“Great time on the bay”

Happy Ours Kayak and Bike Outpost
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Not sure what transpired between the owners and people who left poor reviews, but three of us found Dan and Debbie to be great. I booked a day ahead for three single kayaks and when the weather the following morning turned out to be more rainy and unfavorable than expected, Dan gladly charged us nothing and set aside kayaks for us in case the weather cleared. It did clear up and we went out on the bay. Dan was out leading a guided tour of people who were rained out the day before, so Debbie got us going and was very kind. The "Nickel and Dimed" comment from another person sounds ridiculous. Water shoes and dry bags are low $2 fees, especially compared to the costs of kayaking in Maine, which my wife and I did a month prior.

Debbie gave us a general tour direction/plan which worked out great. We also looked at their website before showing up, which recommended that if you don't have some closed toe footwear to use on your kayak trip that you should rent water shoes. Most of the other things people have complained about on here were related to their policies that were also clearly spelled out on their site.

As far as having issues with the owners, all I can say is that we came in, were as nice as most people are, and had very nice service. So to those who called the owners rude, I wonder how much of those issues stemmed from your own disposition.

3  Thank tjprocha

Reviewed July 22, 2012

We took the ECO tour provided by Happy Ours Kayak. We had a great time!!!! Debbie paced the program based upon our novice kayak skills. We saw turtles, tulip crabs, star fish, els, scallops and many more animals. Debbie was full of information and made our morning very enjoyable. I suggest taking the tour in the morning. The equipment was excellent. This was the highlight of our vacation. We had a party of 5; I can highly recommend this tour; well worth the money. They took very good care of the rookies. There were five adults in our party.

2  Thank RobertGermantown
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We first went by Happy Ours a little after 2PM and Zack carried us down to the kayaks to look at what they had. As we were trying to figure out our options (since it was my wife and I and our 7 yr old son, and our 15 yr old daughter and her friend) Mr. Dan walked down and the first thing he said was he didn't want us going out that late since the tide was headed out but that he wanted us to come back in the morning so we could enjoy ourselves. As we were leaving he told us what we needed to bring with us. I don't feel like he was trying be bossy or mean about it (like some folks on here have stated) he just wanted to make sure we all had a good time. We were going to rent a two seater kayak for my son and myself, a kayak for my wife, and the girls wanted to try the stand up paddle boards. Mr. Dan could have said that's fine and sent us on our way, but didn't. He said I have a kayak that your son can sit in a middle seat and one of the girls needs to take a kayak while the other takes the stand up because they will get tired and need to swap out from time to time. He was right about the swapping out because they got so wore out I even took a turn with it. We visited 3 different little island, seen horseshoe crabs, a lot of stingrays, crabs and fish. The only problem I had with the whole trip was that when we started back we had the winds to our face and it was hard paddling the stand up board in the head wind. That is the only thing that went wrong with our trip and it wasn't Mr. Dan's fault, I just chalk it up to mother nature laughing at me on that stand up board.
If Mr.Dan said something to one of the other renters about applying sunscreen before they got there and they got mad well that's their fault, I would have told them the same thing. We showed up with flip flops on, no water, and no watch. When we returned the next day we had everything he told us we would need and had a great time because of it.
If a person really wanted to gripe I guess having to rent an anchor and a dive flag might be a bit much, I think they could be thrown into the kayak rental but its only a few more dollars. Dang your on vacation, enjoy yourself. As far as Mr. Dan or his wife being rude...they could not have been nicer folks. We only met his wife after we came off the water and she asked if we wanted to use their outdoor shower.
We will rent from them again the next time we are down there only I don't think a stand up paddle board will be in order. The girls got their paddle board fix and I dang sure know I did.

5  Thank tazz3223
Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

Almost didn't go because of some bad reviews. But just goes to show you can't believe everything you read. Dan was as friendly and informative as could be and helped our family have a terrific day on the bay. None of us had any kayaking experience and our ages range from two 40 yr old adults to 15-13-11 year old kids. We all loved it. We will definitely be back!

2  Thank dbeanw
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Our family rented two tandem kayaks for 4 hours. Dan (the owner) gave us a route to take and everything was fine for the first hour. After that, we hit extremely shallow water and could not paddle, instead had to pull our kayaks back to the landing after only three short hours. Dan's comment was that he should have checked the tide charts, and would have sent us in a different direction. If we visit Cape San Blas again, we will try a different outfitter.

4  Thank barharbor08