“A fantastic day on the water”

Happy Ours Kayak and Bike Outpost
St. Louis, MO
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“A fantastic day on the water”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I'm not sure what the nay-sayers are talking about but if you book with Dan and Debbie you're going to have a fantastic day. My family of 5, all adults, booked a 4 hour guided kayak trip. As I read the other reviews, I'm seeing people complain about rules, not knowing how to kayak, and tide issues. If you go with a guide, you're not going to have any problems and you'll learn a ton along the way.

We arrived, signed our wavers, rented some water shoes, and loaded up in the kayaks. The kayaks were big and sturdy and well taken care of. Debbie explained the best way to hold the paddle and move it through the water in order to maintain your arms all afternoon.

The bay tends to be very shallow with some places only having 6 inches of water at any given time. Debbie guided us through the shallow water and showed us all the bay had to offer. We discovered starfish, snails, sponges, horseshoe crabs, scallops, turtles, birds, fish, a shark!! and some I'm forgetting. Debbie is unbelievably knowledgeable about the bay and we were lucky to learn from her.

When we returned, we took some time to chat with Dan and feed some grass to the horse and donkey on the property. It was a relaxing and wonderful afternoon. We'll be sure to come back!

Visited May 2013

Cleveland, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great time on the bay”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Not sure what transpired between the owners and people who left poor reviews, but three of us found Dan and Debbie to be great. I booked a day ahead for three single kayaks and when the weather the following morning turned out to be more rainy and unfavorable than expected, Dan gladly charged us nothing and set aside kayaks for us in case the weather cleared. It did clear up and we went out on the bay. Dan was out leading a guided tour of people who were rained out the day before, so Debbie got us going and was very kind. The "Nickel and Dimed" comment from another person sounds ridiculous. Water shoes and dry bags are low $2 fees, especially compared to the costs of kayaking in Maine, which my wife and I did a month prior.

Debbie gave us a general tour direction/plan which worked out great. We also looked at their website before showing up, which recommended that if you don't have some closed toe footwear to use on your kayak trip that you should rent water shoes. Most of the other things people have complained about on here were related to their policies that were also clearly spelled out on their site.

As far as having issues with the owners, all I can say is that we came in, were as nice as most people are, and had very nice service. So to those who called the owners rude, I wonder how much of those issues stemmed from your own disposition.

Visited July 2012
3 Thank tjprocha
Germantown
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“ECO Tour --- the BEST”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We took the ECO tour provided by Happy Ours Kayak. We had a great time!!!! Debbie paced the program based upon our novice kayak skills. We saw turtles, tulip crabs, star fish, els, scallops and many more animals. Debbie was full of information and made our morning very enjoyable. I suggest taking the tour in the morning. The equipment was excellent. This was the highlight of our vacation. We had a party of 5; I can highly recommend this tour; well worth the money. They took very good care of the rookies. There were five adults in our party.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank RobertGermantown
Bossier City, Louisiana
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great Day on The Bay”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We first went by Happy Ours a little after 2PM and Zack carried us down to the kayaks to look at what they had. As we were trying to figure out our options (since it was my wife and I and our 7 yr old son, and our 15 yr old daughter and her friend) Mr. Dan walked down and the first thing he said was he didn't want us going out that late since the tide was headed out but that he wanted us to come back in the morning so we could enjoy ourselves. As we were leaving he told us what we needed to bring with us. I don't feel like he was trying be bossy or mean about it (like some folks on here have stated) he just wanted to make sure we all had a good time. We were going to rent a two seater kayak for my son and myself, a kayak for my wife, and the girls wanted to try the stand up paddle boards. Mr. Dan could have said that's fine and sent us on our way, but didn't. He said I have a kayak that your son can sit in a middle seat and one of the girls needs to take a kayak while the other takes the stand up because they will get tired and need to swap out from time to time. He was right about the swapping out because they got so wore out I even took a turn with it. We visited 3 different little island, seen horseshoe crabs, a lot of stingrays, crabs and fish. The only problem I had with the whole trip was that when we started back we had the winds to our face and it was hard paddling the stand up board in the head wind. That is the only thing that went wrong with our trip and it wasn't Mr. Dan's fault, I just chalk it up to mother nature laughing at me on that stand up board.
If Mr.Dan said something to one of the other renters about applying sunscreen before they got there and they got mad well that's their fault, I would have told them the same thing. We showed up with flip flops on, no water, and no watch. When we returned the next day we had everything he told us we would need and had a great time because of it.
If a person really wanted to gripe I guess having to rent an anchor and a dive flag might be a bit much, I think they could be thrown into the kayak rental but its only a few more dollars. Dang your on vacation, enjoy yourself. As far as Mr. Dan or his wife being rude...they could not have been nicer folks. We only met his wife after we came off the water and she asked if we wanted to use their outdoor shower.
We will rent from them again the next time we are down there only I don't think a stand up paddle board will be in order. The girls got their paddle board fix and I dang sure know I did.

Visited June 2012
5 Thank tazz3223
Carlinville, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Best day of vacation”
Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

Almost didn't go because of some bad reviews. But just goes to show you can't believe everything you read. Dan was as friendly and informative as could be and helped our family have a terrific day on the bay. None of us had any kayaking experience and our ages range from two 40 yr old adults to 15-13-11 year old kids. We all loved it. We will definitely be back!

2 Thank dbeanw