“Best Of Beach and Bay”

Whispering Pines of Cape San Blas
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Saint Joe
Whispering Pines of Cape San Blas
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is a great place if your torn between a beach vacation or tooling around in the calm bay. A short walk gets you both places. Cabins are well used but spotless. Great for dogs who like adventure. Owners are very friendly and helpful, it's like having a friend with a seashore cabin. We'll be back!

Room Tip: There is no fitness center, but walking around and discovering the area is a fitness regime.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank maddaw10
There are newer reviews for Whispering Pines of Cape San Blas

Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

The owners here are so nice and helpful! We lost our keys at the beach down the road, and they gave us a ride back to our cabin and helped us find a locksmith. Talk about full service! :) We stayed for three nights in the yellow cabin. Our cabin was clean and spacious. It's obvious they take very good care if their property. We loved the trees, palms and wildlife that surrounded the cabin. It's a nice walk to both the bay or the beach. We loved going out to the bay and watching all the crabs scurry around. You can walk out on the sandbars and see all sorts of shells and creatures. There are also several public beaches 5 or so miles down the road. The rates were great and reasonable for this area.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank ArkansasTraveller479
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have a very large extended family. We decided to have a group vacation, only 25 or so of us made it, but we had a great time. We rented 3 cabins, and thoroughly enjoyed our time on the cape. The cabins were roomy enough to sleep 6 adults or a lot more kids. Each cabin had a very large screened porch and a nice size deck, as well. The boardwalk to the bay ran behind one of the cabins, so access to the boats was easy.
Take care of it like you would your own home. This is not a hotel, so do not expect hotel services, but the owners were gracious and the setting was beautiful. The cabins were well maintained, and the bathrooms and kitchens were clean. Everyone enjoyed their time at the Whispering Pines, and isn't that the important part about a vacation?

Room Tip: If you want to be near the water, ask for the one at the end of the drive, it has the boardwalk behi...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jennybenny369
Reviewed July 27, 2011

This was an awesome place to enjoy what Florida should be about. Pristine white beaches, very few visitors. Access to the bay and the ocean from the property. Preferred driving about 4 miles out the peninsula to the public beach for easier access and restrooms and showers. Cabins were well stocked with supplies and were clean and in order. Beds were excellent and AC worked very well. Enjoyed the screened porch to stay way from mosquitos. Very dog friendly and great location for dogs that enjoy the water. Enjoyed a new weber grill cooking freshly caught Mahi Mahi and shrimp from a local seafood market. Close enough to drive to Port St Joe or Apalachicola for restaurants or shopping, yet far enough away. There are three or four cabins on the property but you hardly see anyone else around. Overall a very nice place to get away to and would definitely come back.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank rapurcell
Reviewed June 10, 2011

I really liked the beaches, there was nobody there in the peak of the season. The houses are from 1980 and are priced like it. I had a great time but if you are looking for something nice, this is not it. It's just out dated, not gross or dirty in any way, just old. Great place to visit and will be coming back for sure. We will be staying in a nicer,newer, and closer to the beach house. Sue was nice as nice could be and takes care of all your needs & questions!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jazzyau
Reviewed October 27, 2010

If you want something better, go here.

Cape San Blas is one of Florida's few undiscovered/ignored secrets. It's a treasure of an area, and, while you're there, Whispering Pines is a nice place to stay. The peninsula has beaches to equal those of Panama City or Destin, but there is a very good chance that you will be the only person enjoying them on any given day. This is also one of the VERY few places left in Florida that won't throw you in jail for taking your dog to the beach, and Whispering Pines is actually dog-friendly rather than just dog-tolerant. They don't even charge extra for the pups, which is unheard of these days.

The owners are extremely nice and my cabin was more than satisfactory, especially for the price. You need to bear in mind that this is a very harsh environment. Being on a peninsula, the air is practically made of salt, and salt causes corrosion and all manner of other damage. It is also hot, humid and windy for most of the year, and that takes its toll on buildings. Don't expect the cabins to sparkle, especially from the outside. Besides, they're cabins; have you ever been to a cabin that didn't look rustic?

The inside of my cabin was definitely a little dated, but clean. The AC, TV, shower, fridge and microwave all worked fine. I didn't test the stove, but it seemed to be in good order. The cabin had a large screened in porch with a picnic table, and a deck with a Weber grill. The no-see-ums kind of got to me on the porch, but there's nothing to be done about that since no-see-ums can fit through screens. This is Florida; you have to deal with these sorts of things. (Actually, I kind of smile when I read a review of a fancy hotel in Florida, and the reviewer was shocked, SHOCKED, to see a roach.) The kitchen is well-stocked with plates, glasses, etc., which may be mismatched but are completely functional and, again, clean.

Whispering Pines is blessed to have a boardwalk that connects to both the beach and the bay. You can walk one way to fish or scallop and the other way to tan. I didn't go to the beach, but the owners told me it was relatively-hard sand, probably better for walking than for relaxing or swimming. I did go to the bay and fish. I'm a terrible fisherman, so I won't review the fishing either. There were plenty of bait fish, which would be a great sign for anyone but me.

Depending upon where you want to set up camp, the "good" beach is about a two- to ten-minute drive out the peninsula. That doesn't bother me one bit, but I suppose I can understand that some people want the beach right outside their room. Never mind that, when the beach is right outside your room, it is also right outside about 1,000 other rooms, but to each his own.

This is a sleepy area, and there isn't much going on. There are a handful of bars/restaurants, but this isn't going to have the party atmosphere of Miami or even Panama City. There certainly won't be bungee jumping or go-karts. This is a place to get away and relax, and you can certainly relax at Whispering Pines. The foliage around the cabins is so thick, you won't ever see or hear your neighbors unless you're on the driveway leading in and out.

Certain people would be happier in other areas of Florida and with different accommodations. It depends what you're looking for. I love Cape San Blas and I really liked Whispering Pines. The more people that want the Ritz in Miami, the happier I'll be. I'll take the genuinely-friendly owners over the paid-to-be-friendly managers any day. I'll take the pristine white-sand beach a few minutes away over the crowded beach right outside my hotel any day. I'll take peace and quiet over thumping base, moonlight over neon light and traveling with my dog over leaving her in a filthy kennel any day.

So bring your beer and burgers, your towel and sunscreen, and your dog if you want, and don't hesitate to bring them to Whispering Pines. Or don't. More for me. ;)

• Stayed: October 2010
14  Thank kilroy76
Reviewed October 27, 2010

I loved it here. It was so quiet and very clean. The screened in porch and the walk to the bay on the boardwalk was my favorite thing.
The first day we were there I actually saw an owl and she was like 7 feet in front of me. That was awesome.
My husband and I got some time alone without a phone or interruptions I will come again and again..

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
#3 of 5 in Apalachicola
Turtle Glass at Windmark Beach
Turtle Glass at Windmark Beach
#7 of 7 in Port Saint Joe

Been to Whispering Pines of Cape San Blas? Share your experiences!