“And you charge for old brown lettuce salads?"”

Sunset Coastal Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Cincinnati, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“And you charge for old brown lettuce salads?"”
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Had dinner here on Friday, August 12, 2011. All three of us ordered salads with our dinners. When the salads came, each had an abundance of brown lettuce in them. I was stunned that they would serve lettuce I would have thrown away at home. I pointed it out to the server and her excuse was that they cut the lettuce earlier in the day so it's brown by dinner (6 pm.). By the looks of the lettuce they cut it up last week not earlier in the day. I told her that I did not want the salad and returned it. The other two ate "around" the brown parts of theirs. Then, the server has the audacity to come over and tell me that she talked to the manager and he/she would "comp" the salad like they were doing me some huge favor. I laughed out loud.I said "he/she has no choice - I am not paying for something I didn't eat".
They have this whole big statement on their menu about being dedicated to excellence and if something isn't satisfactory they will go to any lengths to make it right. I found out that statement is B.S. because no apology was made by the server or the manager. While my entree was fine in regard to taste it wasn't hot but I didn't complain. It would have been aggravating to them just like the brown lettuce. I would not dine here again

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank Lori D

“Great view! Poor food and service!”
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Drove from sgi on the recommendation of a friend. Waitress was inattentive and rude. Food was overpriced and mediocre at best. Asking the waitress to split the bill was like asking her split an atom. She agreed but appeared disgusted. Fortunately for her 18% gratuity was added by her. She deserved much less. I tried the pecan crusted mahi mahi. The bread crbs on the top were stale and tasted like a poor box variety. It was my sons tenth birthday and we wanted it to be special. Will never return.

1 Thank SleepDr
Milano
“Good food, the atmosphere could be better”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

This is the perfect restaurant: located on the coast, with a fantastic view of the sunset, and good food.
We went there to celebrate our anniversary and had an entrée (scallops), a main course (catch of the day) and a glass of wine.
You can eat fresh fish cooked in different ways. I also looked at the dessert and they were inviting, but we had our own cake so we did not try anything.
The personnel is kind and professional and everything was perfect.
The only thing I would like to suggest, being a restaurant who wants to be elegant, is to use tablecloths because that is really a sign that discriminates between a casual restaurant and an elegant one.
A restaurant without tablecloths can cook divinely, but there is something missing.

• Visited July 2011
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Great food, great service, great views.”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

My wedding anniversary was coming up, so I decided to take my wife to Sunset Coastal Grill based on the menu and the reviews online. Also, some locals I spoke with recommended it.

My wife and I had the Oysters Rockefeller and the Tuna Tataki for appetizers, and they were good. The entrees, however, were exceptional!

My wife ordered the Pecan Crusted MahiMahi with rice pilaf and sugar snap peas. The fish was outstanding. Everything was perfect about it: the texture, taste, and temperature. My wife kept exclaiming the goodness. She wants to replicate it soon at home. The pilaf had great texture and seasoning, and the peas tasted fresh and flavorful.

I ordered the 14 oz. ribeye with the sweet potato souffle and sugar snap peas (the veggie of the day). The ribeye was tender and juicy with great flavor. The sweet potato was flavorful and well-balanced.

Our server Shannon was great. He was attentive to our needs, was professional while being warm and engaging, and displayed a great knowledge of the menu. He brought us out a wonderful chocolate brownie souffle that was on the house.

The wine menu wasn't the most extensive, but we were able to get a bottle of Rodney Strong Zinfandel that was good for $25.

My only suggestion is for Sunset to include their wine list online.

The host I spoke with on the phone and the host in person was also friendly, attentive, and professional. We felt welcome there. I definitely recommend anyone who wants great food, great service, and great views of the bay to visit Sunset Coastal Grill.

• Visited August 2011
“Nothing great! Food takes forever!”
Reviewed August 6, 2011

My family and I went there for dinner. The service was very slow and the food took even longer. We ended up taking it back to our beach house! The food was not that good either. I am easy to please and was very disappointed; huge waste of money.