully adjustable. We didn't need water shoes as we had our own but the ones they had were clean and in great shape. I was thankful that there were dry boxes for rent since I neglected to pack mine, and at $2 a piece we decided to rent one for each boat (just in case).

In the clear water of the bay we saw horseshoe crab, stingrays, a turtle, several fish, a sponge, conch, and much, much more. I would love to kayak this area again and would certainly use Happy Ours to outfit us the next time.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

I don't get the negative comments...Debbie was nice as can be. Other members of my family had used Happy Ours before but this was my first time. I had been in a kayak before so I can't attest to how they do with first timers, but Debbie seemed quite willing to answer any questions. If you don't know what you're doing or ate unsure of something, ASK. My brother (who has kayaked several times) and I went out for 4 hours and had no problems at all. If you follow their rules and guidelines you should have a good time. Prices are very reasonable.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I'm not sure what the nay-sayers are talking about but if you book with Dan and Debbie you're going to have a fantastic day. My family of 5, all adults, booked a 4 hour guided kayak trip. As I read the other reviews, I'm seeing people complain about rules, not knowing how to kayak, and tide issues. If you go with a guide, you're not going to have any problems and you'll learn a ton along the way.

We arrived, signed our wavers, rented some water shoes, and loaded up in the kayaks. The kayaks were big and sturdy and well taken care of. Debbie explained the best way to hold the paddle and move it through the water in order to maintain your arms all afternoon.

The bay tends to be very shallow with some places only having 6 inches of water at any given time. Debbie guided us through the shallow water and showed us all the bay had to offer. We discovered starfish, snails, sponges, horseshoe crabs, scallops, turtles, birds, fish, a shark!! and some I'm forgetting. Debbie is unbelievably knowledgeable about the bay and we were lucky to learn from her.

When we returned, we took some time to chat with Dan and feed some grass to the horse and donkey on the property. It was a relaxing and wonderful afternoon. We'll be sure to come back!