“Beautiful, relaxing, and hope to get back there soon!!!!!”
Review of Cape San Blas

Cape San Blas
Reviewed June 14, 2011

We stayed the first week of June 2011. Our party included two teenagers, a 6 year old, an 18 month old, two 60+, and four 30+. We stayed at Mint to Be right on the gulf, it was a beautiful vacation home, very accomodating. We were looking for relaxation and tranquility, and we certainly found it. Most days, we had the beach completely to ourselves. If you are looking for a place that has shopping and places to eat, it's not a good place to go. There is only one restaurant that serves burgers, subs, pizza, and ice cream - Coneheads. We didn't eat there, so I don't know what the food is like. There is one gas station that also sells hot/cold sandwiches and such; they also sell souveniers. There is one other place called "The Trading Post." They sell everything the gas station does except for gas. We went shopping in Port St Joe one day, it was about a 15 min drive. They had some nice shops. We drove to Appalachicola one night and ate at a seafood grill, I can't remember the name(I apologize). It was pretty good...I am still baffled by the fact that we had to drive so far to find a seafood restaurant. They have little seafood markets in the area where you can buy seafood to cook. We thoroughly enjoyed our vacation, and didn't want to leave. The water was beautiful, the weather was perfect, and the shelling was fun. We bought large round tubes and rode the waves every evening. The kids loved that the most, I think. We didn't see any jellyfish at all. The guys fished from the shore and water daily. They caught a lot of whiting, they aren't good for eating, but they were just fishing for sport anyway. Not many crabs or turtles were spotted. The shells were beautiful, and easy to find. So much fun. I can't wait to visit again!!!

3  Thank mandyjane1981
There are newer reviews for Cape San Blas

Reviewed July 8, 2010

Cape San Blas is a wonderful, beautiful place. Our family spent a week there the end of June.... Ages in our party 72, 69, 42, 47, 34, 33, 1 year old, 16, 19 and 20.

I will agree with the previous poster who said there isn't much there and our teenage party was a bit bored. They rented a kayak one day and also a beach cart. One day they drove into Panama City Beach (about an hour and 15 minutes away) and went to a go-kart park, shopped, etc.

Dining options ARE limited... we cooked at our house most of the time and traveled to Apalachicola (about 30 minutes) and Port St. Joe (about 20 minutes) for dinner..... We didn't think it was a big deal considering we live in a rural area and have limited dining options where we live. Both drives are very pretty. We did eat at Coneheads once. We were able to sit inside (it was raining). Food was good, service was SLOOOW (but we've found this to be par for the course in the south [no offense to anyone, but Midwestern service is pretty fast in general]) and it was staffed by a bunch of teenagers who didn't really seem interested in being there (except for one gentleman waiter who was pleasant and prompt).

We ate at Pepper's in Port St. Joe (good) and Boss Oyster in Apalachicola. Food was good, but service at the oyster place was again very slow. We also ate at Sunset Coast Grill in Port St. Joe. Service there was great and food was good, although a little pricey for what you get. They didn't have ice cream to add to your dessert. Not that I needed it... but.... sometimes you need ice cream! :)

The beach was FANTASTIC. Practically deserted.... my daughter (15 months) loved the water and the beach.... and the waves formed a little pool of water so she could sit in about 6 inches of water and play. Shells were abundant. We found SO many cool shells, many of them intact. The sand was white powder. We did notice some seaweed and I don't believe that anyone comes to pick it up like they do in places like Gulf Shores, etc. Water was somewhat rough towards the end of our stay due to Hurricane Alex.

We rented Just Coastin' through Cape San Blas Vacation Rentals. It was a great, great house. It was spacious and had a wonderful screened in porch where my daughter could securely play. The only weird thing about the house was that it was in two different time zones which isn't the owner's fault, but it was a bit confusing. The house was decorated very nice and had a private boardwalk to the beach. All bedrooms faced the ocean.

We made day trips to Apalachiocola to shop. Cute, great shops, esp. check out the Grady Market. It is off the main street so we almost missed it. We also drove to St. George Island to see the lighthouse and visited the Cape San Blas Lighthouse. They were both very cool. I would have liked to look around St. George more but we didn't have time.

If you are looking for a great, relaxing, laid back beach vacation I would highly recommend Cape San Blas. If you are looking for a "spring break" type atmosphere this place is not for you. Cell phone reception is very spotty, too, just an FYI.

I would love to go back... now just praying the oil spill doesn't ruin this little piece of paradise.

4  Thank Lucille94
Reviewed June 14, 2010

We just returned from a week at Cape San Blas. Everything I read about the beach and the uncrowded area is true. However, we discovered that it's almost too isolated if you plan to take pre-teens or teens with you for a family vacation. Literally, the only place to get something to eat at Cape San Blas is Coneheads. It's a little building near the state park that serves burgers and such. You can only sit outside (pretty hot there in June) They stop serving everything except ice cream after 8 PM and are closed on Sundays. So, you will need to drive to Port St Joe (about 30 minute drive) to get anything to eat or any activities such as parasailing or renting jet skis. One thing we did do was rent a "beach golf cart" to ride up and down and explore the shore. We wish there would have been scooters to rent and ride and explore the beautiful homes. So, all in all, it is a nice place to visit if you want to go to the grocery store and plan to spend your week solely at the beach or pool and cook your own meals. If you like to enjoy the beach, but also do some activities, I would suggest somewhere else. Otherwise, you will spend your time in the car driving to Port St Joe everyday. Our dog had a wonderful time looking for crabs on the beach and everyone does a great job of cleaning up after their pets on the beach. You would never know they are allowed there. Also, building a bonfire on the beach was pretty cool. Beautiful place, but can get boring pretty quickly if you are entertaining teens.

3  Thank Izzy350
Reviewed August 23, 2009

We decided to go to the cape because we wanted to bring our dogs, they enjoyed it very much and it was nice to not have to stress them with boarding. We stayed in Barrier Dunes...I really enjoyed the lay-out of the resort, it was very well maintained and clean, and almost everyone had pets.Walking the dogs became a social affair, it was quite pleasant. The beaches were much nicer then I expected...not Destin...but still not a dissapointment at all.
We enjoyed lazy days on the beach, swimming with the dogs...campfires and smores in tthe evenings on the beach as we watched some of the most amazing sunsets and even a little fishing from the beach. We even went horseback riding down the beach...a really nice treat. The only thing I did not enjoy too much was the state park...but it did have a highlight when we spotted 3 deer in the woods. It was really amazing to see deer at the beach.
I would recommend Cape San Blas if you are looking for relaxation,seclusion and nature, there is really nothing to do other than beach activities, everything else is 30 minutes away, even the grocery. We did have 2 enjoyable meals...1 at dockside in the marina in Port St. Joe and the other at Peppers, a mexican restaurant...also in Port St. Joe....we love mexican food and can not say enough about how wonderful the food was here.

5  Thank abecin
Reviewed July 5, 2009

Don't come here if you want noise, bars, tons of activities. It is a quiet place without any large hotels. Rent a home or condo here and have a relaxing vacation. Our family loves this place! http://www.flickr.com/photos/nblumenthal/2461513195/

1  Thank nanseb1