“Do not go here!!!!!”

Happy Ours Kayak and Bike Outpost
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Debbie and Dan are both extremely rude. We stopped be the day before to make sure we would be OK in the kayaks as we only had 2 adults with 4 kids and were reassured that we would be fine. On the day of the trip we arrived only to be scolded that sunscreen should be applied before arriving along with various other snide comments and remarks. After getting in the boats we were given very little instruction on how to operate the kayak. We were then told by Dan " I've told you everything I can tell you"...really seems to me that their is more to learn about kayaking in 5 minutes or so. After attempted to kayak out of the bay with very little success we returned to more rude comments from both Dan and Debbie. They did return our money wish I guess was some grand gesture according to Debbie but I would have much rather had a "happy" experience. Do yourself avoid this place and avoid your children's tears on the way home.

14  Thank Azkmommy
All reviews
"prices are very reasonable"
"guided trip"
"herons"
"ocean"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed August 8, 2011

This is our second trip to Cape San Blas and we have experienced excellent customer service from all the other companies we used except his one. Unless you like to be berated and hung up on then I wouldn't recommend you contact this company. They must be under the mistaken notion that there are no other places to call for rentals. Luckily we were able to find plenty of other vendors who were more than "happy" to answer our questions and take our money. Save yourself from unnecessary rudeness and choose anyone else.

6  Thank Reviewer1483771
Reviewed July 17, 2011

We took our two children, 8 & 6, on an eco-tour with Dan during our recent vacation to the Cape. Dan was amazing with our two girls and it was the highlight of our trip for them. I loved the fact that they learned not to be scared of wildlife, but to respect it and learn from it. We saw starfish, horseshoe crabs, rays and a sponge "nursery" full of baby sea life.

We will be back again. As to the reviewer below, I don't think your review is a reflection of this company or the service they provide. This is the cleanest bay in the US and would greatly benefit if everyone used the "leave no trace" rule. After spending the day with Dan, I'm sure he was just joking about your beer. Relax. He is a top notch guide with lots of great stories and lessons to share.

Thank you Happy Ours for a great experience.

1  Thank locogringa
Reviewed July 3, 2011

My mom, in her 63 years had never been snorkeling and was completely amazed at the marine life we encountered. excited about a sand dollar I found with a Cross on it, told me she would cherish it forever... that idea changed when we got back to shore. Dan was awaiting our return, and also to lecture us on all things we had done wrong. "WHAT! is that a beer can?" (yes, we had a beer with our lunch) then he makes my mom "return" her sand dollar, saying "If we let everyone take a shell, there would be no more shells!" I am a boat captain, with years of marine experience, and know that sand dollar was not alive! You are not the USCG! not the FWC! nor do you own St Joe Bay! My family, friends, clients, and the many tourists I meet DAILY will know the story of my mom with tears in her eyes after the way she was treated. We will come back to St Joe, but you will never have our business again!

12  Thank tipfish
See more reviews
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Dan with Happy Ours Kayak and Canoe Rentals was a fantastic guide! My husband, 11 yr old son and I learned so much and really enjoyed our time on St Joe Bay. Having recently purchased our own kayaks, we really appreciated all the extra paddling pointers and tips Dan provided us with on our tour. Dan's cast net throwing technique was great! My son has not stopped talking about his experience and new skill. I guess now we’ll have to break down and purchase a cast net to use in some of our local waters and for future trips back to the Cape. If you are heading to the Cape San Blas area booking a trip with Happy Ours is a must!!!

2  Thank SharonCW